How is this jump called in english and do you use this too?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Accordaz, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Hello guys

How is this jump called, which is shown in the following youtube-link?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-DAR1bixLg

When do you use it? Do you use it often? Why do you use it?

Our coach has told us that this jump is optimal for a smash and a following net attack.
    It's also easier to get shuttles in front of the net.
    This might be very logical. But on the other hand, I've never seen / noticed a international player which used this technique?
    Is maybe my next question the reason why professionals don't use it?
    -> Is this kind of jump not for (usual) smashing due the fact that it is (a lot) less powerful than the "normal" smash?

I'm interested to adapt to this technique, on the other hand: Should I really adapt to this?
    I think it's good for:
    - getting a high clear with this jump just to be faster in the mid court
    - smashing if you're tired

Some people here who might answer all my questions? :p

2. 96382

96382 Regular Member

this is an absolute basic footwork movement that everyone should learn.

every professional uses this pattern. However it might look different because the video only shows the basic execution. Professionals will use that more often in their backhand corner to play with a forehand overhead action. It is quite unusual to see that motion in the forehand side in advanced players games because it is more a defensive style of movement.

The agressive counterpart with basicly the same movement would contain a higher jump together with being faster behind the shuttle (e.g. a jumpsmash)- the movement in the video is defensively.

Why dont you see professionals use that in their forehand side? Because they have so much athletic potential that they can almost everytime do a quick jump with both feet at the same time or even perform a jumpsmash.

You should look at the video and learn the rythm as well.

#2 96382, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  3. phili

phili Regular Member

It is called scissor jump btw and professionals do use it but most of the time they do angled smashes or drops.

4. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Thanks. Do YOU use it, phili? Do you use it combining with a smash?

5. phili

phili Regular Member

I do but rarely when smashing. It seems to me that you can easily hit the shuttle wide when doing a scissor jump combined with a powerful smash. When doing drop shots this jump is good for recovery to get back to your base or to the net very quickly.

6. Stratlover

Stratlover Regular Member

The scissor jump is for when the opponent has pushed the shuttle over your head with a flatter lift or clear and you're slightly late. It is especially used around the head to smash and still be able to recover. Given time, most top men players will get behind the shuttle first and then either push off the right leg and step forward while hitting (to have the fastest recovery possible) or jump into their shot (to get more angle). However, you will see most top level women do the scissor jump in some way on almost every overhead shot in order to get more power behind their shots.

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Hi,

As others have said, this jump is called a scissor jump or scissor kick. It is used VERY often in the backhand rear corner when performing overhead and round the head strokes.

It is less common to use this jump, at a professional level, in the forehand corner as shown. So what are the reasons for this?

Firstly, this jump requires you to be fully behind the shuttle in the deep forehand corner.

A very flat lift to the deep forehand corner is normally met, at a professional level, with a jump out movement/ use a block jump not a scissor jump. I do not think that a scissor jump is in any way defensive, or less powerful. In fact i would say it is the opposite, and lends more power, better recovery back to the middle, and hence greater speed into the net.

At a professional level, where the speed of the game is fast and flat (even in singles), professionals will rarely be able to get into an "ideal" hitting position, behind the shuttle, because their opponents will not want to give them enough time to do that.

When professionals DO get time, they do use this footwork. Lee Chong Wei, Lin Dan, Fu Haifeng etc all use this footwork pattern sometimes. But I would say you are talking 1 in 10 are taken this way, than, e.g. 50/50.

When professionals get LOADS of time on the shuttle, they will normally NOT opt for this jump, but a variant of it, which is called a jump smash. The difference between this jump and a jump smash, is that a jump smash uses a two foot take off, not one foot. However, both jumps utilise body rotation, so that your body turns in the air and you land with your racket foot closer to the net.

In summary, for the forehand rear corner:
    You should learn it
    You should not expect to use it all the time
    You should be able to do step out, jump out and block jump movements - you will need these more often
    You should develop your jump smash, if you have LOADS of time

On the backhand side, you should be using this movement most of the time.

Good luck!

8. 96382

96382 Regular Member

The scissor jump shown in the video is done defensively. A priori this technique is neither offensive or defensive if you look at it from an abstract point of view. It can be both - defensively when you are late to get behind the shuttle and offensivly when you have enough time. The variants in the technique and the actual stroke you do define the type.

The main advantage is of course the floating rotational movement which enables you to recover from a backwards movement into your base position while hitting at the same time.

9. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Hey guys. Thanks for all your postings. I'm going to learn it. I already do it automatically on the smashes on the backhand side.
    I've also noticed that I was using this jump already in the past. Just without knowing the advantages of this jump.

Now I just should avoid using it on the forehand side. I was a bit confused yesterday, when I was smashing on the forehand side. I tried to "focus" on the usual jump smash. Some results of this focusing were terrible smashes in the net. Not even close over the net.
    Probably I focused and thought too much during the session.

#9 Accordaz, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  10. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    weird but at the same time great, when i execute that particular footwork correctly, my smashes connect a lot better with more pace :)

11. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Thanks MSeeley for the very clear explanation...
    Is there a difference between "jump out" and "block jump"?

12. 96382

96382 Regular Member

I am not familiar with the english terms, but it probably means:
    step-out: a lunging motion to the rear court, similair to front court but more body rotation involved

block-jump: jump with both legs at the same time (and end with both on ground)

jump-out: more general term, but there are occasions when you do (the scissor jump or) an one footed "block jump". it happens when you do quick lateral movements. I remember seeing Chen Long and Peter Gade doing that on prof. level.

13. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Please be aware, that this is just my preferred terminology. Some people may class those two jumps as the same. However, from my point of view, there is a subtle difference.

I would describe a block jump as the jump used at the end of a series of steps, where the purpose is to continue going backwards as you rise up at the back of the court to meet the shuttle. I would consider a "jump out" to involve a one step mainly vertical leap from base - trying to intercept a flat lift. The purpose here is to perform a more vertical jump to cut out a low flying shuttle - less emphasis on the moving backwards into the court. These are pretty rare. I would also consider the phrase "china-jump" as an appropriate alternative for the jump out.

From a technical point of view, there isn't really much difference - one foot used to jump, feet do not change position in the air. However, I feel there is a distinct difference in the application of each movement, and hence I use different names i.e. one is used at the end of a movement pattern, whilst the other is just used as a movement pattern in itself.

However, thats just my preference :)

14. LiningBOY97

LiningBOY97 Regular Member

Shuttler
    Looking at this video, that guy footwork is totally weird. If they were in my training, they will get reprimanded alot if they could not change

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This is basic footwork movement for forehand overhead shots, rotation and moving back to middle of the court.

You can see it a lot more in matches 20 to 30 years ago.

It can be done if your opponent plays a high shot to your forehand rear court so you get time to position and rotate.

You can play smash, drop or clear from it and the rotation of the body makes it very deceptive to the opponent. If you don't believe me, add in cross court smashes, cross court drops, cross court clears.

Once the new scoring system came into force, singles badminton became faster (as it favours the attacker). So clears to the forehand are faster, flatter. Thus the side step, jump outwards with no rotation forehand clear has become predominant.

The return to the middle of the court is a slight skip action. I have seen this in Danish training videos. Slightly different to over here as basic footwork would mean walking 2 largish steps and then jumping to the base position, both legs landing with the split step.

To repeat, it's a basic footwork movement. If you have strong basic movement and understand it, the rest of your game will have good foundations. So, on days when you play and not on form, it's understanding basic techniques like these, that helps you regain the feel of the movement on court.