1st time stringing and SO CONFUSED!

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by m3vert, Aug 19, 2012.

1. m3vert

m3vert New Member

Hi folks
    1st time post on here so please be kind to me! Trying to string a racket for the 1st time with our new Pros Pro 700 machine. I have looked at the patterns that are on the sticky and even after looking for ages I am confused as to how to do it!

Does anyone have a step by step guide as to how to progress with say a standard Yonex pattern please? The more I look at the Yonex pictures the more I am confused as to how to go about it! Sorry if I appear thick but this is new to me :)
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Most of the lads in the club are using basic rackets like the carbonex 21 special, so nothing fancy is required.

2. kingzzz

kingzzz Regular Member

Plenty of videos on youtube. What exactly are you confused about?

3. m3vert

m3vert New Member

Hi Kinzzzz I have watched alot of the videos on Youtube and on here, but find most of them go too quickly and dont talk you through the correct order of doing the holes.
    However I watched a couple earlier on, then checked out the page where all the different rackets are described and order explained and I have just completed my 1st restring unassisted :)
    I am well chuffed as it is a reasonably tidy job as well!! It was a friends Carlton Aeroblade 2000 and he wanted 25 on Mains and 26 on Cross so thats what he got! Just tested it out myself and seems spot on:D I will be giving him the racket tonight when we are playing so I will report back what he thought of it.
    If I can work out how to post pics on here I will stick one on and you can advise if it looks ok?
    Thanks
    M3vert

4. m3vert

m3vert New Member

20120820-0003.jpg
    Ok my 1st ever attempt at a restring! Carlton Aeroblade 2000. BG65 25M/26C. Any comments much appreciated as I dont know if it looks correct or not lol. Its nice and tight and hits well! The guy whos racket it is will test it tonight when we are playing, so fingers crossed :)

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The pattern looks alright. However, I usually suggest to give 10% more for cross tension, especially for high tension job. For your case, I will go with 25M / 27.5C instead.

6. m3vert

m3vert New Member

Thanks for that info LazyBuddy :) He commented that it was still a little on the soft side for him and the cross could have been a wee bit tighter in my opinion so your probably spot on :) Will do that next time.

7. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    Every stringer will tell you slightly different suggestions, but that's based on how well your machine mounts. For me personally, I did 10% more on the cross for many years, and then finally came to the conclusion that no extra pounds on the crosses yielded the perfect frame shape, increase in durability, and great playability. Do whatever works best with your machine, but 10% is a great reference point. Make sure you use load spreaders and don't overstretch the 12 and 6 o'clock as that's where the most frame snapping errors occur from improper mounting :)

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I suggest doing a few racquets at a lower tension before moving up to 26lbs. Just to build up the learnin curve. Be prepared for a few broken racquets in the learning process.

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I did my first racket (an Armortec 800 O - shows how long I've been at it) at 24 lb, and it took me about 90 mins; I'm at 30-35 min these days. Stringing is like driving - after a while, 80-90% of it ends up being done on autopilot.

You should get a roll of cheapo string and do your racket half a dozen times.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Ouch. I started on ProKennex 787

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

OK - you're winning the thread (but I've done one of those in my time:)).

12. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Have you calibrated the machine to check the correctness of the pull? Most of us here use electronic fish scales to check the Pulling power, yeah baby!

13. johnlowe88

johnlowe88 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    A couple of pointers.

1. Straighten the string just before you clamp off. Also go through and straighten them after you finish - it gives a more professional look.

2. If you are using adjustable fixed clamps, the clamps should only hold sufficiently at the required tension to prevent slippage - otherwise it may squash the string. Also different strings have different thicknesses and slippiness and will also require adjustment of clamp tension.

3. You should work out a routine where you start the first cross either over or under the main string - I am probably not explaining it very well, but it helps when you tie off the know if the last cross is under the main string. Some racquets are different so you might start the cross differently.

-John

P.S. I started with the Blacken B-8100 - unfortunately this shows my age.

#13 johnlowe88, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012