Durability of MP100 vs MP77/99

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by michael_euro1, Sep 14, 2003.

1. michael_euro1

michael_euro1 Regular Member

Hello all, I'm new to BF and i think it's one of the best Badminton sites out...keep it up.

I am about to purchase a new racquet and after trying them out I have narrowed it down to either the Yonex Muscle Power 100 or 77, with the 99 also a possibility.

After hearing all the stories about the MP100 breaking easily (even though my friends has been clashed many times and come out the better racquet). I wanted to know wether the MP77 or MP99 were less fragile than the MP100 . My prefered string/tension is BG65 @ 22lbs.

Thankyou for all replies :)

2. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    I'm sorry, but this is an absurd post. Any racquet will break if you put enough stress on it at its weaker points.
    I bought a 2u MP77 which snapped at the head during the first game in which it was used. Yet, I've had an MP100 for some months which has been knocked quite a few times against the floor and has been in some minor clashes and it's holding up fine. I don't doubt that if there were a test carried out on which racquet was able to sustain the most stress, the MP77 would prevail; but if you put your racquet in the sort of situation which would cause it to snap, any light-weight expensive racquet would. If durability is your chief concern, you should try one of the lower range racquets.

3. ronk

ronk Regular Member

22lbs is within the rated range for stringing the 2U MP's and probably 3U Mp's. I doubt you break the racket easily at this tension (unless you are a super hard hitter). The people who break rackets easily have the racket strung at very high tensions (26lbs and above) or are very hard hitters or both hard hitters with high tension rackets.

My MP 99, MP 77, and MP 55 were strung at about 24lbs or less and I have not even broken the strings yet much less the frame. Then again, I am not a super hard hitter. And when my shoulder hurts, I tend to half smash to save my shoulder. In a bad crash, even the most robust rackets break.

Ron

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If u really concern about the durability of the racket, and clashes happen quite often in ur club, u might consider going for lower end racket at this moment. The higher the tension, the more risk u need to take. If u repeatly clash on the same spot, or relatively hard clash on weak spot (i.e. the intersection spot), the chance of broken racket is higher.

If the chance of clash or bumping to floor is slim, and u are not a super hard hitter, personally, I think 22lb is still in the safe range.

Besides the durability, I think MP77 and MP100 are quite different performance vise. To me, MP100 is more head heavy and siff. I heard the MP77 old model (silver + purple?) is more head heavy, but the new model (silver + black?) is not. I strung 1 new MP77 for a friend, and took several swing with it. Seems it's more like a balanced racket to me, however, the thick overgrip might be a factor as well.

5. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    Well all this applies if you assume there are no internal manufacturing defects. If there are any, then the racquet may break even before we play too hard with it.

Assuming there aren't any internal defects, stringing at tensions higher than suggested puts MORE tension on the frame than normal; At this point, the racquet is more susceptible to damage.

Again, coming to clashes and falling on the floor, since we are talking about metal (and carbon graphites) and not glass, the force on impact may determine if the clash or fall is fatal.

6. ronk

ronk Regular Member

I just got home and I checked the recommended tensions for my MP 77 2U and MP 55 2U; the recommended range is 18 to 22lbs. If you string a 2U MP at 22 lbs, you should be okay and the racket will be under warrantee except for head crashes. I serious doubt you will easily break the racket at 22lbs unless you hit something or you are a super hard hitter.

Ron

7. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    For durability, MP9x is poorer than MP100. Fyi, I've broken 3 MP9x so far (2 MP90JP and 1MP90SP, all of them are 3U though).

8. gleny67

gleny67 Regular Member

Well, I've had my 2 MP100's now for all most a 8months with a fair amount of use. Both strung at 22/24 BG70. Both have been dinged a bit but all is fine. I do like to smash and can smash fairly hard *have snapped my share of racquets*. Am not sure how durable the other racquets are but I can vouch that that MP 100s are durable. Assuming you don't clash often, string too high, or hit off center.