Strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by wongsm98, Sep 13, 2003.

1. wongsm98

wongsm98 Regular Member

Hi badminton enthusiasts,
    I recently bought a iso 97VF titanium mesh and needed restringing. Anyone out there pl recommend to me what suitable yonex string to use. I m a stroke player and only smash once in a while.
    Thanks

2. ttktom

ttktom Regular Member

hi i would suggest Yonex Bg65-ti string strung at 22-24lbs for the control. it's quite durable or the the Yonex BG70 Pro this string is durable with good control and good enough for the power too.

I would suggest the Bg65-ti

3. Toaster

Toaster Regular Member

I would highly recomment yonex BG85.
    In my view, its an excellent string while providing excellent power and feedback, i would say its like control's players essential...
    dont really like BG65TI as it lack the feedback but rather good for smashing all day long.

besides the BG85, if you can get ur hands on some BG66 would be great also, they are also excellent....

4. Toaster

Toaster Regular Member

forgot to add, tension wise, around 22 LB is good for all around i reckon

5. wongsm98

wongsm98 Regular Member

Thanks all helpful soul,
    BG65, 66, 70, 85
    Its going to be hard to decide. I was told- use thinner strings. Thick strings hurt ur hands-less bounce. I suppose if BG85-20 lbs, BG65-23 lbs.
    Any suggestions.
    Thanks once again

6. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Well, I say use BG-65 sounds fair.
    It's the most standard string and the least expensive string.

7. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    hi,

i own a 97vf as well until i broke it while attempting to restring it myself. needless to say i learned my lesson. I've tried bg-65, 65ti, 70pro, and 68ti on the racket. I would recommend the 68ti the most. Although it lasted me only for 3 weeks, it was because of constant smashing. So if you smash only once in awhile you'll be ok. the strings provides pretty good amount of power and control. Thats what I'd recommend.

8. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    btw i only strung it at 20 pounds.

9. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Personally, I would like to suggest that you shouldn't just limit yourself to products from Yonex. There are lots of quality manufacturers out there who are worthy of your consideration. For strings, Gosen and Ashaway readily comes to mind. I've tried Gosen's BioRoots and Roots Aermet before, and have found them to be very capable strings. Both offer excellent power, and as far as I can tell, their durability is certainly holding up (no visible wear after 2.5 months of frequent use).

For Yonex strings, I would suggest BG-80 for power, BG-70Pro for durability. I'm concerned about the durability of BG-66 since it is very thin (0.66mm).

-Rick

10. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    point taken. i actually dont ever use yonex anymore because they cost too much to string. just when i had the yonex, it was always yonex strings. now its a gosen 5300 wpt with gosen bio roots. :D

11. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Bg70pro is known for its durability... not its performance. Keep that in mind. (Peronsonally, i consider it one of the worst aftermarket strings ever. On par with decent pre-strung factory strings.)

12. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

I have two 97VF, as back-ups to my MP99s. I think the thinner strings like BG85 aren't really suitable for the 97VF.

You're wrong about thicker strings hurting your arm, it's the other way around. Thinner strings, especially at higher tension, hurt your arm more, they are less springy.

The stringers at the shop where I got mine all recommended BG65 Ti for the racket and I have to say I like it a lot. I use BG85 on my MP99s, but I've tried the BG65 on them and it doesn't feel good at all, and I've tried very thin Ashaway strings on my 97VFs and that didn't feel very playable either.

There is a lot of personal preference, but for a light, flexible racket like the VF97, the BG65 Ti is the best choice. Remember, it's still 0.70 mm, which is not a thick string. It's just standard now. There are still lots of strings that are 0.8 or 0.75 mm thick.