Lack of Mississauga, ON Clubs?

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by Pointfore.Ca, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    Rumour has it that the city of Mississauga will be shutting down the badminton programs in several of their community centres, including Erin Meadows and Frank McKechnie. The mentality is that they can get 40 people in a gym for a couple hours for badminton, or they can get 80 people in a gym for a couple hours of square dancing...

On other notes, the Erindale Junior Badminton Club had the membership fill up in less than an hour and a half from the opening time of registration. That is 150 members.

A badminton tournament run in Mississauga during the summer had close to 100 registrants from all over the GTA, many coming from Mississauga.

If anyone is interested in writing to the city please let me know and I will find whatever information I can on who to contact and complain about the lack of badminton support within our community. There is definitely a need and desire for more badminton from all ages. I don't see juniors going to go learn square dancing... do you?

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

What's the address?

Someone type up a letter so we can modify it, print it out, and send it in. (Email is useless for these kind of things.) If even 25 of us can do it I think we'll have a significant impact. Act quick before the square-dancing club's campaign starts!

3. Pointfore.Ca

Equipment Reseller
    I've done some research and this is what I've come up with. The Mississauga Sports Council may be a good place to start.

The Sports Council is located at:
    Suite 1055 (First floor),
    Mississauga Civic Centre, 300 City Centre Dr., Mississauga, Ontario L5B 3C9.
    Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

905-896-5853 Fax: 905-615-4171.

I'll let everyone know if I find more infomration.

4. Sliced Drop

Sliced Drop Regular Member

That sucks, I hope that you can get it reversed.

Has anyone else noticed that new 'sports' clubs are now rarely more than a hall filled with gym equipment.
    It's all about the $/m^2/hour,

5. Pointfore.Ca

Equipment Reseller
    That's because rent and equipment is expensive... the cities just don't appreciate all forms of entertainment... :(