Arc10PG + Z-Force = Arc8Dx?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by sFrog, Sep 8, 2012.

1. sFrog

sFrog Regular Member

Hello there,

I'm using the Z-Force for some time now and I can tame it finally. It really packs some punch due to head heaviness, the shaft bends controlled (the VT80 was worse) and gives great control. Bad days occurred in which I switched to the Arc10PG.

My issue is, the Z-Force makes me a fraction of a second slower in front of the net (net drives, smash return in front of the net). I further would appreciate to adjust my swing even more compact.

The Arc10PG on the other side is fast enough, my muscle strength doesn't limit any movement, only my brain does:eek::p. Resulting therefrom it's fast enough for advanced mens doubles but it sometimes lacks a little bit of beef to put down the shuttle because the defense of the opponents is that good. Additionally I would love to have an improvement in terms of stability in the head an shaft for all out smashing in which the Arc10PG feels slightly "soft".

What I would like now:
    Basically something faster than the Z-Force. (I tried Victor MX80, not an option for me). It should be fast enough for very fast rallies, should feel crisp and maintain stability when abused for hard baseline smashing for setting up and net kills for finishing. Would that Arc8DX be an option? I used Arc5 for quite a while, unfortunately both rackets broke at the shaft and isn't available in Germany anymore.

Sell Z-Force, Arc10PG and get Arc8DX? What would be your choice?

Thanks in advance

2. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I think you have made an error in the title, you mean 8DX?

Anyway, in response to your question, yes I think 8DX is what you're looking for.

I have been looking for the same thing as you for a long time. I used to use my Ti-10 (Gen 1), it was very head heavy and powerful but lacked in manoeuvrability so I often struggled with net shots and defence. Then I found the MP100, even balance, hugely powerful but was very unforgiving, it didn't like off-centre shots at all.

After a lot of trial and error, I eventually bought an Arc 8DX last year and its been exactly what I've been looking for. Its even balanced, has great control, forgiving, stiff, has a solid stable face, takes high tensions and not to mention it has a beautiful colour scheme.

The only thing that might let it down slightly is that it's not a natural smashing racquet - powerful smashes doesn't come quite as easily. If you time it well it is a very powerful racquet, but as I say you need time to adjust to it. All other shots for some reason, are absolutely effortless! I first noticed that clears were very easy to play.

I also have two Arc10s (Std and PG), whilst a lot of people say the Arc10 is similar to the 8DX, I would totally disagree. The 8DX feels quite different. The 8DX has a much bigger sweetspot, the sweetspot is more centred whereas the 10 has a slightly lower sweetspot. The 8DX is also stiffer and more eager.

If you offer up a 10 over and 8DX you will see the frame is a different shape, the face of the 10 is longer and thinner whilst the 8DX is wider and shorter - which to me makes sense given the larger sweetspot of the 8DX.

If you do end up getting the 8DX I don't think you will be disappointed, but as I say, give it some time to adjust for smashes, the power will come!

I'll be looking to buy more 8DXs later as back ups as to me it is my go-to racquet now.

3. sFrog

sFrog Regular Member

Yeah, the title is 8DX and not 10DX, I'm sorry. Can I edit it? I didn't managed to do so on the first place :(

Thanks for your response. I think, that the 8DX really could be the one I'm looking for as I see what your point is. I assume the 8DX to be the more head heavy version of the Nanospeed 9000X.

For me natural smash rackets which fit my style of play where:
    MP100 (gosh, I was jung back then :p)
    NS9000 Type S (very high swing speed, a little bit unstable head but very powerful and nice sound)
    Arc5 (quite stable, not too much flex and perfectly balanced)

I think you've got to adjust to every racket perfectly in order to get the most of it. Basically I really hope to improve my game with a racket that is more maneuverable in order to play sharper angles and get more control on fast rallies. I willingly sacrifice a little bit of power on the smash department because angle is more important than raw power.

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    If that is the case, the 8DX sounds perfect for you.

If you do end up getting it, it would be good to see what you think of it. I personally think it is a hugely underrated racquet... very few professionals use it.

