Regarding age restriction

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by sravan18, Aug 20, 2012.

1. sravan18

sravan18 New Member

student
    HI! Could any one tell me whether is there any age limit to enter or begin badminton. Because I am 25 and I want to begin badminton and I want to become a badminton player. So could anyone tell me is there any age limit to enter or begin badminton.

2. phili

phili Regular Member

No there is not however it might be harder to find a beginner group your age than it would be for a 14 year old. But this shouldn't be a big problem so enjoy your time with badminton.

3. sravan18

sravan18 New Member

student
    HI! phili, you know that I not only want to play badminton for fun but I want to become a great player and I want to put all my career in continuing badminton. And is there any age limit to enter into olympics as well?

4. Nict_26

Nict_26 Regular Member

just a job
    Hi sara, there are no limits to age entry into olympics, just look at peter gade n taufik both 30-ish. They have been awesome for the longest time.my personal opinion is jus enjoy ur game n worry nought for de pro player part. Get de basics in,improve on it, love the game, embrace it....Cheers..

5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

oh god, another one?

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    No limit but you would have to be realistic about what level you will reach. I'd say learn the game, play well, try out some competitions and see what your progression is. Then do a reassessment of what you can achieve.

7. MeowMeowCats

MeowMeowCats Regular Member

I do not think you can join the Olympics, there is a decrease in physical ability after a certain age.
    I do think you can win local tournaments eventually and get fit due to badminton. It takes a long time to get down the basics even, so I suggest you go around and practice with a coach.

8. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    Although there is no limit on age restriction, but to be honest...most athletes will be out of their prime once they hit mid 30s. Not a mental thing, but purely a physical thing. The human body starts to go into a decline: IE your body takes longer to recover, takes longer to build.

Starting your badminton career at 25...is a long shot if anything, not to be discouraging. But it does take many years of training to be competitive at the Olympic level.

Take some lessons, join some tournaments and see how you've progressed and re-assess you're progress.

9. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

Become a citizen of a country like Nepal or Angola where nobody else plays badminton and become the national champion.

10. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

11. Snowcrash

Snowcrash Regular Member

I think the rest had shared their views as follows:-
    1) No age limit to enjoy playing badminton.
    2) Not possible to be great at sports/badminton to olympics level if you begin at age 25.

12. tranqq

tranqq Regular Member

People are going to tell you that you can't do something if they can't do it themselves. Go for it and good luck :) and have fun!

13. sravan18

sravan18 New Member

student
    yes, you are right!

14. jrebagliatib

jrebagliatib New Member

I'd say it doesn't hurt to dream. Look at the 40-yr old gymnast in Rio 2016 ;) Train and have fun!

15. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Look at the 40 year old badminton player who ended up on top of the Mixed Group of Death and is in the QFs of the Olympics. (Robert Mateusiak)