fingering process

Discussion in 'Thomas Laybourn Forum' started by fappu, Sep 20, 2003.

1. fappu

fappu Regular Member

customer service executive
    hi ,
    i was just mailing JR about his grip and fingering process,what he said was very interesting.I know that there are standard sources for grips etc,but that is so limited,i was a pro in another sport & i know that as a pro u just ,have a few secrets,could u throw some light on ur grip and fingering process?how do u go about getting the correct feel?how is ur gripping process?
    regds./tks.

2. Laybourn

Laybourn Regular Member

Hi Fappu

I must say that i have the same oppinion as Jonas. We all learn the same techniques in Denmark so i think all the top players have almost the same grip. Off couse there is small differences but it is almost the same. An important clue is you must hold the racket very lose in your hand an tighten the grip when you hit the ball. It is very important because you change your grip so many times, and it´s easier to change grip if your hand is a little lose. But as Jonas said you must do what fit you the best. It would be fun to meet you sometime and show you some tricks with jonas.

Thomas

3. fappu

fappu Regular Member

great!thanks!,do u place ur hands flat on the guts and slide down to tighten the fingers and grip? or do u place ur v into the t joint and slide down to tighten the grip? what can one do to get the loose feel while gripping?also what practises do u do to help in this ?which is the main pressure point while u play forehand?would be delighted to hear from u.
    thanks once again,best regards.

4. woop.

woop. Regular Member

My coach told me a good sign I was loosening my grip on the racquet was if it started flying all over the court.

I disagreed. That is just going to cost me a lot in broken racquets ;)

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Check out the "finger power revisited" thread... it is very relevent to what Laybourn is talking about. The grip technique being discussed is optimal for overhead shots, but the main message is not just about the grip itself;)

6. fappu

fappu Regular Member

yeah ,i have been there,but what kwun is talking about is a different technique,whereas iam interested in knowing how ,Thomas maintains his loose feel and hand skill so i guess we are talking about 2 different issue's, however i must admit that the finger power article is very use ful.
    regds.

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

How does one maintain that loose/relaxed feeling and hand skill? Is there really a way of finding that out beside playing for a long time through trial and error? Is there a secret shortcut to playing under pressure; maintaining calm? I think that's a tough question to answer without involving experience.

#7 cappy75, Sep 25, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2003
  8. fappu

fappu Regular Member

your right!
    regds

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    One way I was told to have that loose look when playing shots was to examine the muscles.

For example the forearm when moving the wrist. The hand can have flexion and extension. when doing the flexion, do the opposing muscles (ie forearm extensors) contract as well? IF they do, then that would be regarded as stiff.

Perhaps repeat the exercise holding a racquet and doing the flexion again - if you grip is tight, then the extensors will bulge a lot more. People who have a more stressed personality or use a lot of strength will have tighter grips. I notice women seem to be better at keeping loose grips. Otherwise, it takes a lot of practice.

The feel of the shuttle on the racquet is a different matter. I think that can only come from hours of playing many repetitive shots and noticing the result of every shot.

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Relax/Loose = Confidence

I think it took me at least two years of regular playing to get comfortable on the court. Learning different grips other than the basic one helps alot in my progress. Also, playing against better players accelerates the learning. You will more likely be relaxed when you get used to intense games.

Now, Thomas is a pro and he probably has his shares of intense games in tournaments and club plays before he turned pro. So we are talking about a player who plays alot. If you want to achieve that calmness in a game (whether maintaining loose feel in racquet or facing shots), you need to play lots. I don't think there's any shortcut around that:(