Blisters - should I try a smaller shoe?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Henki, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Henki

Henki New Member

Hi, just started playing again, and unfortunately I used an old pair of Adidas indoor shoes. They felt a little big, and as though I was sliding around inside.

The result was blisters under the big toes (yes, both). Warning, gross pictures!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used to have the same problem when I played more actively back in the '90s, even though I used proper badminton shoes back then.

Will getting a smaller/tighter shoe help? I'm already using technical socks.

Any tips?

- Henki

2. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    Hey Henki,

I would suggest purchasing foot powder. Pour a fair amount in the shoe, where the ball of your foot and toes are. This will soak up the sweat and moisture from your feet and prevent your foot from moving inside your shoe. It soaks up the sweat so your foot has nothing to slide in. This reduces the friction on your foot and stops blisters.

It would also be a good idea to bring a couple pairs of socks. Switch halfway through or whenever you feel the insides of your shoes are the most moist. Basically this will put a dry sock in the shoe to prevent sliding inside. Of course, your feet will probably build up more moisture so I would suggest foot powder.

It looks like baby powder which might work too. I tried Gold Bond Foot powder and it did the job but it was medicated so my foot felt like it was heating up!