5. sFrog

sFrog Regular Member

I think I will give it a try, since it is worth it and the forum members here are mostly pleased with it. Since I play competitive I would buy two of them at first, BG80 at 27lbs should do. Maybe 26lbs are already crisp enough since it's a stiff racket.

What a shame that my sponsor is Victor and not Yonex. Time to burn money again then :p

I hope, the NR900 won't be a NS9000S successor... hehe

6. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    Would love to hear your opinion on the DX8 as well. Looks like a really interesting racket for a tactical player like me but there is not that many reviews around. :(

7. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    sorry to go off on a tangent, but what is the diff between the 8dx and the 7? i find my Arc100=7 very stiff!!!

8. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    The 7 is not a stiff racquet.

8DX is stiff.

9. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    crap, if i think the 7 is stiff, then the 8dx is really really really stiff. thank you for the comment! :)

8dx purchased! yay!

10. bk_ngo

bk_ngo Regular Member

Senior Manager
    I must say it is an awesome racket. Easy to maneuver net play, power is still there if you have compact or fast swing. I can see that I am able to unlease my smash and clear power more than my VTFZ (may be bcos of my play style) plus more maneuverability. Although it is extra-stiff but I dont think it is a demanding racket at all, it can deliver back-court to back-court clear easily. Defence department is also pretty good with this racket. Nothing to complain except no pro is using it anymore. Highly recommended racket.

#10 bk_ngo, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  11. sFrog

sFrog Regular Member

Had to wait a few days due to the fact that my favorite store didn't have any 8DX in stock. Anyway, got it in my hands finally with Yonex overgrip and BG80 27lbs.

When I compare the 8DX with the Arc10PG, I can feel how the 8DX feels slightly more head heavy thus give a more solid feel by a whisker. When I take a closer look, the head of the 8DX is a little bit wider and shorter and the shaft is a little bit longer. Handle length seems to be the same though.

Taking the string pattern in regard, I've noticed the cross ones to be "located a little bit higher towards the head", thus resulting in the slightly more head heavy feel maybe.

Shaft stiffness of the 8DX has to prove itself when I got my next session. Dry swings indicate a much better controlled flex compared with the 10PG. Nuff said, the swinging feel of the 8DX can be compared to the Z-Force swinging feel.

Ok, this is all I can give you until now, since I hadn't the opportunity to test it under real conditions. My first impression is very promising anyway, it might couldn't have been better. I do really hope, that I will receive the same controlled feeling during a hard smash (Z-Force)... the 10PG used to feel rather soft and too flexy (ok, only when you go for a really hard smash).

... More input after this very weekend guys. ;)

#11 sFrog, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  12. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Looking forward to your review.

I personally don't think BG80 works very well with ArcSabers, but that's just my opinion. For some reason the 8DX (to me) seems to prefer thick strings. I've tried thinner stings but they don't seem to get along quite as well. Despite the tension loss with BG65Ti, it does seem to be the best string for the 8DX. Just need to remember to pre-stretch the strings well before stringing.

I'm also thinking of restringing my 8DX with NBG99 and see how that goes. Never tried NBG99 but have heard good things about it.

FYI, I have the same opinion as you for the Arcsaber 10. Not a bad racquet, but not a great racquet either.

The 8DX on the other hand should in my view be a classic. One of the best racquets Yonex has ever made.

13. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

I agree on the strings, thick strings make you feel that there is a lot of weight behind the shuttle when struck whereas the thin strings has a lot of speed on the shuttle but no weight behind it.

But its probably down to our style of play and technique really. So its a personal preference for me. Not really bothered with what strings I play with so long as its at a good tension.

14. sFrog

sFrog Regular Member

Like you said it is a quite personal thing. Since now I have used 3 Arc5 (underrated racket), 3 Arc10PG and now one Arc8DX. BG80 did work on Arc5, but NBG95 was better. On the PG I tried BG65, BG80, NBG95 and NBG98. BG65 was ok, BG80 let the racket feel a little bit hollow but fast (weird), NBG95 was best hitting feel but maybe too slippery. I ended up with using the BG65 at 28-29lbs.

The Arc8DX felt so solid in my hand (unstrung at a sellers stand) that I give the BG80 a go. It works great on the Z-Force for me, now I hope it does the same marvelous job on the Arc8DX as well.

