best coaches?

Discussion in 'Lee's Badminton Training Centre' started by lee_j, Aug 15, 2012.

1. lee_j

lee_j New Member

What are the best coaches at lee's markham, well of course other than the head coach? :), i am going to start taking private lessons until october because group lessons start in october lol.
    and for private lessons i want to see whos the best coach other than jennifer lee!
    thank you :eek:

2. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

good post. I wanna know too as I'm also considering the same thing.

3. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

going to look for instruction from another club. Asked about their private instruction and you need to commit to 5 initially. No frigging way am I committing to 5 sight unseen. I've been with my current coach in golf for over 3 years and the most important thing I found in THAT sport in terms of taking instruction is how you get on with your instructor along with the method they deliver the message. After my initial lesson at another place in Markham (which wasn't the greatest of experience), I found Lee's policy to be quite strange.

Oh well, back to looking.

4. lee_j

lee_j New Member

where else did you take lessons in markham and what level are you? :O. in terms of quality i hear lee's one of the best in markham like other than su's i suppose. i signed up last night for private lessons and they said they would find a random coach that suits me the best? although they don't know what level i am at currently because ive never taken lessons before. after the 5 lessons im going to quit private and join group lessons because i get to play with others and gain more experience.

5. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

Inconsequential to this topic; but the lesson took place at Everyday badminton. I'm not sure if the guy was affiliated officially with their club tho.

Which is exactly why I sent them an inquiry in the first place.

Without an assessment, don't you find that a wee bit ridiculous and impossible? I don't know bout you, but the only way to find out is if you get ONE lesson with the guy to see if he fits you, or if you can observe how they teach. Remember the assessment is a two way street. They're assessing my skill level as much as us assessing their teaching methods.

The random coach was put off #1. Certification is different from experience. If everyone who's certified is a good instructor, then in a parallel analogy, everyone in GTA should know how to drive *rolleyes. The 5 lesson commitment was put off #2.

But good luck on your lessons. Please update us on how your experience is :)

#5 Borbor, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  6. lee_j

lee_j New Member

well are you planning to take group lessons in october then? i know their having an adult thing going on @ lee's this september i think. i will update you very soon! :D.

7. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

I wont' qualify for sept. thinking about the oct ones. I never did group in my other ones, so i am kinda hesitant.

8. lee_j

lee_j New Member

oct group lessons? thats what im taking! do u know what level your in?..

9. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

adult lol.

10. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

so who'd u end up taking lessons from?

Have you started the group lessons?

11. Shinyballoon

Shinyballoon Regular Member

World Champion, Lee Jae Bok is apparently teaching there now.

12. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

yup, and right away you can see he's bringing his stuff to the table for the elite juniors. Quite a different contrast between their practice sessions before he arrived (and the few months that I saw) vs the last two sessions.

btw, he is national champ; not world champ :p

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This is the nice thing about different coaches. They can offer different insights. What works for one student may not work so well for another. Also coaches have different teaching styles. I think it's difficult to really assess an instructor totally in one lesson. Sometimes it does click but other occasions it does take a few lessons to build up.

The other thing is a world champion may not necessarily be a good instructor. The two do not always go hand in hand.

14. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

I'll write a review in a couple of months. Had my first session tonight with the guy.

15. ezish

ezish Regular Member

please let me know. I am here for few months from Manitoba. I would like to get some lessons from the best of the best. I talked to Lee's club and they said Lee Jae Bok is full. He has no slot open. So, I am curious who is the next best?