534 45.41%
  • No.

642 54.59%
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not flatfooted, but I use Finger Shoes for a while now (for running and leisure time, not for Badminton - I tried, but the blisters are too awful).

Anyhow. If you read forums on those "shoes" (they aren't really shoes), one recurring theme is often that for flat-footed people, the additional work the foot has to deliver tends to cure or at least improve flat-footedness after a while (months, I assume).

I love them for running - since I do, I notice muscles in places I never noticed before (calves, feet...); and you automatically adopt a forward stance (on the ball of the foot instead of the heel). Since I use them, I've definitely become much quicker in Badminton as well, since I never ever get caught standing on my heels; standing/running on your balls in the ready position just gets second nature.

Has anyone here experience with them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can't cure flat-footedness, as you can't remake the arch, so that forum fires off some BS...

On topic - I've actually got the opposite problem: my right foots arch is too high which means I've got less foot to stand on, resulting in my right foot always (even when I walk) being turned outwards.

I've been told numerous times that my footwork should suck because of it and that I shouldn't be able to play badminton since I've got asthma as well - but as someone else said; practice makes your overcome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No I'm glad that I'm not!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am extremely flat footed. Sooo flat am I –
    that when I get out of a swimming pool and walk around—the wet imprint of my foot is dry in the center
    ---yes—really. Wet all the way around the top, bottom, and sides---and dry in the center—both feet

--just like a plunger or suction cup-- now that is flat—Jack—
    Wonder if I could walk straight up a wall?

Spider Man here I come---

Yet, at the same time, I have never experienced any problems with or with out shoes.
    Fortunately I am very athletic and was
    raised to be an athlete--- University Scholarship –
    Played and coached Tennis at the College level-
    ---in Track—ran the 100 and Long Jump.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I mean is--I don't believe my extreme flat "footed-ness" created any problems.
    I have heard many people w/ high arches or fallen arches complain about shoes that don't fit and/or have problems w/ their feet. Luckily I can wear the cheapest, poorest fitting shoes and never experience any foot problems--oh, and I have asthma also-and
    it has never stop my training.---So does this confuse the topic more??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a flat-footed person.. hehehehe...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't leave footprints in the sand... only toe prints and heels...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure how the whole flat footed arguement ties into everything, but atleast alot of it can be compensated by being in tip top shape

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trmun View Post
    You can't cure flat-footedness, as you can't remake the arch, so that forum fires off some BS...
    Actually - you can in the majority of cases. Whilst custom orthotics can give some remodelling of the foot if worn at a young age, increasingly used is a simple procedure called subtalor artheroesis or hypocure implant, which is a small stent fitted into the sinus tarsi process of the subtalor joint, which effectively prevents the excessive stresses caused by extreme range pronation from flattening the foot at mid-stance. The procedure has been used for 10+ years in the USA and UK with excellent results. We are performing these procedures on juvenille and paediatric flat foot as well as adult acquired flat foot - most recently on a 23 y/o olympic 400m hurdler with superb results!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Severely flat footed, my arch literally just caved in.....i got used to it, went from being the second worst player in elementary to the best doubles player in my current junior year in highschool, just saying, you will get used to it eventually, it took me errrrr, 4 years xP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am flat footed as well, severely actually. I have no arch whatsoever on my feet but it doesn't seem to affect me at all. I believe it's how you train and if your training is sufficient. My past coaches have taught me good footwork drills and even though I am flatfooted, I have much better court movement than most players at my club. If you think it matters a lot, then it's just your mental state saying that as an excuse to blame your low performance.
    But of course, this is coming from someone who is only an intermediate regional level, not even provincial. So I guess in extreme circumstance, national and international players must surely be at a disadvatage compared to other solely based on how every little detail matters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there,

Do you mind telling me how old you were when you started wearing the Birkenstock sandals and subsequently noticed an arch develop? My girlfriend just bought me a pair, and my feet are so flat that they actually cut the skin. Reading your post however shed some hope. I'm 25, male, and hoping that if I push through the pain, I might actually get to wear them comfortably and maybe get some arch happening!

Thank you so much!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being flat-footed just means that the metatarsal on the instep of your foot has shifted down below neutral pulling the hallucis and tibialis muscle along with it. That's why the majority of overpronaters (act of your foot leaning inwards as you walk) feel a sharp burn or throbbing pain when they are active for a while. No procedure is able to correct your bone resting lower than normal, but the right footwear can reset the bone while you wear them. Any shoe with a stiffer secondary foam unit in the instep (usually distinguished by it's grey color) will push the bone back into a neutral position allowing for a consistent gait cycle. I highly recommend any asics court shoe with Duomax, you will tend to want to stay away from nike seeing as how they don't really make a shoe intended for those who are flat-footed, the closest they come is a dynamic support system which ends up causing more harm; overpronation calls for static not dynamic. The right shoe coupled with stretching extensively making the tibialis pliable will reduce the greater majority of discomfort felt while active.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saixx View Post
    If you think it matters a lot, then it's just your mental state saying that as an excuse to blame your low performance.
    I am also severely flat footed. It doesn't affect my movement or agility. It does however effect the endurance... of my foot. In place of my arch over the decades I have 'trained' the muscle to hold the arch (instead of naturally held by tendons). This muscle does tire quickly and is a disadvantage that people with arches wouldn't even have. so its not a mental excuse. If you have flat feet you are not necessarily less capablebut definitely biomechanically less efficient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been playing for almost 8 years already and I have to say that being flat footed really has its fair share of disadvantages.. However, my teammates who're flatfooted all have custom made orthopedic arch supports which they place inside their shoes to compensate for it.. furthermore, we're not allowed to wear slippers.. Only sandals with heavy support on the arch area (such as birkenstock sandals) are allowed.. It hurt like hell when we were still kids, but really worth it after a few years. Heck, we're so dependent on our arch supports now that we can't even play without them anymore >.<

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've only noticed that I have very little balance, and blame it on my flat MASSIVE fleet

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast