Yonex Arcsaber 10 BG-80 what tension is best?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by knightrun1, Sep 5, 2012.

1. knightrun1

knightrun1 Regular Member

So when I purchase my Arcsaber 10, I'mgoing to get BG-80 on it. But I dont know what tension will draw out most of its potential. I am an intermediate/competitive player and I like to use drop shots, net shots, and also smashes. I do not know how BG-80 performs, that is why I want to know what tension will improve my play to its maximum.

2. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Arcsaber 10 with BG80 at 32lbs ±2lb (done with electric constant pull, and pre-stretched at 10%, if possible) is a good reference point for the play style you're aiming for!

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

While I love bg80 at 30-32lbs as well, It's hard to give good advice without knowing knightrun1's previous string set-up.
    If it was bg65 at 25lbs, then maybe 32lbs is a bit high ;)

4. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    I can't help but think you would need to know more about their level of level and previous tensions etc before you recommend a high tension of 32lbs comparive to professional player standards. If this guy is used to factory - 23lbs strings theres a higher chance of injury a broken frame and worse play than an improvement with 32lbs. Large jumps in tension take time to adjust to and are greatly affected by technique. They use drops, nets and smashes..... shouldn't all players? Intermediate standard players dont need to use 32 lbs i suggest increasing the tension in increments till they find what they like the best. There's a strange attitude of higher is better with tensions with is rubbish i know international juniors stringing at 26 lbs and their technique and strength is much better than most competitive good clubs players. It's what suits and if your not used to using high tensions BUILD up the tension till it doesnt help, working down from the highest tensions seems counter intuitive.

5. Blitzzards

Sir, you certainly do not understand sarcasm, do you?

FYI, the OP question is too vague to start building a suggestion from and it is also getting very cliché for posters to answer every such enquiry post with "what tension do you usually play with?"

6. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I personally wouldn't recommend BG80 on an Arc 10. I have two Arc10s, one with BG80 at 27lb, the other with Ashaway ZM62 at 27lb. I much prefer the latter.

BG80 just doesn't seem to work well with the Arc10 imho. I've never been a fan of the Arc10, but if I had to choose a string for it, it would be the ZM62 or BG66UM.

7. knightrun1

What tension would you suggest for each of the strings? It would be appreciated if you could go into details about durability at that certain tension.

8. Blitzzards

BG80: 32lbs ±2lbs

BG66UM: 30 - 32lbs

ZM62: 30lbs ±2lbs

All preferably done with electric constant pull, and pre-stretched at 10%, if possible. Maybe except for ZM62 due to the thinness.

The durability of each string depends on your technique. If you can hit the shuttle and keep the impact zone on in and around centre of the string bed then the relative durability rating is similar to what is printed on the string packaging. Other factors affecting durability comprise weather conditions, humidity, cold/warmth and shuttles you use and they all play a part in determining the estimated longevity of the string.

There is certainly no scientific quantity of concluding for example BG80 at a certain tension will last 3 months in dry Calgarian weather for an intermediate player. All that is relative.

PS FlamingJam, now what did I just tell you? ;)

9. knightrun1

Is there a particular reason why BG-66UM is suggested at 30-32 lbs?

10. Blitzzards

Playability, stiffness, repulsion, impact feel. The higher the tension you string at, the more lively the string bed, especially with thin strings such as BG66UM.

Too low a tension (22lbs-ish) and BG66UM feels soft and uninspiring, especially if your stringer (person/machine) is a crank type with lockout.

11. knightrun1

Hmm...Some people are saying BG80 doesn't go well Arcsaber 10. Does that depend on the player? I can't change my strings that often so I think i will choose BG-80 at 25 lbs. PS- I do use default factory racket, but getting used to new tension does not bother me. Just means I have to play more with it and get used to it.

12. Blitzzards

Yes, sir. String choice depends on the individual. For example Peter Gade used Arcsaber 10 with BG80 while Taufik Hidayat uses the same Arcsaber 10 with BG66 and BG66UM, both at the same tension range (32-34lbs).

BG80 at 25lbs is ok, as long as it fits you comfortably meaning that it doesn't give you a hard time hitting with it.

13. knightrun1

Just out of curiosity, is there a possibility that 25lbs will snap Arcsaber 10 racket?

14. Blitzzards

15. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Well, as said, tension is a very personal choice. No one can tell you what tension you will find the best. That’s all down to you. Also, your original post isn't really much help, given that you said you like drop shots, net shots and smashes... that’s pretty much all the shots people of all styles enjoy... I mean, I don't think I've ever come across a player who has a particular liking to the serve or clear...

I've been playing for 23 years and have been a stringer for 8 years. I would never suggest a tension anywhere near 30lb for an intermediate level player to start trying - unless of course he/she requests it. But again, that is your preference.

If you asked me for a rough starting point where most intermediate players tend to request, I would say between 25lb and 27lb.

BG80 at 25lb would be within the range the average int. player prefers.

16. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I was really surprised how useable 30 lb is (even with my plastic shuttles) so I tend to go against the grain and recommend the tightest tension you can tolerate.

For the record, I myself have done many Arcsabers past 30 lb, and they were absolutely solid.

17. knightrun1

i am currently using yonex carbonex 8000 light, and it is factory strung. However, i do not know what factory tension it is supposed to be. Some people say 18-20 while some say even up to 23. I live in canada btw

18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

IME Yonex factory string is rarely higher than 20, even on top-end models.