replacing towel grips

Discussion in 'Grip' started by bigredlemon, Sep 19, 2003.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

What's the quickest way to replace towel grip with leather overgrip? There's got to be an easier way than what I'm doing because the double sided tape, along with random towel strands, is near-impossible to completely remove from the original grip itself. Right now i'm just picking off the tiny pieces and it's been almost 10-20 minutes.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Use hair blower to "heat" up the grip might be easier for the glue stuff. I use this method to remove original grips, and put 2 layers of overgrips.

3. bigredlemon

That's a great idea... except I don't have a hair dryer (which is odd because my hair is--well was--pretty long.) I was impatient before so I ran the handle under hot water... which turned out to be a bad idea as that weakened the tape (rips more easily) and got the handle wet (damages wood underneath?--i think it soaked through.)

Anyway I calmed down a bid and am now taking it off slowly with much success. I guess one just can't tear off towel grip as easily as leather overgrip.

4. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Hii,

My advice for you next time would be to remove the leather orginal grip and put a cloth mesh dressing bandage and then add your towel grip.

If you dont mind you can still have the cloth mesh dressing bandage over the leather grip and then apply your towel grip.

best of luck with that

yogi

5. bigredlemon

Thanks Yogi,
    That sounds like a great idea. I guess the gauze tape would have to have large holes though instead of the thinner ones because the sticky tape of the towel grip wouldn't be able to touch the grip underneath otherwise.

6. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Hii,

my best bet would be for you to make your own towel girp which would be cheaper on the long run depending on how long you play everyday.

I used to wear a wrist band just to ensure that sweat does not roll down from my arm into the cloth grip and yet i lost the great feel in like 4 days of active playing of 5 hrs everyday. (This includes shadows etc...)

From a big egyptian style towel you can atleast make 40-50 cloth grips and that would be like 20 grips a racket. (I usually i keep only 2 rackets strung). That would mean that you can get through 2 months at my preference level with the grip.

Either trial and error with a cheap racket if you dont want to spoil the leather grip of your precious racket. best of luck with that

Yogi

7. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

BTW, 5 hrs evryday was when i was seriously into baddy and 17 yrs of age. I am too old with problems to my knees that has made me stop playing for 4yrs now.

I think u can save a lot of money on towel grips that can be invested in Birds.

Have fun

yogi