Vancouver Fun Tournament Info

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Traum, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Hello folks. After much delay and a few false starts, I am glad to announce that the fun tournament I've been trying to organize is finally happening! Here are the details of the tournament:

Date
    Saturday, November 22, 2003

Place
    Bethany Baptist Church
    22680 Westminster Hwy
    Richmond, B.C.

Time
    1:00pm - 5:00pm

Registrations and warm-ups starts at 12:30pm

Format
    16 teams of "open" doubles (MD, WD, XD all playing together in the same draw)
    Minimum 4 matches, 5 games per team

Prizes
    Over $270 worth in championship, runner-up, and draw prizes
    (and let me assure you that there'll be LOTS of draw prizes!)

Registration
    Registration fee: $30/team
    BC/BF-members only registration deadline: Friday, September 26, 2003
    General registration deadline: Friday, October 10, 2003

If you are interested in participating at the tournament, please contact me at ryleung@telus.net . If you're a BC/BF member, don't forget to include your member name in the email. Please note that your registration cannot be confirmed until the registration fee has been received. Also, the registration fee is not refundable unless the tournament is cancelled.

Please contact me if you have any questions about the tournament. I hope I'll see all the local members at the tournament!

-Rick

p.s. Note to mods: I know another thread for this tournament has already been lurking around the forum for quite a while now, but I I think it would be easier for everyone if all the tournament info is presented at the top as the very first message of the thread. Thanx!

2. hwongc

hwongc New Member

it will be fun.. ^_^"

3. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Choice of Shuttles

As always, I have forgotten to included some information which might be important to you.

Choice of Shuttles
    Yonex Mavis 300

Method of Payment
    As stated in the previous message, I'll need to collect the registration fee before I can confirm your registration at the tournament. The preferred method of payment is to send me a cheque via snail mail. However, since I am a little paranoid about posting my home address on the Internet, I'll only send it to those who want to play in the tournament. So please send me some email (at ryleung@telus.net) to let me know.

-Rick

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Rick, good luck with the tournament!

i am a bit surprised by the shuttle choice with plastics.

5. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Well, the choice to go ahead with nylon shuttles is a bit of a tough one. I wanted to make sure that a beat-up shuttle wouldn't be used in a game, but in order to do that with feather, a very conservative estimate came out to be approximately Cdn$100, given the large number of games that will be played. If that much money is tied up by the shuttles, then I wouldn't be able to afford any draw prizes at all. In keeping with the spirit of a fun tournament, I wanted more people to win something to take home from the event. But since there can only be one tournament champion, draw prizes are the next best thing I can think of.

In the end, the choices are a set of compromises that I hope everyone will be happy with.

-Rick

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    traum, do u use green or blue mavis 300?

7. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    plastic shuttles are fine

nothing wrong with using the Yonex, and for sure a lot cheaper than supplying feathers. I think I went through one tube of featheres on the one day when Kwun and Cooler were in town.

Also if both teams agree, you could allow players to substitute using their own feather shuttles. That could be a choice to accomodate the feather diehards.

8. Traum

Traum Regular Member

To Cooler:

I'll be using the Blue Mavis 300's. The green ones are too slow.
    Now, my question is, would the tournament and the warmer Vancouver winter be enough to entice you to make another trip to Vancouver? :D

To Badrad:

As long as the players agree, I have no problem with them substituting their own feather shuttles in place of my Mavis 300s. Having said that, the players will have to decide for themselves whether they want to put up with the different flight characteristics of feather or plastic between the games. And of course, they would have to bear the cost of providing their own shuttles in addition to the registration fee.

In any case, the official shuttles of the tournament will be Mavis 300s, and those are the only ones I would provide.

So, is Badrad gonna team up with Mrs. Badrad for the tourney?

-Rick

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    To badrad:
    hey, dont blame me:eek: , you and kwun were having some vicious XD games, i didn't dare to play against you that day;)

To traum:
    Ahh, plastic birdies, mmm, tempting indeed;) I would definitely have an edge on this one. Will see.:)

10. defiant

defiant Regular Member

Yeah! Finally!

Wow, it's finally official. I have been waiting for this for so long. Way to go, Rick! :D

11. valourarc

valourarc Regular Member

Professional
    Anyone looking for a mens double partner? I'll be in Vancouver that weekend and I'm interested in playing. Would love to meet some BF/BC people since I missed out on the VRC weeekend!

12. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Super! I'm looking for a double partner too for this tournament ... maybe there should be a pool of "seekers"?

-dave

13. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Traum: Just to clarify when you mention the priority goes to BF members first. Does both partners have to be BFer's or just one? Might make it easier for getting a partner. Or as Wood_22_Chuck suggests to allow "seekers" or "request partner" sign up and get their partners on the tournament day.

14. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    I think BFers technically have priority because no one knows about the tournament yet. :)

Drats, I wish I could make the trip out the BC for this. I wonder if my company would fly me out for this event? :D

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Traum, i see, i see. make sense. i hope you guys have a great tournament! remember to post pictures and results!

16. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Hey folks. To answer badrad's question, having just one BF member in the team would be enough to secure an early registration. That way, it'll be easier for all of us to find partners.

Also, I've received a number of inquiries from people who want to particpate in the tournament, but need to find themselves a partner. Wood22chuck and badrad's suggestion of a seeker pool is very logical, but I am afraid that the matching up would turn into an organization nightmare if we were to do it on tournament day. It would probably be less chaotic if all the singletons get paired up before the tournament. So may I suggest to the forum members that we take advantage of this forum and post our partner requests either in this thread or in a brand new one?

-Rick

p.s. And don't forget folks, early registration for BFers will end this Friday. After that, registration will be opened to everybody. So please send your registration requests in to me sooner rather than later!

17. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Hey folks. I regret to tell you that as of today, response to registration has only been lukewarm. In particular, although interest in the tournament seems to be quite high, very few people (especially folks from the forum) are actually registering. In a sense, that is a little disappointing because the tourney is certainly not turning into the BC/BF event that I had originally hoped for.

But alas, there are still two weeks before the registration deadline, and I'm planning to talk to more people about the tournament. So, to the numerous local members in Vancouver, please reconsider whether you would like to participate in the tournament. If you're holding back because you don't have a partner, contact other local members to see if they're interested. If you're unwilling to participate because you're concerned about your skill level, don't be! The purpose of the fun tournament is to come out and enjoy a little competitive badminton.

I look forward to hear from all of you!

-Rick

18. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Hey folks. Just a reminder that the registration deadline is coming up this Friday on October 10. We still have room for a few more teams, so if haven't made up your mind as to whether you should join or not, you better act fast! It looks like the competition is gonna be very interesting, so I would really encourage you to take part in the event.

-Rick

19. valourarc

valourarc Regular Member

Professional
    What do you mean by "the competition is gonna be very interesting"? You're getting me worried Traum. :)

20. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Ha, no need to freak out Valour. I was only saying that because I know the level of play for quite a few teams should be pretty close to each other, and hence the "interesting competition" comment.

But there are at least three teams in particular that I think would be "especially interesting" to watch. And I'll leave that for you to interpret. ;)

-Rick