Tiny problem with Alpha Shuttle Express (tensioner slips on crank when tensioning)

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Caarl, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Caarl

Caarl Regular Member

Student
    Basically I wind the crank machine up with the string wrapped around it and when im winding it it stutters on the machine, and sometimes the crank falls back towards the racket thus untensioning it. Does anyone have any solutions to the problem, or know what the problem is? Thanks in advance BC :D

2. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    Just to clarify, do you mean one of the following:
    1) When you pull the lever/crank back before the set tension has tripped the "brake", the clamping mechanism rolls back (even if you hold the crank at a set angle).

or)

2) The set tension has tripped the "brake", the crank stays at the same angle without you holding it but the whole clamping mechanism slides back as if the braking does is not clamping hard enough.

If it is #1, there is a chance the set screw (also called grub bolt) that tightens the gear onto the square axle that holds the cranks has loosened.

If it is #2, unless the friction pads have significantly worn or is out of adjustment, there's a chance the friction disc is has loosened off to one side disengaging it from the part that is part of the axle. The side to side loosening can be pushed back in place and prevented from moving out but the same gear and grub bolt mentioned for #1.

This might be a bit difficult to understand. I can try to take some photos if these are the scenarios you are experiencing.

3. Caarl

Caarl Regular Member

Student
    I think it is the first option, sometimes it has a brake but then it does not loosen after i put the plastic part which pops out back into its place. When I tension it seems to 'slip' on the teeth at a certain point.

Any help is appreciated, thank you

4. Badderz_Alpha

Badderz_Alpha Regular Member

With stringing machines its usually a case of just working out which bolt to tighten or loosen when the machine doesnt seem to be working right... sounds like you need to tighten one up somewhere on the crank head...

5. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    Attached is a photo with the area I think might be causing your problem. The grub screw pointed to with the white pencil is what might be loose. The shaft that it tightens onto is a square cross-section similar to where the red arrow points to. Make sure you are tightening down on one of the flat sides if that screw is indeed loose.

Be careful of the lateral adjustment/movement (indicated by the yellow arrows) available for the gear. Too much movement one side or another relative to the shaft can loosen the friction disc or cause binding. stringer.jpg

6. Caarl

Caarl Regular Member

Student
    Thankyou kind sir I think ive fixed it... I did what you suggested and it worked a lot better but still caught on a certain point of the machine, I found that the wheel under the teeth when was locked into place had a small piece of metal sticking out on the other side causing friction and preventing the crank to move along the shaft, i need to sand that down later but at the moment oil seems to have lubricated it and the machine seems to be working fine... thank you very much for your help, it's much appreciated :)