Voltric 70 3U or 4U

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by shootingstar11, Sep 6, 2012.

1. shootingstar11

shootingstar11 Regular Member

no Job
    Guys,

I am thinking to buy a Yonex Voltric 70.
    The dilemma I am facing is to choose the right size / weight for myself.

I know Voltric 70 is a head heavy racket, so my concern is "if" I go with the 3U version, it would be too heavy to wield. However, "if" i go with the 4U version, would I compromise too much power (the power this racket is supposed to generate)?

I am leaning towards 4U version because it adds more maneuverability, and I think I would go with 4U version as long as it doesn't compromise too much power.

By the way, I am currently using Carbonex 35 (even balance) and Arc SAber 002 (even balance) rackets, both of them are 3U. That's why I am trying to get a head-heavy racket this time.

Can someone opine and offer me your valuable feedbacks?

Thanks!

2. sting.kl

sting.kl Regular Member

I would recommend a 4U version. I was very happy with my 3U Yonex Muscle Power 45 a relatively even headed racket and medium flex I presume. But my transion to the 3U voltric 70 didn't go well. It feels too heavy and stiff (despite of medium flex too)for me and is my least favorite racket now.

3. shootingstar11

no Job
    Thanks for your input! That's what I thought, I am a little concerned with the extra weight (at least the feel) the headheavy rackets are bearing.

However, would I lose a significant amount of power by choosing 4U over 3U?

4. sting.kl

sting.kl Regular Member

I have more experience to share. I also have the Voltric 7 which not as head heavy but rated 4U. I would say my overhead clear would go further with the Voltric 70. However, I also use the arcsaber 9fl rated at 4U and I can clear better with it than the voltric 70. Obviously they're different racquets but I enjoy maneuverability more. Also my experience with the Voltric 70 helped choose the arcsaber 9fl. I think you should try to understand your play style, skills etc and what you enjoy most in choosing a racket. Good luck.

#4 sting.kl, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  5. shootingstar11

no Job
    Thanks!
    Is that why you decided to go w/ 4U (arcsaber 9fl)?
    Do you notice any difference in smashing between 3U and 4U?

6. sting.kl

sting.kl Regular Member

Yep, despite being target at females, I ended up choosing the 9fl. I would not rate my smash as a killer weapon. I'm opportunistic with my smashes and would usually do it at half to 3 quarter court. in these situations the 9fl is more than decent. I guess a head heavier racket like the voltric 70 even at 4U would do a better job at smashing.

7. sting.kl

sting.kl Regular Member

Well, between even headed rackets, my smash is better with the 4U 9fl than my 3U MP45. But the 9fl is more advanced :) however, the voltric 70 for me was never that satisfying or memorable. Sorry to say.

8. shootingstar11

no Job
    Hey, I really appreciate your feedbacks :)
    I think I would go w/ the 4U version (too bad, I can't find any Voltric 70 3U in my local stores, would love to give it a try and see how it feels).

I care about my smashing power, but I also don't want to lose the maneuverability and quickness
    Hopefully my smashing would improve w/ the new headheavy racket (moving from CAB35 3U to Voltric 70 4U)?

9. dinitial

dinitial Regular Member

It depends. I'm using head haevy rackets and the Voltric 70 is only a little head heavy. The 3U version had good power but with the 4U version I have to use much more power to do a baseline to baseline clear. IMO the 4U is not a good choice.

10. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    I hope this doesn't make you much confuse than you already have...

I own a 4U VT70, and i find it really nice for maneuvering as well as some explosive shot. For me, it's a all-round racket, as it's fast, yet powerful. If i were to rate it in certain shots, here's my rating.

Smash : 4/5 (BOOM! If you can get used to mid flex racket)
    Push : 3.5/5 (I find stiff racket (VT70 - mid flex) can help me play my shot much accurate)
    Net : 4/5 (I strung mine at 28lbs (BG80), i find it quite a combo when it comes to front court play)
    Lift : 3.5/5 (The heavy weight does all the job, which include sending your shot out to the base line XD)

As for your case, switch to VT70 from a even-balanced racket wont be hard, as it's not very heavy-headed like you might think. I used to play with MP55 (Even-balanced Racket, 2U XD) for almost 10 years. I started young, with that MP55 when I was 14 years old, hehe...

