Do Some Manufacturers Rackets Chip Easier Than Others?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by basingcraig, Aug 15, 2012.

1. basingcraig

basingcraig Regular Member

i have had a Yonex Voltric 7 for a year and a half that looks like i have been taking pot shots with a shotgun

i know the obvious answer is to use the strings and not the frame (im working on it)

just wanted to know if they were all alike or if some manufactures had a better reputation for the durability of the paintwork

2. zombiez

zombiez Regular Member

Full time Dad
    Some Player's Rackets Chip Easier Than Others. :D

#2 zombiez, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  3. nooooooooooo

nooooooooooo Regular Member

I think if you do a lot of frame hits, scrape racket on the floor, clashes, accidenty swing the racket on the floor, like me, then the paint will no doubt chip off, no matter what brand it is, since its just paint.

I've only been using my Voltric80 for 3 months and it looks like its 3 years old from all the battle scars.. no resell value now.. not that I'm ever gonna sell it

4. Redhawk

Redhawk Regular Member

I found that Yonex chips REALLY easy. Just to add some variety i've been playing with Gosen rackets, and their finish is excellent, I don't have and chips or dings in either of those rackets. (I'll probably get one today since I just said that).

5. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

I think it depends largely on batch and factory. My most used years old MIT 8200/8600LT are still chip free while my seldom used MIJ Cab35 had chips and loose cone within a few months, and I only play single. My speculation is that they skipped the cleaning process before airbrushing. Some with ugly finish too. Probably my last YY anyway since all my MIJ YY had loose cones while the lowly MIT YY are still fine. Not impressed.

6. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Depends how good your partner is ;)

Seriously though, its down to how well the paint is bonded to the racquet structure and how well it can flex.

Are some brands better than others, no idea.

7. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

the first generation Victor Braveswords automatically chip themselves... =_=

8. Deathblader

Deathblader Regular Member

Student/Lifeguard/Athlete
    The matte paint for the green yonex z force and the arc 10 premium is so hard to chip! i've dropped my Arc 10 so many times and even hit my partner's Voltric 80. The voltric chipped but my arc 10 got away without a scratch! <3

9. CanadianBadmint

CanadianBadmint Regular Member

Student
    Amen...my bravesword 10's paint just falls off by itself...

10. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    having seen a broken yonex armortec 900 frame and a victor superwave frame, i can tell you that the superwave has a thicker layer of carbon graphite but it's hollow, and the armortec 900 has a thinner layer of carbon graphite but the hollow middle part is filled with foam, so .......

11. Danze

Danze Regular Member

the voltric Z-Force has a non shiny finishing, it is harder to chip as it doesnt chip, it only scratches. i rarely pick up shuttles with the racket, and when i do, i make sure i dont scrape it on the floor. i disagree when people say yonex rackets chip, if its a high end racket it will be hard to chip the paint, you must have clashed really hard to chip it. fake rackets chip so easily and they chip a lot.

12. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

LOL highend rackets are being made the same way as the lower end models, and certainly not better QC as far as Yonex is concerned. Like any products, if the surface wasn't completely clean when airbrushing, the paint will chip.

13. gundamzaku

working professional
    I agree, yonex paint quality is pretty consistent across the same series, armortec paint quality is good, so all my high end and low end armortecs have decent paint jobs!

14. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Not to pick up shuttles with the rackets head is really tiring *lol*
    But there really seem to be a smaller group of humans on earth who are picking shuttles with their own hands / fingers up to two dozens per game *LOL*

I can't understand this, but I think I don't have to. Using a big and thick cover for a very thin smartphone is really questionable since the smartphone is a device to use. But picking up shuttles with hands to avoid any very very minor damage to the racket must be... true love for their rackets haha ^^ :eek:

15. maxout

maxout Regular Member

IF I WERE THE MANUFACTURER, I will make sure the paint chips starts to "kick-in" heavily after 6 months or else, how to generate new sales ? :rolleyes: IF I WERE them, I will also introduce "paint-touch-up kits" for specific racquets - more business ...

Remember, the joke about how smartphones, personal computers and air-conditioners in Malaysia start to "die" immediately after the warranty period ends "coincidentally" - same concept may have applied here ....:D

Message: As with all products made today, FLASHIER, TRENDIER and MORE HI-TECH but ... WORSENING DURABILITY ... "disposable" culture ....

#15 maxout, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  16. gundamzaku

working professional
    i know two people personally who haven't learn to pick up shuttles with their rackets, so that's a legit reason, but if you think that you can chip your racket by picking up shuttles with it, then you need to relearn how to pick them up with your racket!!! LOL

i agree with you, using hands for pick ups just hurts the back, and between my back and my rackets, i pick my back!!!

17. gundamzaku

working professional
    that is very interesting, and i agree, it happens with cars as well...except BMWs, their electronic system is crap, i had a fail cd player after two weeks of owning it.

disposble culture, interesting concept as well!!!

18. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

That really depends on the floor. If those are green mats, the rackets could be lightly scratched but not chipped if carefully. But for any hard floors, chipping is quite common, based on my experience anyway.

19. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

what a thread!

paint chips ion badminton rackets. lol

seriously: do you guys really care about the paint on your rackets? crazy world...

20. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

The same can be said on other man made products too. Also, if the shop was trying to sell you an authentic VT80 which was showing it naked carbon finish without paint/motif, would you consider buying it at all?