How do I find the best Tension for me?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by slair76116, Aug 19, 2012.

1. slair76116

slair76116 Regular Member

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    Hi,

I have an Yonex AT700 Gen II, Currently strung with BG 66 (done years ago, I havent played in years, that's why it's still not broken)

I just bought these to figure out which string would suit me better,

BG 66UM
    NG 98
    Zymax 62

My problem is I don't know what my tension is, How do I go about to figure out what it is?

a.) Should I start at 23Lbs then move up 1 Lbs at a time?
    b.) How do I compensate for the different strings? will I have to repeat the above method for all three strings?
    c.) Is there an inexpensive machine I can use to measure the Tension on the strings?

2. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    A: yes that's the best way to know
    for example: I started from 21 and moving up to 23lbs, then 24lbs
    at 24 lbs, I feel that I cannot generate any power, that means 23lbs is a better tension for me than 24 lbs

B: usually the thinner the string, we compensate 1-2lbs LESS than thicker string
    2 of your strings (BG66UM and NBG98) are 0.66mm gauge string
    when you try zymax 62, it is advised to go down by 1-2lbs less than the 0.66mm string

C: I don't think there is such machine like that

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

If you haven't played with the racket in years then you'll have to do as follows:

- play with the racket as is to get a feel for it again. Do you like the tension?
    - take the racket to a good stringer and ask him what he figures the tension is by feel. Tell him if you want it a little tighter with the new string and he'll set it up.
    - BG66 and Z62 are both quite thin strings. But even with the Nanogy 98, I don't see any need to adjust your tension. You'll have a better feeling for the differences in the strings if they're at the same tension.

If you are experimenting to choose a string, keep the same tension with each.
    If you are experimenting to choose a tension, then keep the same string for each.

Have fun!:)

[edit: sorry avenger, I didn't see your post at first. our suggestions slightly different but equally valid (or equally B.S.!)]

#3 Fidget, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  4. APB Stringers

APB Stringers Regular Member

Professional Stringer
    I have a post about choosing the right tension for badminton strings as well as reviews of a few Yonex strings on my website http://www.apbstringers.co.uk/ just follow the link to the blog and they should be there.

Hope you find it helpful!

5. slair76116

slair76116 Regular Member

Senior Flight Dispatcher
    Wow, thanks guys you have all been so very helpful!!!

Awesome forum for the sport we Love!!!

6. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    starting at 23lbs is pretty good, but move up maybe 2-3lbs every time, so the difference is more noticeable and you'll be able to figure out better whether a particular tension would still allow you to execute all the shots you need in a game.

if you're basically just trying to figure out the tension, i would string the same string two to three times, but at different tensions. it's best to test one variable at a time and keep everything constant. afterward if you want to test out different strings, then keep them all at the same tension, then maybe you'll be able to feel the difference.

basically whatever you asked the stringer to string your racket in, that tension is fairly accurate. you can also go and look at the equipment, if they have an electronic tension gauge, that's better, assuming that it's calibrated correctly of course. :)

what i did when i wanted to test out difference in strings, was i used four cab8600ti(my fave), and string four different strings at the same tension. this way rackets are all the same, tension are all the same. the only variable would be a slight difference in weight of the racket, and the strings themselves. :0

7. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    C) Inexpensive machine to measure tension = iphone app ClearTune or rackettune. What the app does is measure the frequency of the string when you strum it. You would need to keep track of the frequency as it differs for every type of string, tension, and racket. But if you consistently use the same racket, string, tension, and stringer...it should be the same frequency (+/- Hz). Then you'd know the lbs each time you get it re-strung. There's a thread on it on the stringing tools forum.

8. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    oh shoot that is awesome, i'm looking into it.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you've had some time away from playing badminton, the comfortable tension will more than likely change the more you get used to playing again.

10. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

What are the experienced players wanting or looking for in stringer higher? More power or more control? I know it takes better technique to generate power at higher tensions but think I'm right in saying if you have the technique then higher tensions will deliver more power?
    It seems that people are stringing as high as they can without it having an too much of an adverse effect on power rather than stringing for optimum power

For me power is more important especially in doubles.