User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you flat-footed?

Voters
1173. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    531 45.27%
  • No.

    642 54.73%
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Results 86 to 102 of 309
  1. #86
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Sprain & Flat-foot???

    Guys,

    Are flat-footed people like me more prone to injuries like anke sprain? I hve been playing badminton for over a year now and as of today I have had 3 ankle sprain already. Does anyone here have any articles to contribute regarding this matter?

    Thanks!

  2. #87
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I was out injured recently for a couple weeks with a knee problem, which I'm told was caused by the fact that my fallen arches resulted in too much pressure on my knee. The recent increase in the amount of training I did must have just put that little bit extra strain on my knee I guess. I got prescription insoles and I should be fine now. I would advise anyone who thinks they may have flat feet to get it checked out. It can be solved very easily and it's not worth getting injured.

  3. #88
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Monterey Park
    Posts
    349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    i noticed that when i play badminton and on the ready stance, i really have to deliberately lift my heels to be "correct". i have to lift it so much it feel quite unnatural, but other tells me that is just normal clearance...
    well i'm flat footed as well but the best way is to try to stand on the balls of your feet. I know tat its not as easy but after doing a lot of jumping exercises, you'll notice it. The only way to overcome this is just always trying your best and keep going since theres no other way. As for the ready stance, just get into a position that feels comfortable since there is real right way for flatfooters from my view

  4. #89
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    MY
    Posts
    900
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    nope I disagree that flat foots are prone to ankle injuries yadidadida....
    However I do agree they have less shock absorbance and prone to more back injuries compared to normal people....
    I am extremely flat footed and big foot too... (size 12 and I am 177cm only...)
    I never experience any leg problem... but I have an extremely soar back from time to time.....

  5. #90
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i'm a very flat footed person but i do not think it affected my movements in anyway. i do think, your feet starts to feel great pain from standing more than an hour straight without resting your feet

  6. #91
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't think flat foot should matter because aren't you on your toes and heels all the times anyways during the games?

  7. #92
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    MY
    Posts
    900
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey
    I don't think flat foot should matter because aren't you on your toes and heels all the times anyways during the games?
    Nope it does matter..... because the arch is virtually touching the floor.... and your foot is naturally pronated (bend inwards) all the time... So I guess if your muscles are weak then you are prone to great injuries to your ankle and knee...

  8. #93
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    UK + China (Xi'an)
    Posts
    303
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Simp84
    Nope it does matter..... because the arch is virtually touching the floor.... and your foot is naturally pronated (bend inwards) all the time... So I guess if your muscles are weak then you are prone to great injuries to your ankle and knee...
    yeah i agree, i dont think flat-footed people are hindered in terms of movement but i believe it does take up more energy. Personally, (without sounding arrogant) i am a relatively good mover - so my coaches tell me and i am flat-footed. Its the same with table tennis, as i play for the county and my movement (which is very important) isnt affected at all.

    BUT. it is still true that some countries wont accept you at a professional level and the militaries generally do the same.

  9. #94
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wish the US military will not accept you because you are flat footed

  10. #95
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    UK + China (Xi'an)
    Posts
    303
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey
    Wish the US military will not accept you because you are flat footed
    You wish that? why?

  11. #96
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yup I'm flatfooted alright... But I've been trying to walk like a normal person (I'm not syaing that flatfooted people are abnormal but like walk like people without flat feet) and I'm kinda getting the hang of it lol...

  12. #97
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Louisiana, US
    Posts
    375
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Dr. Levy's book is great

    My wife and I have been using his book for 8 or 9 years now. As a flatfoot myself (not severe, I just have a lower than normal arch), I have never noticed any problem traceable to my arches. Dr. Levy's account of flat feet match my experience exactly.
    BTW, I'd recommend his book for almost any athlete. There's a lot that is relevant to badminton players, including the sections on sports injuries and the excercises that can help prevent them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar
    I got this from a book that was written by Dr. Allan M. Levy in 1993
    , he is team Physician for the New York Giants and formerly, the New
    Jersey Nets and New York Islanders.

    " Flat feet:
    Bones, muscles, and tendons under the foot create an arch in most people.
    Some people, however, are born with "fallen arches," or flat feet. Contrary
    to popular belief, flat feet are not a problem for athletes. In fact, flat feet
    usually are more flexible, have greater range of motion, and are better able
    to absorb the shock of running and jumping.

    It is the athletes with high arches who are more injury-prone. An unusually
    high-arched foot is more rigid and has less range of motion during quick,
    agile movements. Also, a foot that's precariously balanced on the heel and
    ball has poor shock-absorbing ability.

    Many children start off with flat feet, but the vast majority develop normal
    arches as they grow. Until recently, flat-footed children were frequently
    treated with orthotics and perhaps surgery to create a higher arch. But
    few studies have shown that wearing a particular shoe or arch support
    can make a significant difference in the development of an arch. Most
    doctors now feel that flat-footed people should not limit their activities
    and do not need special treatment. Seek medical care only if your feet
    hurt."

  13. #98
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    bay area
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    how many of us are flat footed badminton players?

    flat-footed-ness is usually associated with non-athleticism. i was told that Chinese athletic schools will reject students who are flatfooted. i wonder how that actually affect a game.
    Heres a test.....get a brown paper bag, the kind you find at a grocery store. Wet your foot...dont soak it, just make sure its moist. Then step on the paper bag. You can see from the impression if ure flat footed or not. If youre normal, there'll be a curve in the middle.....if youre flat, there'll be a round print like a shoe print.

  14. #99
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I was born flat-footed. This was never a problem in the many sports I played when I was young. From young, I was at various times the school champion sprinter, 100 x4 relay runner, long jumper, hop-step-jump competitor, high jumper, school player in soccer, cricket, field hockey, and rugby union-but not badminton as I deemed it too sissy at that time. I even played division 2 soccer in Melbourne. Despite my flat foot I was told I had flexible feet. But that was ages ago. After almost 5 decades my cartilage in my knees doesn't lubricate anymore. In fact in one knee it is almost gone.

  15. #100
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,873
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I happen to have a flat foot too, I don't get back aches from playing badminton though. But do get it when running long distance, even though I'm running on the ball of my foot. Should I wear a heel cup and ball of feet cups?

  16. #101
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    1,541
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    hop-step-jump competitor
    can also be called triple jump...
    well at least you must have a good physique, even if your knees are not as new

  17. #102
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    54
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Im flat-footed but i havnt found a giant problem with moving etc, although it does mean that they can hurt a bit after a lot of prolonged play, although, wearing especially thick socks helps that a lot. Plus ive gotten used to it. I wish i could use it as an excuse though....

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Flat footed players
    By Emmanuel-Phua in forum Clothing & Footwear
    Replies: 6
    : 05-18-2009, 02:45 AM
  2. Calling Wide & Flat-footed players - please help
    By Squelchie in forum Clothing & Footwear
    Replies: 12
    : 10-02-2008, 11:43 PM
  3. Being Wrong Footed!!
    By Timbuctoo in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 3
    : 07-08-2008, 01:37 AM
  4. Flat Footed
    By t3tsubo in forum General Forum
    Replies: 7
    : 03-15-2007, 10:00 PM
  5. two footed movement?
    By Valentino in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 4
    : 01-09-2002, 07:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •