Place to buy badminton rackets from JB (Malaysia)?

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by Junhan, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Junhan

Junhan Regular Member

Hi Fellow Friends,

Where is the best place to buy badminton rackets from JB (Malaysia)?

Brand like Winex, Proace, Apacs, Sintec etc?

Junhan

2. Carbonexer

Carbonexer Regular Member

There is a shop on the 2nd floor (or 3rd can't remember) in Komtar. Not sure they carry Winex or Apacs but I think to find ProAce rackets in M'sia should not be a problem.

3. ak6210

ak6210 Regular Member

student
    probably you would want to ask where to get the cheapest price for proace rackets? proace is the most popular brand in malaysia. i came across one shop in taman seri tebrau. opposite the very big hawker center is located, just walk along that stretch , you will find a small shop with quite a range of rackets. i was there asking for yonex and pretty expensive. yonex in malaysia is very expensive. the sales man was a youngster. nice person. hope the shop is still around

4. shuyi

shuyi Regular Member

Yes. The shop is still around. I was there few days ago :)

Agree with you, the shop owner is indeed a nice guy. My intention was only to buy a grip but i chatted with the guy for almost 2.5 hours. He "demo" some of his knowledge on badminton (correct way of to hold racket, jumping smash etc) for me and my friend.

And in the end, i bought a yang yang racket from him.

5. Smilley

Smilley Regular Member

IT Sec
    I was back in M'sia last year and the shop opposite the big hawker centre was still there. I have never been in that shop before myself but from what I see when I drive through, they have a good range of rackets in there.

Like most of us have said in this thread, Yonex rackets are rather expensive in M'sia. Proace and Winex, Gosen, Yang Yang and Carlton are rather popular. I did not get the opportunity to see or try any of the SINTEC rackets when I was back in JB last year. Maybe they have started stocking them. Proace being the most popular brand. I love the proace brand not because it's cheap but the quality of the racket is amazing. I bought a Proace Titanium 9 and it's strung at 28 pounds believe you me. It's light and good for net play. Smash is awesome ONLY if you get it in the sweet spot.

Back to the location. Some other places that are not mentioned in this thread are the rather old shops near the KOMTAR shopping center. Walk out of lower level KOMTAR exit, opposite you will see an indian temple. Once out of the komtar's exit turn right and WALK straight towards the old looking run down row of shops.

Take your time walking through those old shops and you will find these shops that do stationary business but also sells badminton rackets. They do stringing as well. I believe there are a total of 2 such shops in that area. One of the shops is on a very busy road and they sell table tennis bats as well.

Check them out. They have quite a good range. Let me know if they have started selling the Armotec 500 and 700 series and how much are they.

Much appreciated if you could let me know.

Smilley.

#5 Smilley, Sep 23, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2003
  6. Carbonexer

Carbonexer Regular Member

I am very impressed by your knowledge on the shops in JB as a New Zealander. :eek:

7. legal strike

legal strike Regular Member

i think Smilley is a Malaysian

8. elvinlwj

elvinlwj Regular Member

Dental Surgeon
    Hi there.
    I am from JB and could give you some idea.
    Yes the shop that most of you all mentioned in Taman Sri Tebrau is still there.
    I know the person. His name is Joseph Tan. We call him "Ah Tan"(in Hokkien).
    His rackets are cheap and he carries a wide range. HOWEVER, his strings and grips are rather pricey. I recently got a MP-77 with BG-68 Ti string and Yonex grip for RM290. His shoes are cheap though.

There is another shop worth trying. It is located in Taman Sentosa along a very busy road. On one side there are karaokes and pubs. The opposite side is where there are furniture and bridal shops. The shop is located next to a bridal studio. Now his rackets are a little pricier but his grips and strings are cheaper(say RM7.90 compared to RM12.90 from Ah Tan). However the owner is more "cocky" than Ah Tan who is really a nice guy. Here he does not sell shoes.

DO NOT buy Armortechs are MP-100/99 in M'sia. These rackets are horrendoulsly expensive. Better to get in S'pore. MP-100 is retailing in JB around RM500; MP-99 around RM700 and Armortechs around RM900 and above. Someone posted that KL seems to be cheaper. Sorry I have no experience there.

Hope I have given some help there.:) :) :)

BTW if anyone goes to JB during weekends could give me a post. Can meet up and bring you all to these two shops since I know them.:) :)

9. Junhan

Junhan Regular Member

elvinlwj, are you refering to Yonex brand? I think because yonex rackets are made from Japan and due to the import and taxes etc, it'll be pricy in malaysia.

How about Proace and Apacs rackets? It'll be cheaper in JB am I rite?

Junhan

10. ak6210

ak6210 Regular Member

student
    if anyone happens to visit that shop in taman seri tebrau. please check the price of proace platium dream blue colour. thanks .

11. elvinlwj

elvinlwj Regular Member

Dental Surgeon
    Hello everyone.
    Elvin here.
    Sorry if I have caused misunderstandings.:)

Yes I mean to say that Yonex rackets are very expensive.
    Apacs and Proace are definitely cheaper.
    One of my badminton kakis bought the Apacs Mighty Muscle 88(or something like that) at 2 for RM199!!
    Golden in colour and qiute nice.
    However for me it is Yonex or nothing. Ah Tan said that Yonex rackets still offer the best quality for rackets and I believe him.

Think should let you all know that Yang Yang rackets are also cheap here. In fact Yang Yang himself set up his headquarters right smack in JB itself. He is the MD and the CEO is a Malaysian.

BTW the shop in Tmn Sri Tebrau is Mega Sports Sdn Bhd.

Hope that helps to clear up any doubts:) :) :)

Will check out the Ti dream for you if I go back there again.:D :) :D

12. Smilley

Smilley Regular Member

IT Sec
    HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!! Armotec 700 retails for $900 plus in M'sia? No kidding. I can get it in NZ for $320. Although it's only a 4u version but it's enough for me.

Smilley

13. elvinlwj

elvinlwj Regular Member

Dental Surgeon
    Hi.
    I really am not kidding. You can read sliced drop's thread somwhere and he too agrees!
    So buy rackets in S'pore.
    Not so patriotic here huh! Ha ha Ha!:D :D :D

14. Smilley

Smilley Regular Member

IT Sec
    Anyone here knows how much is the armotec 500 and 700 selling for in Singapore???

Smilley

15. elvinlwj

elvinlwj Regular Member

Dental Surgeon
    The last time I went to Music book room in Bras Basah(about 1 month ago) they were quoting about $340+.

Elvin
    :)

16. Smilley

Smilley Regular Member

IT Sec
    Is that a 4U version? 4U is around 80 - 85 Grams I believe.

Smilley

17. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

in KL..

mp100 is RM460
    Mp99 is RM 570

Armortec Rm650 +/- RM20

in KL.... all racquets are tagged at retail price...... but if u really ask them... they'll tell you the actual price they selling it...

18. blueyfish

blueyfish Regular Member

Just got back from JB. Mega don open on sunday :( . so went to the shop at Taman Sentosa (shop name: Hongli). Note HongLi is in chinese wordings not english ya..else no matter how many rounds u circle around the area u wont see it. I also don at first. *smile*

Rackets range quite alot i would say..some range i remember was

Proace series
    ****Proace 210 / 310 = RM 151
    ****Proace Ti9 / Magic = RM 175

yonex Mp series (no mp 99 , 100 no armo too)
    yones iso series
    Fleet series
    Yang Yang series
    Apacs Series
    Ashaway
    few more brands .couldnt remember

Btw quite a range of rackets. Band inlcude yang yang, apacs, fleet, ashaway, having promotion buy one get one...free

(strings not included. With strings another 22 RM.

Didnt see plat. dream though

But one thing the owner quite "dao" simply don slash price one. sian. Very netural salesman. U ask him..this n tat always say depends lor....etc

*mayb cos i first time go there..*

*smile*

19. shuyi

shuyi Regular Member

mega operating hour is irregular, sometimes i see the shop open on sunday.

i think there is also english shop name for "Hongly" as well... but maybe the chinese word is larger. hee..

i went to the shop Hongly a few times, bought shuttlercock and grips, yah.. there is one guy which look quite "dao" to me, but i think one of the lady there is quite friendly.
    She has ask us to leave our contacts with her if we want to friendly matches.. she can pass to those ppl interested. (that visit her shop)...

20. blueyfish

blueyfish Regular Member

harlo, the Hongly u mentioned is the actually the "Hongli" i mentioned earlier. shld be same shop.
    There is no English shop name, Oni saw the chinese Shop name at the shop.