• No.

648 54.64%
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by kwun
    what effect does the custom orthodicts have? does it "heal" the flatfooted-ness? or just more comfortable?
    More the second, it basically minimises the amount of overpronation of your foot relieving stress on the foot/ankle/ligaments in the area (if you want a detailed explaination of why overpronation is bad look it up or read the rest of this thread). Why are custom ones better? When you first start, you usually get an orthotic that is molded to your foot but only raises the angle slightly as Break-My-String said at first they are damn painful (in most cases) and you can't handle a complete correction (assuming you have really flat feet (like me :P)). Then you either get your first set modified, or get another set with a better angle.

In my case it has healed the effect of the flatfootedness to a certain degree ...

PS Flat feet have been shown to case serious neck and back problems in fact getting orthotics a couple of years after I first got mine clear up a lot of my dad's neck problems.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

thanks. sounds like something that i should be looking into.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by kwun
    thanks. sounds like something that i should be looking into.
    Note, I can't emphasise enough though at the start it will be incredibly painful. When I first got mine I was 16 and after about two weeks they hurt so much I gave up on them and stopped wearing them. I only started wearing them again because I realised that I couldn't even stay standing without pain when I was shopping with my gf (though it was a good excuse to get out of it ;P) so I started again. If this thread has convinced you to get orthotics, well you'll probably hate us for a month or two and think we're just sadistic, don't say I didn't warn you

PS when you first get them, I don't recommend playing baddy in them, give your feet time to get used to them before you try that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here ! Here! Don't try playing badminton with your first set of orthodicts until you are very comfortable in them (ie/ you don't even notice you are wearing them).

The one down-side of wearing orthodicts (as I had posted earlier) is, at home, I don't wear shoes in the house, so you don't get any support. You may need to get a new/clean shoe for "in-house" use only.

The orthodicts is about 2/3 the length of your foot, it basically starts at the ball of your foot and goes to your heel, there is nothing under your toes.

When you start buying new shoes, you will need to try the shoes on with the orthodicts, and try shoes starting a half size larger than usual. Yes, that means most of your existing shoes will no longer fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fortunately i don't wear orthodicts. I was curious, do orthodicts increase wear on the shoes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on what expert say.. let it be natural if you are a flat footed. Its not so good to wear ortodicts.. it will make your hips and spine unbalanced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by cooler
    fortunately i don't wear orthodicts. I was curious, do orthodicts increase wear on the shoes?
    I have tried various badminton shoes with orthodicts and usually the outside sole, uppers, or the inside sole (where the toes are) wear out first.

The only time I had the heel support fail with the orthodicts was when the shoe was trying to be ultra-light and the honey-comb design under the heel was poorly designed (I had an identical pair without the orthodicts and the heel support failed also).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ants
    Based on what expert say.. let it be natural if you are a flat footed. Its not so good to wear ortodicts.. it will make your hips and spine unbalanced.
    where is the expert(s) quote?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Addidtional Criteria?

I'm not too sure if this question would enhance your survey, Kwun?

Of the players who responded they were "flat-footed"...

How many of you wear orthodicts?
    If yes, is the orthodicts custom-made or off-the-shelf?

For myself, I am flat-footed & wear custom made orthodicts.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am flat-footed, and its true you tire more easily. You also wear out badminton shoes faster and you have frequent foot callluses. I got over this problem by fitting a pair of customized foot orthoses. Now I don't have to use knee braces and I don't have anymore pains on my knee. The orthoses are quite expensive at HK$1380. They make a cast of both your feet and use a computer to map your feet. They have this service in the US but I believe it is even more expensive over there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Addidtional Criteria?

Originally posted by Break-My-String
    ... <snip>
    Of the players who responded they were "flat-footed"...

How many of you wear orthodicts?
    If yes, is the orthodicts custom-made or off-the-shelf?

<snip> ...
    I'm flat-footed and wear off-the-shelf "Superfeet" brand insoles from SportChek. Having SOME form of arch-support greatly increases mobility on the court.

