User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you flat-footed?

Voters
1173. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

531 45.27%
  • No.

642 54.73%
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C_Koo
    Look into ordotics, I'm sure they can help you.
    What is ordotics?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by msl_turtle
    What is ordotics?
    Sorry, my bad, I forgot to check over what I wrote. It's orthodics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IM not flat footed but I now have shin splints on both legs. Left leg is constantly aching.

Im training 4 times a week, running on Saturdays plus normal roster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robc06
    IM not flat footed but I now have shin splints on both legs. Left leg is constantly aching.

Im training 4 times a week, running on Saturdays plus normal roster.
    Shin splints are almost invariably a symptom of biomechanical problems in the foot.

Regular high-impact activity will aggravate the condition, but is unlikely to be the original cause.

Like you, I had shin splints. I got some custom-made orthotic insoles and the problem has almost disappeared.

Although you do not have flat feet, you almost certainly have a biomechanical problem in your feet and legs. Once a joint is out of alignment, it cannot cope with normal loading and shin splints are a typical development.

Knee pain is also often caused by incorrect joint alignment in the walking gait. For example, external rotation of the lower leg combines with internal rotation of the upper leg to cause stress on the knee. This is the condition of being splay-footed. The reverse can also happen (pigeon-footed).

All of these problems have their source in the feet and walking gait.
    Last edited by Gollum; 05-28-2006 at 08:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After training las night my legs were aching and hurting. This morning both ankles are stiff. I am going to get better inner soles for my baddie shoes and see what happens.

Take antinflammatories as well. Exercises and Ice.

I cant rest for the next two months, playing in three tournaments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm is it true if you wear slippers and sandals alot you can GET flatfeet because of the lack of cushioning? or is it heriditary and stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is true it can lead to flat feet if you wear shoes without a lot of arch support.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robc06
    That is true it can lead to flat feet if you wear shoes without a lot of arch support.
    Isn't it something you're born with?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jwcdis
    hmm is it true if you wear slippers and sandals alot you can GET flatfeet because of the lack of cushioning? or is it heriditary and stuff
    True (or completely) flat feet are hereditary and depend on the bone structure of the foot. This form of flat feet is relatively rare.

Partial flat feet can develop from other biomechanical problems, such as ineffective use of the small arch-supporting muscles. These are most easily corrected at an early age using orthotic insoles.

The best way to avoid children developing flat feet, however, is to get them running around barefoot in lots of natural outdoor environments, such as woods and beaches. Flat feet are almost non-existent in tribes of people who do not wear shoes (eg. the Masai, whom many experts consider to represent the peak of biomechanical perfection in human walking and running).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is there a way to cure Flat-foot without expensive orthodics

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Silentscorpion
    is there a way to cure Flat-foot without expensive orthodics
    No.

(Or at least, rarely.)

They are not that expensive. Mine were probably top quality (included a sophisticated orthotic assessment), but only cost 200 - 250.

Your feet are a good thing to invest in

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    No.

(Or at least, rarely.)

They are not that expensive. Mine were probably top quality (included a sophisticated orthotic assessment), but only cost 200 - 250.

Your feet are a good thing to invest in
    Dude thats expensive i am 15 and i just bought a NS 9000X and i think i will wait a while before i ask my parents anything big again...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Silentscorpion
    Dude thats expensive i am 15 and i just bought a NS 9000X and i think i will wait a while before i ask my parents anything big again...
    Well, fair enough.

But before you buy another expensive racket, perhaps think about your feet!

Also, note that parents are often willing to spend much more money on medical expenses than on presents

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default flat feet

Quote Originally Posted by Dandirom
    it affects everything - a flat-footed player is always a split-second or even a second late gettng from one place to another. and you just by listening to a player's footsteps during a game if he or she is flat-footed. their whole foot touches the floor with every step making it sound like their stomping around the court. it's curable though. you only need to practice walking around on tiptoes and doing footwork drills. one thing that really helps is doing that thing we usually see in movies where soldiers in training run through a field covered with tires. it's guaranteed to fix flat-footedness.
    SO do you think it is actually possible to cure flat feet? - is this from personal experience. - I always wanted good strong arches instead of having the "flattest feet I have ever seen" to quote the physio we had when I was 16!!! - tried various insoles & exercizes but in the end she told me just to go out and play and not think about it.
    Kind of agree with your first point unfortunately. Not so sure tha you could "cure" my flat feet but I would like to be proved wrong -Jamie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default flat feet

Quote Originally Posted by Baddict_2006
    fortunately,i have a normal foot..i guess for those flat footed people who love the sport will have the chance to enjoy the game more.(by not thinking the false news that they couldnt be athletic coz theyre flat footed.)they still have the right to play whavever sports they like and love.period.
    Thank you for your comments - you are lucky that you have normal arches. I have severe flat feet and always felt kind of embarassed about it - so am not that into posts about how you cant join the army if u have flat feet etc. Have had enough remarks about it - it was the joke in our team when I was at school and the physio said she had never seen such flat feet as mine! Guess it did make me slower and after 20 minutes the aching was always bad - but like you say I just have to enjoy it as far as possible. Cheers mate,
    Jamie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    True (or completely) flat feet are hereditary and depend on the bone structure of the foot. This form of flat feet is relatively rare.

Partial flat feet can develop from other biomechanical problems, such as ineffective use of the small arch-supporting muscles. These are most easily corrected at an early age using orthotic insoles.

The best way to avoid children developing flat feet, however, is to get them running around barefoot in lots of natural outdoor environments, such as woods and beaches. Flat feet are almost non-existent in tribes of people who do not wear shoes (eg. the Masai, whom many experts consider to represent the peak of biomechanical perfection in human walking and running).
    So do you think having flat feet is a disadvantage then, - in temrs of performance - I think we all accept it does not look too great and I say that as a someone with severe flat feet...JAmie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im flat footed.... never realised until now, it explains a few things.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast