Current Shuttlecock Prices in Hong Kong, China?

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by Squall Leonhart, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Regular Member

Hi,

I have a relative coming over from Hong Kong soon, and I am going to ask them to bring over some shuttlecocks. However, they know nothing about Badminton at all. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone is able to tell me the current prices in HK of Yonex Mavis birds and Yonex AS birds. As well as telling me which places are cheapest! Another reason for this is that I want to compare the prices of the birds from where I live and the prices in Hong Kong. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you very much (in advance).

Squall

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Plastic shuttles? I can't remember the last time I saw any on display!!

Yonex feather? price range about 100-110 HKD (v roughly).

Chepaest place? since prices can vary, you'd have to do your own hunting when you get to HK;)

3. Traum

Traum Regular Member

You didn't write down where you are located, but I would have to warn you that different regions have different specs/requirements for their shuttles. In particular, you must pay extra attention to the shuttle speeds. For feather shuttles, I think the HK shuttlecocks generally have a speed rating of 75 (suitable for 33 degrees C) or 76 (28C to 33C). If you live in the States, you'll probably want something with a 77 or perhaps even 78 speed rating, depending on where you live. For nylon shuttles, the same thing applies. Don't get the green cap (slow) stuff if what you really need is the blue cap (regular speed) version.

You should definitely warn your relative about these subtle differences, you know?

-Rick

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    speed

usually 78-79-80 are sold in HK.

I used 78 last night in the HK sports institute. My club uses RSL tourney 80.

But Traum is right - buying a shuttle is pretty much of a gamble.

5. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Opps... I guess I wasn't thinking when I wrote the the last message. I don't know how I could forget that everywhere has air conditioning in Hong Kong, so shuttles with 78 to 80 speeds would definitely make more sense than my 75 and 76 guesses. Major thanx to Cheung for correcting my oversight.

Still, the moral of the message applies: You'll need to look for a shuttle with the appropriate speed rating for your location.

-Rick