Help with broken string!

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Bobtrudel, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Bobtrudel

Bobtrudel Regular Member

Hi all,I recently strung my apacs lethal 70 with NBG98 23 lbs. I played 5 hours and it broke. The problem is that the string seems to have broken inside the grommet or maybe outside the head which is weird. I never saw this kind of string break so maybe you what could be the problem. The string or the racket could be the cause.Please tell me what you think :)Thank you

2. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    Picture would be nice, broken grommet? Strings not stored properly?

3. Bobtrudel

Bobtrudel Regular Member

I made sure the grommets were ok and they were fine. I will get a pic soon .

4. Bobtrudel

Bobtrudel Regular Member

Here are two pics that I hope will help us identify the problem!
    20120901_092805.jpg 20120901_092836.jpg

5. Bobtrudel

Bobtrudel Regular Member

Actually I meant made it strung by someone. That's why it pisses me off.

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Firstly, never go to that stringer again - there's a knot OUTIDE the string bed and the loop from the last main to the knot is twice as long as it should be.

The lengths of the snapped bits of string makes me think it broke at the black grommet; there would be no need to use the awl on the red one because a) he didn't knot there and b) there's no cross there.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Look carefully at the string coming out of the red grommet. Does it look thinner? I can't tell for sure because it is out of focus. Or is it a knot? If it is a bit damaged at that area, quite possibly an awl was used there and damaged the main strings. A bit strange for both strings to be damaged though. I do agree that it looks like it broke at the black grommet though.

Regarding the loops around the strings outside the frame, not convinced this is a problem.

Can you take some more photos of the racquet showing 1) the whole of the lower part of the frame from a slight top down angle (so can see the knots) and 2) both side from a bottom angle up similar to your second picture but showing both sides. Some extra information might be helpful.

8. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Hmmm, both Holmes and Watson are on the case. Fascinating detective work is afoot.:)
    ______

MarkA
    , the knot at grommet 6 probably pulled through, don't you think, rather than been tied on the outside. It is indeed an interesting meandering path from 12 to 6.

What could have been the trauma at grommet 7-- the black one that is the suspected culprit? It's not a shared grommet, so there would have been no awl mangling. It may be something as mundane as a weak spot in the string from when it was unwound, stretched or clamped.

I see what Cheung means by a funny look to the string coming out of hole 8 (red). Do we knowfor certain that there was no cross there, or could have that snapped too?

9. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

It may have possibly broken at the tie off knot if it was done 2 piece as i think i can see a small knot at B8 (2nd red grommet from the bottom). But probably more photos will clear it all up...

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Very possibly, but what kind of stringer sees that happen and thinks "ah, well..."? (If they saw it happen, that is.)

11. Bobtrudel

Bobtrudel Regular Member

Thanks for all your answers!

I think the knot actually slipped outside the racket after it because the string was quite thin. Anyways i went back and got a 50% discount :cool:. I also made sure to have it done by another stringer.

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I bet that went down well...

13. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

have to say that this is the most terrible string job I have seen. going with a different stringer is a must.