-dave

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

wood_22_chuck / taneepak,

hm... very interesting and interested. can you tell me more?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd been playing for about a year with stock insoles before I discovered the "Superfeet" recommendation on this forum. After hard games of badminton, I do experience knee and feet soreness. Climing stairs was PAINFUL later in the day, and the next day.

On court, it would be painful to lunge to the front for a drop, and I would hesitate to reach, if I had to bound more than two steps.

The Superfeet insoles have a hard molded "cup" at the heel area with arch-support, underneath a foam (?) sole. The foam sole is your-foot-length, but the mold is goes from your arch to your heel, so maybe half-a-foot to a third-of-a-foot. Not 12 inches, but your foot-length.

The improvement is remarkable. Pain-free. No knee pain/soreness nor foot soreness after/during the game. Lunging for drops is "trouble-free" i.e. I don't sub-consciously hesitate to go for them. At around CAD 30 a pair, they work well for me.

I even bought a pair for my leather casual shoes that I've never worn for a year, because the inside sole is extremely flat, and I'd get foot soreness after an hour of use/shopping.

Overall, I think if you're flat-footed, you do need RIGID support at the arch area, not the soft cushiony types that shoe salesperson would try to sell you. I was quite surprise, as it was counter-intuitive to me at the time. If I do get knee/foot discomfort again, I'd look into custom orthotics ... but for now, I'm extremely happy with my CAD 30 insoles.

Oh, I forgot to mention, when inspecting the entire insole, I noticed the soft foam insole is made in Canada, but the hard cup arch support is made in the US, and patented, so I'm sure you can get them there.

Hope this helps.

-dave
    Last edited by wood_22_chuck; 01-12-2004 at 06:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Superfeet actually are pretty good I use them at the snow since it's a complete, utter *#%$ing pain in the arse to put your orthotics into boots and I just leave my superfeet in the boots permanantly.

Are they as good as custom orthotics, nope definately not. Is it worth a try since they are only 10-20% of the cost of custom orthotics, absolutely. If you can, get them made up at a shoe store that actually has a certified boot fitter (forgotten the proper US name for it), or funnily enough, go a snow store that has a boot fitter on site (which a lot of owners are) and get them made up there.

What's the difference simply put? Superfeet provide support in the shape of your foot, basically they take a computerised mold of your foot and make a set of insoles to match. Custom orthotics provide correction, taking a mold and making changes to improve your foot position.
    Last edited by Pecheur; 01-12-2004 at 07:27 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

thanks for the info guys. i will try it out and see whether it makes a difference for me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Foot orthotics are not arch supports. They are used to correct wrong striking angles of your feet, which can cause foot fatique, pain in the knees or back. Foot orthotics correct slightly the angles your foot strikes a walking or running surface. They make standing, walking and running more efficient and comfortable.
    They come in full length as well as 2/3 length.
    It is true that you might have to discard all your existing shoes, because the orthotics require more space in your shoes to accommodate it, or that your shoes are not rigid enough for the orthotics to work as intended. Air cushioning shoes and shoes with too soft heel and shoe bottom are no no. Yes, you will require another foot orthotics for home use, but this can come in the form of slip-ons.
    You can buy custom made shoes to fit your foot orthotics. I don't do that. Instead I take my foot orthotics to shop for new shoes. For badminton shoes, try the anti-twist shoes from Mizuno or Yonex. The shoes must not twist, must not bend in the middle, must have stiff heels and the insole of your shoes must be flat to ensure it does not alter the correction angles of your foot orthotics. You have to discard the insoles of all shoes to accommodate your foot orthotics. You also need to allow your body some time to gradually adapt to it.
    Despite all these bother, I am a great believer in foot orthotics My wife and son are converts (they both have abnormally high archs), and the foot orthotics have got rid of their knee pains.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have any pictures of the superfeet? I myself is flat footed.. but i don't wear any insoles.. so far its good for me. I was told that if you were to wear orthodontics or insoles , you have to wear both sides. Better still don't wear any because it will affect the positions of your spinal joints due to uneven leg lengths.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast