User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 27
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Post Front Court Improvement and Racket Selection

    I just started playing badminton 2 years ago and my first racket was NS9900. I still using that racket right now because of the not-so-heavy head racket compares to other Yonex. Right now I'm thinking of buying new racket (currently have just one) which suits my style of playing. I usually play doubles and prefer more time in rear court (smashing) rather than in the front court (net play), because honestly I'm not a good player when it comes to net play. I need a racket which can help me improves (of course i train for net play every time i warm up as well) my playing in front court. I am thinking of Victor BS09 - BS12 or Yonex Nanoray 700RP & 700FX. Please advice me on this. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,290
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    You're already using one of the best rackets around (if not the best from Yonex) for front court play!

    My suggestion would be to select a better feel string like vs850 with rough texture for better touch and control.

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    You're already using one of the best rackets around (if not the best from Yonex) for front court play! My suggestion would be to select a better feel string like vs850 with rough texture for better touch and control.
    Thanks Visor. Will try to restring my current racket with VS850. Just for your info, i'm using BG66 Ultimax tension 23x25lbs

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Selangor
    Posts
    208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roystenemmor View Post
    Thanks Visor. Will try to restring my current racket with VS850. Just for your info, i'm using BG66 Ultimax tension 23x25lbs
    you're also using one of the best yonex's strings....
    a very fine string, good for repulsion, control and touch....
    but it's up to you, string choice also very personal like rackets.....

  5. #5
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,290
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnersfan View Post
    you're also using one of the best yonex's strings....a very fine string, good for repulsion, control and touch....but it's up to you, string choice also very personal like rackets.....
    Repulsion yes, but touch and control no, there are better strings out there.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Selangor
    Posts
    208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Repulsion yes, but touch and control no, there are better strings out there.
    like i said, string also very personal like rackets.....
    what we feel maybe different because of several factor like technique and strength.....

  7. #7
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,514
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    the most improvement will come from training, spend more time thinking about your training, changing your racket will only be very very marginal!

    but if you must buy a second racket/spare racket, why not the same? ns9900. that way if you do end up playing a game and one string breaks, your spare will feel the same and you won't have to adjust your swing to a new racket.
    Last edited by gundamzaku; 09-03-2012 at 01:48 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Selangor
    Posts
    208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gundamzaku View Post
    the most improvement will come from training, spend more time thinking about your training, changing your racket will only be very very marginal!

    but if you must buy a second racket/spare racket, why not the same? ns9900. that way if you do end up playing a game and one string breaks, your spare will feel the same and you won't have to adjust your swing to a new racket.
    i absolutely agree....
    imo, the racket is as good as the people who holds it....
    it's true there are difference between head light and head heavy, stiff and flexible shaft and etc. but in the end it's our technique and skill that will play important role in our game....
    to improve technique is only by training, not changing rackets or strings......
    a good racket doesnt make up a good technique....

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnersfan View Post
    you're also using one of the best yonex's strings.... a very fine string, good for repulsion, control and touch.... but it's up to you, string choice also very personal like rackets.....
    Thanks Gunnerfan, maybe. Do you think i should lowered the tension a bit with BG66 Ultimax or VS850?

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Repulsion yes, but touch and control no, there are better strings out there.
    I agree with both of you Gunnerfan and Visor. Maybe i need to spend more time with net play and work hard on my soft touch. Sometimes i prefer to do deceptive flick or lift rather than net play

  11. #11
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,290
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    IMHO, bg66um freshly strung is fine but loses its feel and playability very quickly after 2-3 weeks.

    Vs850 with one of the roughest textures around and excellent feel provides the best touch for delicate accurate play at front and midcourt. Which is what the OP wants. Repulsion and power is not too bad either. I would suggest you raise the tension by 1-2lbs for better control and feel.


    Do a search and you'll find out what's been said of these strings.

  12. #12
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gundamzaku View Post
    the most improvement will come from training, spend more time thinking about your training, changing your racket will only be very very marginal! but if you must buy a second racket/spare racket, why not the same? ns9900. that way if you do end up playing a game and one string breaks, your spare will feel the same and you won't have to adjust your swing to a new racket.
    Thanks gundamzaku. I'm thinking of that way too.

  13. #13
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    IMHO, bg66um freshly strung is fine but loses its feel and playability very quickly after 2-3 weeks. Vs850 with one of the roughest textures around and excellent feel provides the best touch for delicate accurate play at front and midcourt. Which is what the OP wants. Repulsion and power is not too bad either. I would suggest you raise the tension by 1-2lbs for better control and feel. Do a search and you'll find out what's been said of these strings.
    Visor, another thing is i'm reconsidering to restring my racket by raising it as you mentioned. I will try it tonight and see if it suits me. Thanks

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Selangor
    Posts
    208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roystenemmor View Post
    Thanks Gunnerfan, maybe. Do you think i should lowered the tension a bit with BG66 Ultimax or VS850?
    im not sure what string to suggest but i tried BG65, BG85, BG80 and BG66UM....
    i feel a fine string gives me more in control and repulsion....
    other way to gain more control is to increase string tension but beware not to increase excessively as it may backfire yourself.....
    high tension gives more control but less power and vice versa....

  15. #15
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,727
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The BS09 is an excellent "front" racket, and you might find it more powerful than the NS9900 because the BS09 is less stiff; I wouldn't recommend an NS9900 to a two-year player unless they'd been getting professional coaching.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Lemollin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Petaling Jaya
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    BG66UM - Good when freshly strung, but it really feel bad after 2-3weeks like Visor mentioned as above, which i also experienced before, it loses repulsion and hitting sound badly, i cut it after 3 weeks for this string and will never use this string anymore.

    VS850 - Also cant really maintain tension, strung it higher than your usual tension, however it is still playable after 3 weeks, better than bg66UM IMO

  17. #17
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,514
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemollin View Post
    BG66UM - Good when freshly strung, but it really feel bad after 2-3weeks like Visor mentioned as above, which i also experienced before, it loses repulsion and hitting sound badly, i cut it after 3 weeks for this string and will never use this string anymore.

    VS850 - Also cant really maintain tension, strung it higher than your usual tension, however it is still playable after 3 weeks, better than bg66UM IMO
    also another thing about the VS850 after a few weeks is that the string no longer feel grisp. it's actually sorta dull, which makes you not want to hit with it. but by the time third week rolls around, my string is so worn it's about to break so i just play till it snaps and restring it with a new set of vs850

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •