Best tension for BG65ti?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by guibs, Aug 14, 2012.

1. guibs

guibs Regular Member

Just wanted to get your opinion. I'd prefer balance of smash and control for drop shots, thanks!

2. nooooooooooo

nooooooooooo Regular Member

the max allowable tension of your racket

3. dffhkhksg

dffhkhksg Regular Member

Depends on what you like and the shuttle you play with. Don't worry so much about what the string can take, rather what YOU can take.

4. michael23

michael23 Regular Member

Tension retention on BG65Ti is poor, so you might want to add a few pounds more tension once you've decided on how high you want to go.

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    BG65Ti is a nice string for the hard smasher. You can smash all day with this string and it won't break (well as long as you don't mishit!). It does have drawbacks in that it does loose tension over time and doesn't quite have the feel for "touchy feely" shots.

In terms of tension, it's really down to your own preference. For me, I find 27-28lb is the best with BG65Ti. Although we all know that there's less power with higher tensions, I personally don't think the difference is as much as people make out. My smashes are just as hard as they were with lower tensions, but I feel I gain a noticeable amount in control with higher tensions. So I always prefer to go with higher tensions with all strings.

6. dffhkhksg

dffhkhksg Regular Member

Higher tension = more power AVAILABLE, but harder to release even lower amounts of power
    Lower tension = less power available, but easier to release its full potential

7. APB Stringers

APB Stringers Regular Member

Professional Stringer
    I actually have a post about this on my website, just go to http://www.apbstringers.co.uk and follow the link to my blog, hopefully it should answer any questions you have about string tension!

8. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

Dear APB stringer, as a fellow forum member I would appreciate you post your opinions ON THIS FORUM instead of redirecting us to your website for self promotion purposes.

Heck, I could even find the "template" of your posts.

"I have ******* and ****** over on my website, http://www.******.co.uk just follow the link to my blog, *******:)"

You might want to have a look at here about the forum rules.

#8 zombie0517, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  9. APB Stringers

Professional Stringer
    Ok, sorry, didn't know about the "rules" and as for finding my blog I'm pretty sure it's the easiest thing to find!

10. APB Stringers

Professional Stringer
    Here is the text from my blog guys :)Now this is a question I get asked on a very frequent basis; "What tension should I have my racket strung at?" or another question I get asked is, "I have ........ string, what is the best tension for that string in this racket?" And I'm sorry to disappoint you, but there is no real answer to that question. As with almost every part of stringing and racket management it is completely subjective to the individual, however, there are a few rays of light that I may be able to shed on the situation.It all depends on what you want out of a set of strings, less tension = more power, whereas a higher tension = more control, this is due to the trampoline affect, but I may go on to talk about that in another post. If someone just came to me and they didn't know what string or tension they wanted then I would always string the racket with Bg65ti at 24lbs. This is a standard set up for many club level players who don't really care what string they have in their racket as long as it lasts a reasonable amount of time.24lbs is also the tension that I would recommend starting at if you are unsure of what tension to use in the first place. I would then increase or decrease by 1-2lbs depending on if it is too tight or too loose. Also changing string will affect what tension you will want your rackets strung at. For a thinner gauge of string I would recommend a slightly higher tension due to the extra power that the string is likely to generate by itself, that is why I used to have my rackets strung in Bg80 at 26lbs, but when I changed to Bg66U I upped my tension to 28lbs to compensate for the extra power that comes with Bg66U. However, a while ago I went through a stage of using Bg65ti, and I had to have that strung right down at 24lbs as I needed to be able to generate a bit more power as it is a less powerful string.So in my opinion try most strings at 24lbs first, then increase or decrease from there and the type of racket it is very rare affects what string to use, unless it is a Carlton Razor or something like that with an extremely weird stringing pattern.

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

65Ti is one of the worst at keeping tension. If you have to use it, I would err on the low side - a 10% loss from 22 to 20 will be less noticeable than a drop from 30 to 27.

I'd ditch it and go with regular 65 if I were you.

12. guibs

guibs Regular Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Appreciate all your replies.