Any suggestions for cardio as can't use treadmills

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by David_Allan, Aug 14, 2012.

1. David_Allan

David_Allan Regular Member

Basically I cant use my local gyms treadmills due to them not having enough shock absorption so my knees ache after like 5 minutes. FYI don't have this problem at uni can easily go for 30 mins no probs.

I have been using the bikes and cross trainers but are there any other ways that I can do more cardio.

PS I'm easily playing 4 hours a week just now

Thanks

Dave

2. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Run up and down a few flight of stairs?
    Run on the beach/grass?
    Jump skip rope?

3. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

Go running outside! I have no access to a gym, I just use my neighbourhood park to do my physical training there or I go to a school with a track and run there too lol

4. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Insanity workout DVD program. Involves lot of jumping etc but you can modify the moves so it easier on the knees.

Its very good! 6 workouts a week for 2 months to make u fit!!

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i think if your knees can't handle crappy treadmills with bad shock absorption, then it would be best if you don't run outside. along the same line, i think badminton might be bad for your knees because all the knee bending retrieval footwork can't be good for them.

but if your knees are fine on the court, then do court drills, there are literally tons of agility court drills i found on youtube that you can do on your own on the court. what you need is not the marathon running type of cardio, but being able to last thru multiple points back to back i'm guessing.

i've been cycling for a while and i also run, but i find it not too helpful on the court compared to the agility drills...but take my suggestion with a grain of salt, each body is different.

6. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    Do you have insoles for your shoes? I use Dr. Scholls Gel Sports but I am going to switch to Spenco or Superfeet in the future. They reduce a lot of the pounding on the knees. I remember switching into another pair of court shoes I had with stock insoles and after my training session, I felt soreness in my knees. Both of the shoes were high-end court shoes, one with stock insoles, one with the Dr Sholls Gel insoles.

You may want to find exercises to strengthen your knees to reduce possible injury or pain.

Just a note, if you are going to do cardio, stick to running. Do not do court work to increase your cardio. The pounding, jumping, lunging will totally wreck your knees if you plan to use court drills to increase cardio.

7. patrick2197

patrick2197 Regular Member

blogger
    Just do anything which would tire you but rest after that. It is that simple. You just need to be creative with the things you are doing. You can babysit. That is very tiring. You can walk the dog. It doesn`t necessarily need to look like you are training. Find other ways. Be resourceful! :)

8. gundamzaku

working professional
    elliptical machines? those are a lot better on your knees without the shock. i would think those are even better than the stationary bikes?

if you're doing cardio you must remember that it has to be something that you can do continuously for a period of time and not something you do on and off. for example, if you're just walking in the park, it doesn't really help if you walk 2min, stop, then get up again and walk another 3min. it's more effective if you walk a continuous 5min and maintain a certain heart rate.

if you're playing 4hrs a week, i'm wondering if those 4 hours are all spent in one session, or 1hr each session, and you have 4 separate sessions. it would be cool if you can extend your playing time to over 1 hr if you are in fact playing 4 hrs divided into 4 different sessions. if you're playing 4hrs in one session, see if you can play two sessions on separate days given that you have the time of course :)

cardio in general is really boring if you're working on a machine. if you can do it outdoor, i.e. running or cycling, that's more fun. or just more playing on the court would be good for your heart too :)

9. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

+1 on elliptical.

stairmasters are another one.

pair any of those + a rowing machine and you basically have a full body workout + cardio.

10. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

running, biking, rope-skipping, crosstrainer, circle-training (with jumps and all kinds of stuff...), footwork on court, multishuttles on court, you name it...

shouldn't be that hard to find something suitable for you...

11. Fighter55

Fighter55 Regular Member

Writer

Hi I'm close to 55 weigh close to 90 Kg and am 5'7".
    I tried skipping about 10 weeks ago and had swollen knees and ankles.
    I decided not to give up as I used to skip about 10,000 times in well less than 2 hours when I was around 20. I used to run around 20 km in about one hour 25.

I increased strength of knees by doing the following
    tip toe exercise some from something called Barre in the West.
    Gyrating the knees, keeping feet together.
    Kicking my legs from the knee.
    Walking (climbing) up stairs 3 at a time.
    Relaxing in Vajrasana a yoga posture
    Giving my knees a rub down after exercises and the same for the ankle when I was through.
    Oil self massage at the end of the day, I think the oil lubricates the plates and joints!!
    Net result: I can do 75 skips @ 133/min
    I do a total of about 1300 (on a mat) over two sessions Knees and ankles are smiling.

Running is quite an impactful exercise as one leg is taking the impact at a time.
    Court practice can give your knee bad jerks.
    I simulate picking a low shuttle in front with a high clear, do it 50 times. I do it 20 times and am pooped. But you'r still young that is your strength.
    About shoes when you are skipping or whatever the sponge should have 'give' while training. Your playing shoes will obviously be different.
    Best

12. gundamzaku

working professional
    if your gym has a pool, go run in the pool, helps build strength without stressing your knees. and while you're at it, go swimming.