The season has begun for me and on the weekend there are two games. Afterwards I can check on that, but basically you're right. I tried NBG98 on AT900P and T and I didn't have the feel of hitting hard even when I actually hit hard. Weird feeling

15. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

16. sFrog

sFrog Regular Member

Hello guys. 8DX thread is quite long but very informative, thanks for that;)

I took my time and my result is simple. Both Arc10PG are sold, rackets I highly regarded and still do. Somewhere in the 8DX fred a member claimed the 8DX would be a Arc10 with more eager to play. Basically everything is wrapped up with that.

It's stiffer overall and has a more solid feel. Vibration is there, but not as much as with the Arc10 (at the same tension with the same string) which is something I usually like, usually. Due to it's lack of vibration I increased the tension and now I feel fine. Maybe it's awkward, but for me this is one of the very few rackets that actually need higher tensions (>28-30lbs) in order to unlock it's potential. Touch is there and hard shots feel much more solid. Furthermore I'm able to adjust my swing by making it more compact and fast in order to make the extra stiff/stiff shaft kick... resulting in a more powerful smash.

If there is something to complain it would be the hitting sound. Even though this might be nitpicking, I still hoped for a higher pitched hitting sound. If you hit hard it's a quite decent high pitched metallic boom or clack... but it isn't the high, short and crisp sound of a thunder you can get from a Nanospeed.

I will let go my Z-Forces and Arc10PG and go for 8DX. PGs are already sold as one Z-Force. The 8DX is the fast version of the Z-Force and the more eager version of the Arc10. If you are fine with the Z-Force in mens (or ws) but wish to gain a little bit more quickness for doubles... I can recommend you the 8DX and if you are a hard hitter and wish your Arc10 or Arc10PG to be stiffer, the 8DX provides you with more control and angle.

However, this are just my personal thoughts. It should have already beed said in the 8DX fred.

17. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I'm glad you like the 8DX as much as I do.

If you like better sound, perhaps try a thinner string? However I personally feel that thick strings are best on the 8DX. I tried BG68Ti @ 28lb recently, which although is a medium gauge string, I think I prefer something a touch thicker, so I'm going to put NBG99 on it tonight and see what it's like.

I have NBG95 on my Z-slash which is very good, I love the feel you get from NBG95, drop shots with this string is amazing. Given that NBG99 is meant to be an improved version of the NBG95, this should be good (hopefully!).

18. Aryan

Aryan Regular Member

Great to hear good comments about 8DX :)

Allow me to off topic a bit.... anyone can compare 8DX with MX80? Are they in the same league?

What are the differences between them in the area of speed, power, control, maneuverability and other significant aspect of performance?

Thanks in advance!

19. SantaSCSI

SantaSCSI Regular Member

Good question. I have an MX80 AND Zslash myself and while the Zslash can be frustrating at bad/mediocre days, its even balance is perfect for both doubles and singles (my opinion). The MX80 is a slayer but too slow in doubles for me. I can get my hands on an 8DX with BG80 or BG65 so I was wondering the same.

20. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I've not tried the MX80 before.

But I can compare the Z-slash with the 8DX as I have both. The first thing you notice with the Z-slash is the racquet head speed you can generate and also how easy it is to get power into your shots - but only if you time it right, it's quite easy to mistime the first time you use it.

The 8DX is a more forgiving racquet. It has a shorter and wider racquet face compared to other top-end arcsabers and is far wider than the z-slash. Because of the combination of even balance, stiff shaft and forgiving frame, this is one of the best defensive racquets I've played with. The Z-slash is also good, but with it's smaller head it's more prone to mishits. However the slash makes up for it's smaller head with great anti-torque properties, so off-centre shots are not as bad which goes some way to making up for a smaller sweetspot.

Whilst the slash is also a stiff racquet, it does have a longer shaft, which enables it to flex a little more. So in my opinion the 8DX is the stiffer of the two racquets.

I have been alternating between a Z-slash and 8DX for some time now. There's very little betweeen the two. If I'm after some control, I get the 8DX, if I'm feeling like I want to smash every lift I get, I go to my Z-slash.