Kudos to the Korean

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by AlanY, Aug 14, 2012.

1. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

2. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Wow! fair play. That will mean LYD will lose his mixed partner as well as JJS. Maybe he should just take up singles.

3. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Pity the 4 gals also if they get 2 year suspension, they were just following orders. Firing the coaches, that's the right thing to do to deter such incidents in future, esp after the head coach said what he did to the press.

4. Heong

Heong Regular Member

This is so so sad... I feel really bad for the athletes. Train their asses off, get disqualified from the Olympics and now a 2 year suspension from tournaments... It's way too over the top now. And the coaches have to find a new job. This is a very big blow for Korean badminton. I hope something can be done about this because clearly an organisation is abusing their power for the sake of publicity and corporate support... just not acceptable

They have NO right to do this

5. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

I'm sure the players were following order but if you let them got away Scott free you just encourage others to 'follow' order.

As i said let see how CHN and INA will respond

6. phili

phili Regular Member

Firing to coaches is the right decision but a 2 year suspension for the players is too much. I know they could have opposed their coaches order but still 1 year should be enough.

7. Heong

Heong Regular Member

Someone has to intervene with BWF and knock some sense into them

They might as well ban Korea, China and Indonesia from badminton forever as a whole then, they have the POWER to do it, and where will badminton go in the future?

They've already banned some countries like Sri Lanka, Egypt, Laos, Mongolia and Colombia simply because they didn't pay their bills!!!

Now I'm just thinking that BWF is nothing but a money-making organisation, they don't care about equality, rights, the athletes or the sport

#7 Heong, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  8. ah tat

ah tat Regular Member

student
    the coaches are not fined. they are fired!!
    isn't this too extreme???

#8 ah tat, Aug 14, 2012
  9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Too harsh on the players, how can they be made to bear the brunt of it? The organizers, LOCOG ,BWF and IOC care most about their own image and commercial considerations and choose the easy way out to punish the lesser culprits and making scapegoats of them. Little or no self-reflection is done to analyze what caused it, why and how to solve it, instead of simply going after the players who happened to be the visible ones,the seen ones while letting most of the unseen ones off.

Apparently they just want to save their own faces and skins, appease the paying public on the premise that 'the customer is always right' and so sacrifice the pawns who are unable to fight back - the work of authority (power) and big money by making sacrificial lambs of the players and sacking the coaches; two years suspension for the professional players could mean the end of their career and livelihood.

Who will stick their necks out for the players? Aren't disqualification and infamy punishment enough,now this? is it so serious that first-time offenders cannot be let off with a fine and/or warning? While the whole image and interests of the entire Olympic games are important, what about the rights of the athletes?

Yes,the punishment must meet the offence (it's not a crime) but two-year suspension is almost a miscarriage of justice, I feel. What's the precedent for similar cases? Perhaps a fairer penalty is fines for the players plus six-month suspension for first-time offenders.

What about the role and responsilibity of BWF? Their oversight and dereliction? How should BWF be held accountable? For implementing the group stage format without careful thought of what might go wrong and how to prevent or remedy it, what share of the blame should BWF assume?

#9 Justin L, Aug 14, 2012
  10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think they will extend the same treatment to all the other players and coaches to avoid scandal and controversy but in the first place I find their unduly harsh punishment itself somewhat scandalous.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Sorry,I got a bit carried away,it's an internal Korean affair, the punishment is meted out by the Badminton Korea Association (BKA), not BWF. And the players and coaches have the right to appeal,let's see how it goes.

(Partly my fault for not reading the article first before jumping in, embarrassing).

#11 Justin L, Aug 14, 2012
  12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Was just about to say :p:D ...

13. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

The punishments are dished out by the badminton korea association , nothing to do with IOC or BWF

14. Heong

Heong Regular Member

Now why would Korea sabotage their own badminton team?

Obviously there was pressure from a bigger organisation prompting them to take such action

So sad if threats are being used

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Hmm..., why is the BKA going to this extent? A publicity stunt, a PR move to save face and redeem themselves? Frankly, I see no need for INA and CHN to do likewise,just a public apology will do. After all the players were already punished with DQ and have to live with the taint for quite a long time, innocent or not,whether blameworthy wholly or partly, definitely most unfortunate.

16. phili

phili Regular Member

Now that's what I call an anchorless accusation. Ever thought that winning isn't everything? Maybe BKA felt embarrassed due to their players' and coaches' actions but that's just speculation

17. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

If the Korean just fired the coaches then it gives out a signal to the players that its ok as long as you just do as you told.
    If they just ban the players but do nothing to the coaches it might lead to a player's rebel, that will be even more embarrassing for them.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You mean external threats, BWF? Maybe not, because the same order should be executed to PBSI and CBA.

Could it be the higher ups in BKA or outside but within Korea felt exasperated with their Badminton Olympians' failure to perform to expectations and having only a measly bronze to show for that they need to vent their frustrations to serve as a warning to others? I tend to think the Koreans are a very proud nation and the medallists are handsomely rewarded, one of the highest in the world, and the coaches and associations gain quite a bit from it too. In that case,the whole scenario is understandable. (No offence to the Koreans intended at all).

19. Depan

Depan Regular Member

I think it is more like BKA is punished for not producing Gold medals in Lodon OG.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes,if punishment is justified, then both players and coaches should be subjected to it but in proportion to the roles they play ,in other words apportion the blame in a just and fair manner - to expect the players to defy the coaches' order is fairly unrealistic though admirable.