4 knots = cross > main???

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by boji_lazaro, Sep 13, 2003.

1. boji_lazaro

boji_lazaro Regular Member

im confused with this 1 string/2 knots vs 2 strings/4 knots issue.
    is it possible to string cross with different tension than the main even if you just tie 2 knots i.e. use just 1 string? or is it a prerequisite to use 2 strings (have 4 knots) if you want the cross to have more tension than the main strings?
    sorry if this has been discussed before but i tried searching through the archives but haven't found the answer.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Yeah, it's been discussed many times before. But I don't mind to bring up my point of view again. ;)

1. Generally, 4,6 point support machine is easy for 2 knots (1 string) method. With enough supports, there's no need to be different in main vs cross in tension. If u apply way too much difference in cross vs main (say, 2lb more for cross), the racket will become a little bit narrower (I assume), but later on, it will be normal after hrs of playing. Since just 1 piece itself, later on, the main and cross will become more evenly distributed.

2. If using 2 point support machine (like I do), there are only supports for main, but no cross. Therefore, I tend to add 1-2 lb on cross, to pull it "even". Therefore, putting a little bit extra tension on cross than main is more for the purpose of "keeping the head frame in shape" rather than "purely add more tension".

3. boji_lazaro

boji_lazaro Regular Member

thanks a lot for the info.
    i assume, therefore, that to maintain a 2lb difference between the cross and main strings, it is preferrable to use 2 string, 4 knot method.
    keep on smashing!!!

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Even though, u put 2 more lb in cross, the purpose is not too give the extra 2 lb. The main reasons are:

1. 2 pt support only main direction, u need a little bit extra force on cross to balance the "supporting force" in main.

2. Once u wave the cross, the main strings are not straight anymore. Therefore, u add extra force when let the main also "waved".

Therefore, 22 (main) * 24 (cross) becomes like 23 overall to me.

5. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    ah.. LB, what did you mean here? not to make fun, but I did not understand what you wrote.

6. BobbyGeneric

BobbyGeneric Regular Member

IT professional
    I'm pretty sure what he meant was that you string the mains first at say 22lbs, then if you string the crosses at say 24lbs afterwards, you should have mains at 22 and crosses at 24, however as you weaved the crosses *after* the mains, the mains, instead of being completely straight like they were before you weaved the crosses, are now also "waving" up and down as the crosses now pass through the mains, so as this "waving" should stretch the mains moreso than when they were straight, the mains should be more streched and thus at a higher tension. Makes sense?

By the way, thanks for the explanation LB, I hadn't thought of that before!

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Yeah, BobbyGeneric wrote exactly what I meant, but being more clear. Thanks.

To me, the main was said to be 22lb, but actually should be a little bit more than that after further "streched" after the cross strings being strung.

Sorry, was very sleepy at the time, when I 1st wrote that statement.