Weight Factor? Heavy or Light?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by CanadianBadmint, Aug 25, 2012.

1. CanadianBadmint

CanadianBadmint Regular Member

Student
    Yes, I know that weight in terms of balance point (head heavy, head light etc.) is a huge factor in terms of play-ability in a racket but how much does total weight factor in comparison?

For example, does making a racket heavier give as much power as making a racket head-heavier? Same question vice-versa, what if you made a racket lighter? Would it give equal results if you made the racket head-lighter?

Also, how MUCH lighter or heavier do you have to make a racket before you can actually feel it? For example, would you really be able to tell a difference in speed and power if you made your racket 2-3 grams heavier or lighter?

2. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Noticing a change a weight would depend on the person. For example there was an article that said Lin Dan can feel a difference of 3g so I think it would be safe to assume that us mortals wouldn't notice until you start changing more then that.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Just comparing 3U vs 4U rackets of the same model, you can answer question 1. ;) If there was no difference, there would be no point in the classification.

Answering question 2, depends on the person, but I can tell from swinging the difference of about 0.5-1g of weight at the head/frame. :)

4. CanadianBadmint

Student
    True, I realized it does make a diff :p. But how much of a diff? Like for example, if there were 2 MX80's and one MX80 was 3 grams lighter than the other. Would the lighter MX80 be noticeably less powerful but faster?

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep, I have a 85g mx80 and I've swung a 88g one, and the difference was very obvious in drills and play.

6. CanadianBadmint

Student
    Darn, my MX JJS is probably 86g or 85g. Would've preferred 87g. Oh well.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Don't fret yet... it's probably better that you have a lighter one, because you can always make the head heavier with a few inches of athlete or hockety tape. If you had a heavier one and want to go lighter, then that'd be impossible.

8. CanadianBadmint

Student
    True. I doubt it would matter though. My JJS is a lot head heavier than my MX80 and I have less grip on my JJS as well. That might be why my MX80 is 2 grams heavier in the end.

9. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Its very difficult to quantify the difference from the technical point of view since the outcome of this differences is purely, IMHO, can only be fully appreciated through evidence based performance especially if the weight differences is very small. IMHO also, such outcome exist is due to the fact that each player physicality and playing style is only unique to that player and therefore, a racket that is given to him with differences in any specifications that comes with it will only deliver a performance pattern that's unique to him that other player will not able to appreciate.

However, its very interesting if there is a convincing technical and calculative way to gauge findings in regards with racket specification ( wt, BP, flexibility etc) differences vs performance and used such findings to suit it specifically to an individual performance in order to make an ideal racket for that individual...... Reverse engineering in racket development:rolleyes:?

SS

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Reverse engineering not needed... just customize rackets (or choose specs) according to analysis of a player's swing style as it is done for golfers. I'm sure there is a demand for this and players would pay for such analysis and service which would save them the time and $ from buying and testing so many different rackets.