Stringing last cross(A8) on Voltric 70 w/gamma x-2

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by G(o)Su, Sep 9, 2012.

1. G(o)Su

G(o)Su Regular Member

Student
    Hi, hopefully this is not a repost, but I couldn't find anything on this topic for hours.

I'm new to stringing and I have a gamma x-2 2point drop weight stringing machine.

I'm having trouble stringing the last cross at the top of my Voltric 70 racket at A8 because the frame support of the machine is in the way and it's very hard to weave and impossible to clamp(at least with hiqua clamps that I have).

Does anyone have any experience or advice with this issue?

Some things I thought of that might work.
    a)using an awl in the last grommet to hold the tension instead of a clamp. How bad is this for your racket?
    b)top down. But this isn't recommended, how bad is this for your racket?
    c)since I have all the crosses tensioned, I loosen the frame support just enough to adjust the frame support that holds down the racket a little, this allows more visibility, and a little more room to work, but I still can't clamp the last cross.
    IMG_0761.jpg
    d)just skip the last top cross?

Please give me any advice you may have and your opinions on the options I listed. Thanks

I will post some pictures to show what I mean.
    IMG_0760.jpg IMG_0758.jpg

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

You can do one of two things:

1. Top down - it's no worse for the racket than bottom up if your technique is sound.
    2. Weave the last five or six crosses without pulling them - you will be able to weave the top one in a V shape further down the mains if the last few crosses aren't tight.

3. G(o)Su

G(o)Su Regular Member

Student
    So for Top Down crosses, I just need to make a starting knot then pull the top two crosses at the same time? Is this the best way to do it?

For option 2, this certainly makes weaving easier! But I still cannot clamp onto the last cross :(

4. G(o)Su

G(o)Su Regular Member

Student
    So for Top Down crosses, I just need to make a starting knot then pull the top two crosses at the same time? Is this the best way to do it?

For option 2, this will definitely make weaving easier! But I still cannot clamp onto the last cross :(

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Have you tried pushing an awl into the grommet to hold the tension on the last cross? If you can't get clamps in there, an awl should retain more tension than doing a double pull.

6. G(o)Su

G(o)Su Regular Member

Student
    I just looked at my first picture, and noticed that a yonex clamp might be able to fit on the last cross after I move the frame support. I ordered some from W&D Stringing two weeks ago and should be coming in soon. Hopefully it fits then I shouldn't have much trouble doing the last cross.

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

It's usually not recommended to move any machine parts during stringing, but taking the "hold-down" plate off at the top shouldn't have much of an effect if you're already at the top cross - you're right at the end of the stringjob, so virtually 100% of the frame stresses have been equalized.

8. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

I agree with this rather than pushing an awl into the grommet. You'll probably get a yonex clamp under the string bed to hold the last cross. There wouldn't be anything wrong with pulling that last one by hand anyway. I've done this with fishing scales, form a loop, pull by hand and clamp as normal

9. G(o)Su

G(o)Su Regular Member

Student
    Results with Yonex clamp: After tensioning the last cross, it is possible to move the "hold down" support enough to clampthe last main(with yonex clamps) from the above the string bed. Then you can tie off. Thanks everyone for your help.