Removing grip?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by whitenova, Sep 20, 2003.

1. whitenova

whitenova Regular Member

student
    I want to change the grip on my bk, the grip is a bk tuf re-grip wrap. It's too spongy and soft,so it feels like it's about to fly out of my hand when I do a clear :( I'm hitting the birdie with less force because the grip is too...I dunno know how describe it :p lol And the handle part is the heaviest part of the racquet. My previous racquet's handle was hard, light, and just a tiny bit of softness, it was a tuf re-grip too, except it was badly worn out with years of playing which made it feel like a towel grip, but thicker and it still had the gripping rings. Some people say that towel grips mold easily :eek:

Can I sand the wood underneath? What brand/kind of grip should I get? And how can I get the grip off my bk if I want to regrip it?

Sorry about all the newbie qs :D

2. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Removing your existing BK grip should be pretty easy, although it could get a little messy. Just peel off the tape at the base of the cone (at the top of the handle), and then pull the pull the existing grip out. The TUF re-grip is a replacement grip, so there should be some double-sided clear tape that sticks the grip to the wooden handle. Just peel that off carefully as well, or use a bit of rubbing alcohol or something to help you get rid of the guck and gooey/sticky parts.

For starters, I wouldn't recommend you to sand down your grip right now. Try to experiment with different grips or configurations first. For example, if you find the TUF re-grip to spongy and soft, perhaps you can just wrap an overgrip on top of the wooden handle and see how that feels. And don't forget that different brands of overgrips have different thickness as well. For example, the Yonex Grap and the Head overgrip are pretty thin even for overgrips, while the Karakal PU overgrip and the Pointfore Supreme Overgrip have a bit more padding.

-Rick

3. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Is teh TUF grip the rubber-looking black grip with spiral bump protrusions? If so then I would like to take the time to announce my strong dislike of that grip. I'd just unwind the grip, peel off the (cheap) foam underneath, and rewrap the grip back to where it was before. Then tape it as before. Now the grip will be much closer to their Competition grip (which I think is awsome.)

Which racquet are you talking about btw?

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Black Knight's TUF Re-Grip was what I used and preferred prior to adapting to advanced finger power grip techniques. It's very good for beginners and/or players who use one or two forms of gripping techniques. However, as I progressed and improved on my racquet handling, I find myself using smaller and leaner grips.

Granted, BK's TUF Re-Grip is difficult to peel off. Usually, what I would do with the styroform padding after getting rid of the tape is gently rubbed off the edge and peel it off in one piece. I agree with Traum that rubbing alcohol would help rid the remaining pieces. You might want to re-consider sanding down the handle as it's irreversible and the margin for error is unfavorable unless you are experienced in woodwork.

Like BRL, I am a big fan of BK's Competition Grips and have almost replaced all my racquet grips with them. Tacky with a little padding and easier to remove, those BK grips are what I used now. Although not as durable as TUF Re-Grip, I find that they last longer as I get better in my skills (ie. not gripping the racquet as hard as before).

Oh, and don't waste money on towel grips... I used to love them too, until they lost their tackiness and got all smelly and dirty. Replacing them was a pain in the a**, as it's really tough to get them out because they break off easily:(

5. whitenova

whitenova Regular Member

student
    Well, I'm thinking of either buying a roll of towel grips and just wrap it over the tuf re-grip or taking off the tuf re-grip and putting super grap on or taking bigredlemon's advice and just peel off the foam. But another option I'm considering is putting tennis grips on, some people say that tennis grips are the best choice. Is that true?

6. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I would recommend against putting a towel grip on top of your current grip as that would make your handle far too big to hold effectively. As for using tennis replacement grip--i'd recommend against that as well due to it's thickness.

The easiest solution imho is to do what I suggested before, and then add on an overgrip. The grip size will be close to what you had before, still offer good cushioning while not feeling soft or spongey. You can use overgrips from other racquet sports so finding them shouldn't be hard either.

7. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

Because it's a spongy material, it's a messy job if rushed. I know of people that have took a carving knife and have made slits in the grip and ripped it off that way (supposedly it was easier and cleaner). However, I have a spare racket that has that type of grip, I never replaced it but instead tried to wear down the grip as much as I could. Once it was wore down, I used thing overgrips and griped over the bk one. Granted the grip was a little bigger, but if you ever plan on not taking the grip off...that might be something you'd want to consider.

8. whitenova

whitenova Regular Member

student
    Taking the grip off was pretty easy, and I removed the foam spiral. But it still didn't make a big difference 'cause the spiral parts still stuck out. It had a 3 on the wood, so I guess it's a 3u? I'm probably gonna stick the spiral back in and go with yonex super grap or other recommended grips on this board. Please give some recommended names :) And what about winex or yang yang grips?

#8 whitenova, Sep 21, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2003
  9. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Assuming that you're only gonna wrap an overgrip on top of the spiral and the bare wood, I most definitely wouldn't recommend you to go ahead with a Yonex grap. They are very thin, and I can't imagine how they could be even remotely comfortable.

For overgrips, I am very happy with Pointfore's Supreme Overgrip. The padding is comfy without being too thick, and durability is good as long as your hands aren't too sweaty. (Mine generally lasts for 3 to 4 month each, and I typically play 3 to 4 times a week for 2 hours each)

Karakal's PU overgrip is also nicely padded, so it should work well for you as well.

-Rick

10. Oranjmaan

Oranjmaan Regular Member

student, Kumon Math Marker (w00t!)

I'd recommend trying out the karakal pu grip first. I have a pretty big handle on my 55, g2 i think, so i strip it down to the wood, and use the pu. It's the thinnest grip with doublesided tape on it (which is almost a must when gripping on wood). Very comfy, pretty durable.

11. whitenova

whitenova Regular Member

student
    I went on karakal's website http://www.karakal.com/products/grips.html but the PU grip is a re-grip, or did you mean the Peachy 6 grip?

Pointfore's supreme overgrip looks comfortable too. I found someone near me that sells Gamma grips, are those good? I'll probably get the peachy6 or the supreme overgrip since they look more tacky :)

12. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Opps... I guess I goofed... It should be the 0.75 Karakal grip that I was talking about.

I should point out that the if you have sweaty hands, the Pointfore Supreme Overgrip might not be the best choice for you. Although they absorb a lot of moisture, they get a little crusty when they are soaked, and would wear prematurely.

-Rick

13. whitenova

whitenova Regular Member

student
    the point 75 looks pretty good, and ya my hands sweat easily. But the 0.6 peachy looks more tacky and non-slippery. Has anyone tried the peachy? Thanks :)

14. Traum

Traum Regular Member

If you're gonna wrap the overgrip on top of the bare wood, I think the 0.6mm overgrip might be a bit too thin. You're gonna feel every bump and edge of the wooden handle, you know?

-Rick

15. whitenova

whitenova Regular Member

student
    Oh...I hadn't thought of that yet..hmm..
    So you're the Vancouver representative for Pointfore products? It's nice of you to give information on other brands instead of saying pointfore's the best :) Is there a Western Canada representative for Karakal products on here?