As for the weight difference, you won't lose much maneuverability, it's just a tad heavy-headed compared to even-balanced rackets out there. Furthermore, you already got used to 3U rackets. I choose 4U as I got used to a heavy racket for so long, I fall in love with its light weight when I first swing it XD.

Basically, VT70 was built in a way that it's fast (not bullet type of speed, more like an arrow) yet explosive (not canon type of explosive, more like a shotgun).

So... I think you should go for a 3U. I think if it's a 3U VT70 in your hand, you might get the best of both worlds. Good luck at finding one! Cheers!

11. Gunnersfan

Gunnersfan Regular Member

Student
    imo, it depend on people....
    some people can handle the transition of head heaviness and some are not....
    eventhough VT70 is not head heavy as VT80 or VTZF, the balance point still at 300mm, quite a head heavy racket imo.....
    if possible, try to find any of your friends who use VT70...

roughly, if you want more power, then go for 3U but if you hesitate whether you can use it or not, just go for 4U, it's more forgiving and very user friendly...
    im using 4U VT70 and i feel it's a very good all round racket, i can play single or double.....
    i think it's a bit better than Arcsaber 7....

this is my evaluation on 4U VT70

Power: 4/5, the head heavy does it's job, the power it produce still good enough for me...(3U should give more power)

Maneuverability: 4/5, it's not as fast as Nanoray or Nanospeed series, but it's quite fast for a head heavy racket(3U version maybe slower)

Control: 4/5, either it's 3U or 4U, control skills depend on your skills, i feel comfortable to play control with it....

12. shootingstar11

no Job
    Thanks for the feedbacks, guys!

I am torn on whether to pick a 3U or 4U...
    I live in the States, where 3U may be difficult to come by (and none of my friends are using this racket).

Am I really going to lose that much power (smashing / base line clearing) if I choose 4U over 3U?

What sucks is....the racket is not returnable once it's been strung...so I better make up my mind on which one to go w/...I am leaning towards 4U because I think it's more user friendly, but I am just concerned w/ the power that I would have to compromise (I am okay w/ it if it only loses a slight edge on the power...).

Any thots? Thx!

13. Gunnersfan

Student
    i can do overhead clear to the baseline with 4U VT70....
    maybe your arm is not strong enough....

14. Gunnersfan

Student
    logically, 3U gives more power than 4U....
    but 4U is more maneuverable....
    there is no perfect thing in this world.....
    i believe there are no racket that head heavy but very maneuverable.....
    the same goes to a head light racket but offers power like head heavy racket, it contradicts.....

what i can say is it depends on you....
    look at you playing style, technique and body structure...
    like me, im quite a wristy player, so i choose to get 4U instead of 3U or i may end up "destroying" my wrist....
    im sure there 4U gives less power than 3U but i dont think it's too much....
    i still can do overhead clear to the baseline and can do normal clear with minimal effort...
    so, good luck in choosing....:)

15. shootingstar11

no Job
    Thx Gunnerfan :)

16. nws56

nws56 Regular Member

guitar maker
    I have both 4u and 3u , and can happily swap between them without feeling much difference.
    Yes, the heavier one gives a tiny bit more punch, but it is so little I wouldn't worry about it.
    And neither of them feel head heavy to me; they are both very, very fast to swing.

17. sraoo

sraoo Regular Member

Student
    I own a VT 70 3u and maneuverability isn't an issue. In fact, I find it rather light and slightly head-heavy which is perfect for back court play in doubles. My personal advice is to purchase the 3u version for more racket head speed; you won't regret it!

18. shootingstar11

no Job
    Which one do you prefer, 3U or 4U?
    When do you use 3U and when 4U?

Thx

19. shootingstar11

no Job
    Which one (3U / 4U) do you prefer?
    When do you use them, 3U and 4U?

Thanks.

20. nws56

nws56 Regular Member

guitar maker
    Actually , I gave the 4u to my wife some time ago because the bigger (G3) grip on the 3u suited my ( large ) hand better. But I still try it every now and then and use it as a reference when I'm trying new types of string and tension on the 3u . And I'll sometimes prefer the the 4u with its original , unchanged string setup ! But if pressed ,I'd have to repeat the clich�d but often true mantra of 4u for doubles , 3u for singles .