User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you flat-footed?

Voters
1186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

538 45.36%
  • No.

648 54.64%
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ants
    Do you have any pictures of the superfeet? I myself is flat footed.. but i don't wear any insoles.. so far its good for me. I was told that if you were to wear orthodontics or insoles , you have to wear both sides. Better still don't wear any because it will affect the positions of your spinal joints due to uneven leg lengths.

Which one? Pecheur is referring to ones that is molded to your sole.

I used one out of the box, readily available at local "sportmarts" here in Canada.

-dave
    p.s. I wonder if Kwun tried em out. Any reviews?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wood_22_chuck
    Which one? Pecheur is referring to ones that is molded to your sole.

I used one out of the box, readily available at local "sportmarts" here in Canada.

-dave
    p.s. I wonder if Kwun tried em out. Any reviews?
    the one out of the box.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i tried out the superfeet. both the blue and green versions.

i used the blue ones for badminton a couple of times. the problem i found with them is that the insole folds quite easily, especially on a hard lunge. there seems to be a lack of adhesion between the insole and the sole and i was not prepared to glue it on without much experimentation.

i use the green one for daily use, it was originally not very comfortable. but it has done little more than that to me so far.

so i don't have very conclusive reviews. perhaps i should try it on badminton again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the one out of the box.
    I'll take a picture of them when I get home. Don't have the box though.

Fold quite easily? Hmmm, I trimmed the length but left a bit extra at the tip, so it's REALLY snug against all sides of the shoe. I think it even curls up slightly at the front. So I don't experience folding, although I feel that it "lifts" or separates from the shoe insole on sideways lunges.

-dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default superfeet picture

Okay, here you go. One very used Superfeet insole pic.

Wonder if this'll now show up on the streets of KL's night markets

-dave
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just talking about fits.
    Eggroll told me that one of the feature of yonex's lady shoes is that they are made for foot with less arching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huh? (This is to lengthen the msg to over 15 characters.)

-dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

didnt someone here said flat footed mean a foot with less than average arches? Beside less arches, ladies yy shoes is narrower and a bit more toe-in.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have any pictures of the superfeet? I myself is flat footed.. but i don't wear any insoles.. so far its good for me. I was told that if you were to wear orthodontics or insoles , you have to wear both sides. Better still don't wear any because it will affect the positions of your spinal joints due to uneven leg lengths.
    It is true that foot orthosis, which are used to correct foot over-pronation or over-supination, come in pairs. These devices are not off-the-shelve insoles; they are customized for each individual. People with flat feet usually suffer from over-pronation by as much as 10 to 12 degrees vs the normal 6 to 8 degrees that is when walking. For high impact sports like badminton, flat feet over-pronation could be even worse, with increased stress on your feet and achilles tendon.
    Aside from orthotics, you can buy antipronation shoes, but I doubt if they make such shoes for badminton. Or you can try arch support, often with wedge under inside of heel and big toe joint. Both are not true orthotics and are more like band-aid.
    Orthotics, if correctly prescribed and made, will allow your feet to be more energy-efficient, i.e. you can walk the whole day without tired feet. They also save on wear and tear of the shoes. I used to wear off my badminton shoes every 6 months before orthotics. My year-old badminton shoes, bought a month after I had orthotics fitted, are now almost as good as new.
    Despite its initial high costs, using orthotics will pay in the long run (except for growing children).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a really interesting subject for me as I studied this area for my degree dissertation. I am not flat-footed but developed patellar tendonitis because I collpase the arch of my arch my foot when lunging. Foot orthosis have been a real help to me. In effect, by building up the arch support in your shoe, you are creating anti-pronation badminton shoes.

However recent research has suggested that if you are flat-footed, you should not try to correct this by the use of orthotics in your shoes. The assumption has always been that pronation causes internal rotation of the tibia, which in turn stresses the knee and hip joints. Research has been conducted that now supports the theory that the foot merely follows the actions of the tibia. Controlling pronation may therefore increase the resistance against tibial rotation and cause more stress of the tibia and knee.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie
    This is a really interesting subject for me as I studied this area for my degree dissertation. I am not flat-footed but developed patellar tendonitis because I collpase the arch of my arch my foot when lunging. Foot orthosis have been a real help to me. In effect, by building up the arch support in your shoe, you are creating anti-pronation badminton shoes.

