carlton plastic shuttles

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by other, Sep 18, 2003.

1. other

other Regular Member

Student
    does anyone else play with these? the skirt is so weird compared to the yonex ones and also the head looks wrong....it feels like completely rubber without the kid skin or whatever its called.....worst thing is that our college has like 50 of these new and we're supposed to play with them for the rest of the year. is this becuase im used to yonex plastic ones, or is there really a difference?

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

carlton shuttles are one of the worest plastic shuttles i've ever used... and i've only used 3 different kinds so don't take that too seriously :p

I don't like carlton shuttles either... looking at it makes my head dizzy. Also, feel the skirt. The plastic is extremely soft and is much more vulnerable to net-collapsing than yonex mavis 300 series.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Can't agree more than this.

When I hit this shuttle, feel like hitting a light rubber band, and totally have no "feeling" in my shots. I wonder even though "out door red cork" ones might be better than this. ;)

4. mjwhitfield

mjwhitfield Regular Member

Postgrad University Student
    What are they? T800, T900 or T1000?

5. Faisal

Faisal Regular Member

Student
    I have never played with them but I have seen them in sport shops and they look soooo ugly that I just know that they are not meant for me...

6. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    My club did a nylon shuttle test between Carlton T900, Black Knight Control 2000, Victor, Mavis 350 and Mavis 300. After the first day we automatically threw out the Carlton shuttles because they have inconsistent flight paths, the skirts make the wobbly, the cork is mushy... very very poor shuttles indeed.

7. bigredlemon

I think it would be very helpful if you were to let us know what happened during your test for the other shuttles.

I've tried Wilson Matchpoint. They cost more than Yonex mavis 300s and aren't as good imho. Very similar to the mavis 300 though.

8. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

The carlton nylons are horrible. My friend had a few because he got them as a gift so we decided to hit around with them to see how good their performance was. Like mentioned above already, flight pattern was horrible plus it felt like hitting rubber (like a kid's badminton playset bird, maybe better).

However, we did find use for the unopened tubes. They made good presents:D

9. other

other Regular Member

Student
    lol.......that's why i brought my own yonex shuttles for todays after college practice:)

10. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

Carlton plastics

Most of the Carlton plastic shuttles are designed for beginners and are really made for endurance than for performance. If you've ever played with good feathers, you can't use the Carltons again.

But, I've used the T1000 which is nearly as good as the old Mavis 300, and lasts longer. They have similar cork bases and the skirts are light but durable. If you need a cheap back-up to feathers, they are alright. I've played good practice matches where a single shuttle lasts over an hour.

11. Pointfore.Ca

Equipment Reseller
    The tests we did involved repetitive testing of the shuttles with different one from different tubes and different partners. We did clearing, smashing, drops, etc... stuff that would be done in a game. We also did some flight consistency tests and such. There were a total of about 10 different players of higher skill levels who helped test them out.

The skirt on the Carlton is just too flexible which make the shuttles wobble. If you smash hard enough, it's like just hitting the cork without the skirt. :)

12. bigredlemon

How was the Black Knight, Victor, and mavis 350 in comparison?

13. Pointfore.Ca

Equipment Reseller
    Mavis 300 came out on top in terms of preference since it's what most people are used to. The 350 did well as well as is tries to simulate a feather shuttle a bit more. The BK Control is much more durable than the Yonex Mavis shuttles but the cork is kind of weak so gets mushy faster. The Victor shuttle is almost like the Carlton except the skirt doesn't collapse. It's a very light shuttle so it doesn't give you any kind of hitting satisfaction.