User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 22
  1. #1
    Regular Member ant01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    226
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Should I start off with an manual or electronic stringing machine?

    I've been wanting to get a stringing machine for a while now, but the dilemma that I'm having is whether I should start off with an electronic or manual one.

    My preference would be for an electronic machine mainly because of the accuracy of the pulls, but also my electronic strung ones seem to feel better too. The racquets that I get hand strung from a shop always seem at least a few lbs lower than the electronic strung ones which I did abroad at the same tension (around 25/26lbs). I guess that I could get around the difference in tension by stringing to a higher tension by hand, but I'm not sure if it would feel the same.

    What do you guys think?

    Edit: ugh just realised grammar mistake in the title...can't change it but nevermind
    Last edited by ant01; 09-06-2012 at 04:09 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,293
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The decision is yours at the end of the day as it's your money.

    Electronic is always better, if money is no object or if you anticipate a lot of business get an electronic. But I think you'd probably learn more using a manual machine first. I've been using my crank 6-point machine for about 7 years and it's been great, my local sports shops also use manual machines too and are quite happy.

    With a manual machine, you get a sense and feel of tension more and if things go wrong with the machine, it's not so bad to fix yourself.

    When I say manual, I'm basically referring to crank machines. I wouldn't really consider drop weight unless I was on a really tight budget.

    Hope that helps!

  3. #3
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,375
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you can honestly afford an electronic machine, I say get one - I spent three years on a manual before getting mine, and I've never looked back. More consistent tensions, constant pull, no regular calibration needed...

  4. #4
    Regular Member ant01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    226
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Contradictory opinions, I like it

    I wanted to get a stringing machine primarily for my own interests, re-stringing racquets for other people would be a side thing that I'd do at a later time. I have been thinking that as long as the price isn't too high then I will get an electronic one but choosing the right machine is a tough choice too, and I do like to pre-stretch some of my strings.

    They sell this electronic one at my local shop which doesn't seem too bad, but maybe you guys might have a better idea? http://www.tennisnuts.com/shop/other...ic-724519.html

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,293
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Blimey gov', 1500 quid primarily for interest?

  6. #6
    Regular Member ant01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    226
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    For my own use and friends to be more accurate I'd be buying it with my brother to soften the blow too. 1500 is still a lot cheaper than other models I've seen but of course I'd do a lot more research before I actually go for one.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Go for the Electronic. Only problem I see is where it'll be stored and sharing aspects. OK if living under the same roof (ie. with parents). But what happens when you or your brother move out? What happens when you or your brother wants to sell it cuz one of you needs $$ badly? Who gets to keep it at the end?

  8. #8
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,375
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ant - get a decent manual and bang a WISE on it - you'll get change out of 700.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,293
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    ant - get a decent manual and bang a WISE on it - you'll get change out of 700.
    Agreed. You then have a choice of both crank and electronic. And have one tensioner as a back up.

    I did consider getting a WISE tensioner a couple of years back, but they were like 600+... how much are they going for these days?

  10. #10
    Regular Member TimothyHsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Milpitas
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wise head is like 500 usd now I think

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Derbyshire UK
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default manual vs. electronic

    Quote Originally Posted by ant01 View Post
    I've been wanting to get a stringing machine for a while now, but the dilemma that I'm having is whether I should start off with an electronic or manual one. My preference would be for an electronic machine mainly because of the accuracy of the pulls, but also my electronic strung ones seem to feel better too. The racquets that I get hand strung from a shop always seem at least a few lbs lower than the electronic strung ones which I did abroad at the same tension (around 25/26lbs). I guess that I could get around the difference in tension by stringing to a higher tension by hand, but I'm not sure if it would feel the same. What do you guys think? Edit: ugh just realised grammar mistake in the title...can't change it but nevermind
    Can I be the only one recommending a drop weight for the ultimate in accuracy ? Never needing calibration , providing a wonderful visual indication of string stretch , these machines are only marginally slower to apply tension to the string . You're going to spend proportionally far more time threading , weaving and clamping . The whine from the electronic head would drive me mad , but I love the simple aesthetic of the solid,smooth,silent falling weight .

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,660
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    OK, If you wan to get the machine you mentioned in Tennisnut, make sure you can return it if you can not string badminton racquet with it.
    If money is not an object, you will not be checking out the lower end electric machine. Also, the clamps are for tennis, not for badminton. If you are going to make some money stringing on the side, it will take more than 1 year to recover your investment.
    IMHO, you can still do a good job with a manual (crank or drop weight) as long as you know how what is the short coming of each type and spend a lot of time on this forum to figure out how to do a good stringing job.
    Good luck.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Newark, CA
    Posts
    425
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ES5 Protech or wait for Protech 8. I have had ES5 Pro for 6 years and so far so good no problems. It is one of the best machines in the world if not the best for badminton. It is used at all the Yonex tournaments as well as the 2012 Olympic games, Tennis and Badminton. We did have a Protech 8 there too.

  14. #14
    Regular Member ant01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    226
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks all for the advice. I will be doing more research and look into these WISE tensioners

  15. #15
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,375
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kakinami View Post
    ES5 Protech or wait for Protech 8. I have had ES5 Pro for 6 years and so far so good no problems. It is one of the best machines in the world if not the best for badminton. It is used at all the Yonex tournaments as well as the 2012 Olympic games, Tennis and Badminton. We did have a Protech 8 there too.
    I wonder what a kidney goes for these days...

  16. #16
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,664
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    I wonder what a kidney goes for these days...
    You wise guys.


    I would suppose it depends on the level of play you are going for. If you do a lot of competitions, carry about 4 racquets in the bag and using BG66, then yes, I would think you do a lot of restrings and an electronic one is worth it. If you are working and can afford it, then electronic is also worth the cash - the word is "indulgence".

    I used to do 24lbs on a drop weight which was quite enough for me. It wasn't until a lot of training time later (with technique changes) and hundreds and thousands of shuttles in practice sessions that I now prefer 28 to 30 lbs and now take it to a specialist badminton shop to get done. The shop changed to an electronic machine overtime but I'm not convinced I can feel a difference. Perhaps it was due to the skill of the stringer when he used the manual machine - he was very good.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    He was very good? What happened to him now? Did you change stringer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    You wise guys.


    I would suppose it depends on the level of play you are going for. If you do a lot of competitions, carry about 4 racquets in the bag and using BG66, then yes, I would think you do a lot of restrings and an electronic one is worth it. If you are working and can afford it, then electronic is also worth the cash - the word is "indulgence".

    I used to do 24lbs on a drop weight which was quite enough for me. It wasn't until a lot of training time later (with technique changes) and hundreds and thousands of shuttles in practice sessions that I now prefer 28 to 30 lbs and now take it to a specialist badminton shop to get done. The shop changed to an electronic machine overtime but I'm not convinced I can feel a difference. Perhaps it was due to the skill of the stringer when he used the manual machine - he was very good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •