Rules question...

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by graphite, Sep 20, 2003.

1. graphite

graphite Regular Member

Student
    Is it allowed to set to 5 on 13-all/9-all in the 1st or 2nd set or is it only allowed in the 3rd set? how about setting to 3 on 14-all/10-all?

2. GOwin

GOwin Regular Member

It doesn't matter if you're on the first, second, or the third set. At 14-all (MD, MS) or 10-all (LS), the team that first took 14 (or 10) decides how to set the game. (Besides, in places I play (where a queing system is used) a match only consists of 2 sets. But if we reserve a court for exclusive games, a third set decides who wins the match (if each team won 1 set each))

But in all the places I've played at, it's either the game is set to 17 points (rule 7.4.2) or set the game to 19 points (which isn't in the rulebook at all).

So unless it's an officially sanctioned tournament (and therefore official rules apply), i think it's okay if you and your playmates agree on how to set a game before you play to prevent any misunderstandings.

3. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    These are the old setting rules which was changed 6 or so years ago in favor of a single setting rule at 14.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes, if my memory serve me correctly, it was 1998.

5. graphite

graphite Regular Member

Student
    So from 1998 onwards, you can only set at 14-all/10-all and NOT at 13-all/9-all? Thanks for clearing this up. :)

6. davis

davis New Member

Student
    Latest scoring rules, anyone?

Hey fellow badminton-lovers,

I'm a newbie here but have visited this site many times nevertheless.
    I wanted to ask you guys a question about the badminton scoring system. I searched a lot and found that MD, and MS are played to 15 and they have the opportunity to set at 14-14. I have found other sites that say you can set both at 13 (to 18) and 14 (to 17).:confused: I'm not sure which is correct. The same for XD, WD and WS, where some say you can set at 10-10 and others say you can set at both 9 and 10.

I would appreciate some accurate info on this.

#6 davis, Dec 12, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  7. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    The accurate information is that no matter what the score you can only set at 14-14 and 10-10(ladies singles)

when you reached 13 the option was set to 5, this is no longer used and was abandoned as per Kwuns post!