Equipment question

Discussion in 'Thomas Laybourn Forum' started by Cheung, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Dear Thomas,

What model racquet do you use?

Which other racquet models have you used in the recent 2 years on a regular basis?

What strings do you use?

What is your preferred stringing tension?

What model shoes do you use?

Thanks,

2. Laybourn

Laybourn Regular Member

Hey Cheung

Here is the answers to your fine questions:

Me and Peter just got a new sponsor this year and it is Gosen.

Actually i play with my old rackets because Gosen haven´t got our new rackets from Japan yet.

The last years i played with Forza 600, a very light but fast racket.

The last years i played with Yonex BG80, but now i play With Gosen Pro 70. I must say it is the best string i have ever tried, it´s amazing.

I like my rackets really really hard, it is always diffcult to say the amount of Kg´s or pounds because every machine is different, but the machine Gosen uses my rackets get 16 Kg.

I have always played with Yonex shoes but now a play with Gosen, and i think it is a very good shoe. Maybe a little heavier than yonex, but i like it very much.

Hope the answers is ok.

Thomas

3. Carbonexer

Carbonexer Regular Member

16kg??? :eek: Isn't that equivalent to 35 pounds? Amazing... Gosen rackets are amazingly durable. :rolleyes:

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Thanks Thomas,

Do let us know what Gosen model racquet you use. A common question amongst forum members is the type of racquets pros use.:)

That's an amaingly high string tension.:eek:

Do you take a supply of strings to tournaments with you in case the stringers do not have these strings?

5. Laybourn

Laybourn Regular Member

Well actually i play with my Forza 600 because Gosen just got there new rackets from Japan. The model i will be playing with will be the Gosen Roots 5300 or Gosen Roots 2400.

I know it is very hard, but like i said the machine can be different from the one you know, so maybe it is not that hard as you think.

Yes i always take my strings with me because it is important to play with the right type of string you are used to.

Thomas

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    thomas

i did a search in the internet and couldn't find information on gosen pro 70 string, is it similar to yonex bg 70pro or closer to yonex bg 80? thicker or thinner to bg80?

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Thomas,

can we have more details on your model of shoes? Then perhaps some of us can try thsi model out as well:):D

Thanks

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    So far as i know these are the 2 models of the shoes that is from Gosen. Unless they provide a different model to laybourn to wear. I'm currently wearing the Sb330. I can say that they are much better and durable than yonex shoe. I do agree that they are slightly heavier..but its sturdy.

Laybourn : have you tried the Gosen Roots Titan 3500 WPP? If you have tried them on what do you think of that racket.

Attached Files:

9. ants

ants Regular Member

SB 350

Attached Files:

10. Laybourn

Laybourn Regular Member

Shoes:
    The shoe i play with is the one called SB330 and it´s their best model i think.

Rackets:
    The racket i play with now is the Roots 2400, but i´m thinking of changing to the Roots 5300 because the 5300 can take more kg´s than the 2400. It´s very important for me that the stringing tension is very hard and i can´t get them as hard as like with the 2400 model because it´s a little soft in the frame.

I haven´t tried the 3500 but as far as i can remember it is a slim model, and i like the rackets to be widebody models. The have better power and can take more kg´s.

Strings:
    The Gosen Pro 70 is a little thicker than Yonex BG80. Unfortunately Gosen haven´t got a international website but Gosen in Denmark is getting their website ready very soon. The website where you can buy gosen stuff in Denmark is called www.sportsbutik.com and this is their information Tel: +45 3538 1444
    Fax: +45 3538 1544 E-mail: mail@sportsbutik.com Please contact them for questions or orders. They are a new shop so all of their products isn´t on the website yet, but will be in the future.

Hope this answers your questions, otherwise just write again.

TL

11. Rohly

Rohly Regular Member

Why do you like it strung so hard?

12. Laybourn

Laybourn Regular Member

Well it is difficult to answer but i feel that the softer the racker are the more the ball bounces off the strings. Hope you understand but i think you have better control over the ball when it´s really hard. Another thing could be the power in your flat game and smashes, if you hit the ball exactly in the middle you will get more power than with a softer racket.

But then again it´s my personal opinion, everyone has their own opinion about their choise off racket, string and string tension. The most important thing is you must do what feels right for you, thats what counts.

TL

13. Morten

Morten Regular Member

Gosen350 shoe..

What..the gosen 350 shoe looks just like my forza 400 uno. It´s identical. Thats very strange, now who has copied who? :)

14. ants

ants Regular Member

Thanks Laybourn.. i do agree with you in term of stringing the racket hard. I understand what u mean. btw have you tried Gosen pro66 strings?

15. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Which Gosen stringing machine is it? Is it the GM 1400?

16. Laybourn

Laybourn Regular Member

Hi Pete and Ants

I actually don´t know what machine they use but next time i´m at the machine i will take a look and write back to you.

I haven´t tried the Gosen pro66 but maybe i will try them if you say they are good!!!

Thomas

17. ants

ants Regular Member

Great.. hope to hear your review soon. :)

18. Feng_MP-100

Feng_MP-100 Regular Member

Student
    Hi, Thomas

Why not get sponsorship from Yonex??? Most pro players in the world are using Yonex. Gade and Martin are also using Yonex equipments... BTW, do you know what strings do Gade and Martin use??? BG-65??? Have you used it? You don't like it or something???