However recent research has suggested that if you are flat-footed, you should not try to correct this by the use of orthotics in your shoes. The assumption has always been that pronation causes internal rotation of the tibia, which in turn stresses the knee and hip joints. Research has been conducted that now supports the theory that the foot merely follows the actions of the tibia. Controlling pronation may therefore increase the resistance against tibial rotation and cause more stress of the tibia and knee.
    Not true for me, as I was suffering from severe knee pain for years until I corrected my flat feet with orthotics last year. I used to wear heavy duty knee brace when playing badminton and always developed callus on my soles; and all my shoes had a pronounced wear on one side of the heel and I just couldn't walked for any extended period of time. I had to buy a new pair of badminton shoes every six months because my right shoe would always have accelerated wear on the insole. Since fitting orthotics I am no longer using any knee brace; I can now walk for hours without inflamed soles or callus and without feeling tired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My 4-yr-old son is flat-footed

I *love* this thread!! u all are nswering a lot of questions for ppl out here who know nothing of badminton but are curious about flat-footedness.

Here's my question. I know my son is flat-footed. He's been seen by an orthopedist, and the findings were actually that not only are his arches flexible but that they - combined with his all-over flexibility - are indication of a gift... that "this kind of flexibility is what separates the really good athletes from the rest." But a year or so later, knowing that he has what i've always considered a cute little run, my mother pointed out that it's because of his flat feet. That had never occurred to me before! I don't care if he becomes an athlete or not. I only care that if he *wants* to be an athlete, that he can be. So with the doctor's ok, i don't do anything special for his feet. I just buy him expensive shoes from stride rite, basically the only place that sells wide sizes for kids, and try to find ones w/ good arches.

Since u all are him years from now, do u suggest doing anything at this young age or just letting his little body develop naturally like i've been doing?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StrideRiteMom
    I *love* this thread!! u all are nswering a lot of questions for ppl out here who know nothing of badminton but are curious about flat-footedness.

Here's my question. I know my son is flat-footed. He's been seen by an orthopedist, and the findings were actually that not only are his arches flexible but that they - combined with his all-over flexibility - are indication of a gift... that "this kind of flexibility is what separates the really good athletes from the rest." But a year or so later, knowing that he has what i've always considered a cute little run, my mother pointed out that it's because of his flat feet. That had never occurred to me before! I don't care if he becomes an athlete or not. I only care that if he *wants* to be an athlete, that he can be. So with the doctor's ok, i don't do anything special for his feet. I just buy him expensive shoes from stride rite, basically the only place that sells wide sizes for kids, and try to find ones w/ good arches.

Since u all are him years from now, do u suggest doing anything at this young age or just letting his little body develop naturally like i've been doing?
    Why don't you ask your orthopedic surgeon if your son's feet overpronate more than the usual tolerances for flat feet, and if so, would he recommend any correction using foot orthoses for your son?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh yeah im semi flat footed i guess...when i was a kid i dint hav flat foot at all....but now seems that im developing flat foots..man im afraid isnt there any excercise...to improve this thing?whats foot orthosis?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Foot orthoses are custom-made insoles to correct biomechanical leg and foot malalignment. To make a pair of foot orthoses you must first take a foot cast, which would usually involve casting by plaster of paris bandage, taking a foot impression and by computer laser scanning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have read the above posts (like crazy), but I still somewhat "guessed" that, since we are all wearing a badminton shoes (I suppose), would flat feet really matter that much? (I wouldn't say none, but I would "guess" (again) to difference is not huge)

Once we arel wearing shoes, the force should be distributed evenly and nicely, isn't it? Then, now, is there still a huge difference when you jump?

PS: I have heard that, flat feet people should not stand for a long time (say, 10 hours) because of risk of passing out. I don't know much about it, but that's just the "durability" issue......since we don't just stand there in badminton games, I guess that's not very important in here....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bluejeff
    I have read the above posts (like crazy), but I still somewhat "guessed" that, since we are all wearing a badminton shoes (I suppose), would flat feet really matter that much? (I wouldn't say none, but I would "guess" (again) to difference is not huge)

Once we arel wearing shoes, the force should be distributed evenly and nicely, isn't it? Then, now, is there still a huge difference when you jump?

PS: I have heard that, flat feet people should not stand for a long time (say, 10 hours) because of risk of passing out. I don't know much about it, but that's just the "durability" issue......since we don't just stand there in badminton games, I guess that's not very important in here....
    The ideal neutral position (biomechanically) for the foot is when the ankle is in neutral position and the plane of forefoot is parallel to that of the hindfoot. Flat foot usually means pronated foot which means it is not in an ideal biomechanical position. People with flat foot just get tired more easily than people whose feet are in an ideal biomechanical position. They also tend to get all sorts of foot problems like bunion, callus, metatarsalgia, leg tiredness, knee pain, heel pain and sometimes lower back pain.
    I will use a car's wheels and tires as an analogy. You may have your car fitted with new tires, properly balanced and inflated. If your car's front wheel alignment is out of alignment, analogous to foot malalignment, your new tires will not perform their best. In fact, your whole front suspension system will be adversely affected, resulting in heavy wear and tear and possible breakdown. Your new tires will also show uneven and pre-mature wear.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast