Shadow Footwork vs Playing games

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Footwork_816, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

Hey I have question regarding what you believe would improve your game faster:

Playing badminton 3 times a week at a club where the skill level is around yours

or

Doing shadow footwork for 2 of those days instead and playing badminton on the 3rd day just so you don't lose "feel" of the bird while its in the air

I'm starting to believe its pointless playing at my club much longer because the highest skill level is around mine and I want to be a singles player...not doubles which is all you can play there.

I heard kids in China practice swinging the racket for 2 months before they even start using a a bird and I've seen a lot of drills where a racket isn't even used. So I wanna know if I will benefit more if I make most of my training without a bird, but not all of it

2. Pizza Fish

Pizza Fish Regular Member

shadow footwork would help you more than playing games with others. it might be helpful to find someone willing to train with you at your club so you could improve together and get better at both the various shots and your footwork.

3. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

Do both! I usually do circuit training after my badminton sessions and straight after that I usually do shadowing as fast as I can for 5 mins. Over this summer its what I've been doing and Its helped me greatly. For me, I thought it wasn't really helping me but when I started playing games and etc, I've noticed I've gained a lot of speed and can get birds that i normally wouldn't be able to get.

As suggested above, instead of playing games, get someone to drill you. In and out drop shots, smashes etc. Just focus and develop your technical skills or whatever you want to improve. I do suggest doing shadowing whenever you go and play as it will help you since footwork is KEY to playing better badminton!

4. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

Ah ok in that case I'm going to do more drills and less play :D
    I don't mind drills, I actually think they are fun. Its just that its weird to think playing without a bird can make you better than playing with a bird...

Yea I'm going to do both, just most of it will be drills. Thanks!

5. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

Np and yeah I use to think like "Why should I do shadowing, its not going to help me cause I am not actually playing" But the more I did it, the more it became integrated with my game and it started feeling "natural" and then basically some shots that I wouldn't normally be able to get, I started getting. I guess that's when I figured that it has helped me a lot and I just didn't really notice it till I questioned myself about it and felt it on the court.

6. Dr.Dino

Dr.Dino Regular Member

If you are not satisfied with your club, I suggest you change and go to somewhere else. Of course shadow footwork is a great way to improve, I personally believe you still need to be playing. If you lose your feel, no matter how quick you are, you won't hit the shot you want. Also, I doubt anyone would waste an hour or more doing shadow footwork. You should try to do a mix of playing and doing shadow footwork on the same day.