County Level (UK)

Discussion in 'UK' started by other, Sep 22, 2003.

1. other

other Regular Member

Student
    How do you become a county player at a particular age level....ie U18/19 (ie before uni)? I have no idea of the procedures, i'm not that great, but i want to know if there are trials or tourneys where i can see what "county players" are really like.

thanks for any info

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This is my 2cents (ahem) to get into your respective county team.

If you want to get in at U18 level as a new player, you can almost forget about it unless you can comprehensively beat everybody in the junior county team.

You have to play in the 'junior county restricted tournament' for your county which is usually played around September. MIss that and you've missed the boat, so to speak.

Another route is to play junior county tournaments (info should be available from Badminton Association of England). BAofE should give some sort of information of details of junior county tournaments, how to get entry forms and the dates.

Since these tournaments are 'Open', juniors from different parts of the country will enter. T'fore, the standard is higher (because these guys are the ones good enough to make the longs trips worthwhile). If you can beat a few of these guys, you are doing well. You then have to shout out which county you are from and people will start asking questions "how come xxx and yyy are so good but don't play in the junior county teams?"

IMHO,
    a) if you are 17 yrs old, you are probably too late for the juniors (unless your county junior team is really weak)
    b) if you are only a little bit better, the county system is very closed door i.e. selectors say, " I know him, don't know you so I pick him!".....

Good luck!!

3. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Seems a bit negative! I don't think all counties work like that. Certainly if you're good enough you may get a chance, but I don't think that involves beating everyone. If there is a fair selector then its not a closed shop, and not everyone is going to turn up to ALL the matches so often someone may ring you up at the last minute.

Also Cambridgeshire aren't traditionally strong so maybe there will be some opportunity.

#3 UkPlayer, Sep 23, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2003
  4. samohtom

samohtom Regular Member

county level

I'm also trying to get into Cambridgeshire county side. Are you playing in their restricted this weekend? Unfortunately Cambridge is both very badly organised (no county training at all!) and some consider it quite cliquey.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Oh dear, did I sound rather cynical:)?

If people come up through the juniors, say U16 and below, I'd think those will have it easier because they are 'more established' than the new guys at the U18 level.

Then again, UKP may have come from a county that has a good setup.

Still, hope is not lost. I did write that you do have a chance to prove yourselves to your local county selectors by entering the county junior open tournaments and doing well in those.;) It's just harder that way if you were not able to play the 'restricted tournament' to prove yourselves in.

6. other

other Regular Member

Student
    i didnt know anything about this weekend

thanks guys for the info

samohtom-who are you?
    i'm sheldon zhang at hills road sixth form college
    U6, college team but i missed the counties last year...dohdoh
    oh well, i guess if i get into cambridge (extremely unlikely) i can cary on badminton here

7. samohtom

samohtom Regular Member

I'm writing up my chemistry PhD at Cambridge at the moment. Hope to stick around the area. Played for Hurst mens II last year, got promoted to premier division last season :)

I'm 24, so I'm hardly a junior anymore, but still keeping very fit and improving! If you're a junior then you might stand just call the people in charge of organising the county side and ask them to take a look at you. I can tell you now the junior side is very weak, so it might be worth a shot.

Have a look on google for Hurst and badminton and the site should show up. Then again, I guess it depends if you're sticking around.

8. other

other Regular Member

Student
    well , badminton practice was good.....won all the competitive doubles games....only 2 cos there were so many people just playing for fun...have to work on my singles game.....maybe get some fitness:)

9. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    A little bit ;) But I think a lot of what you say is valid . But sometimes you get an enthusiastic county selector/organiser who is willing to take fresh blood on. We live in hope :)

10. other

other Regular Member

Student
    regionals sometime this year

hehe...we "should" get the only mens doubles pair for the regionals and that should be a lot of fun....won't try out for the singles..might as well let the two captains fight over it:)

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

do keep us informed of your progress:)

12. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

Most people who have been exposed to county badminton rapidly become cynical, or as I like to call it 'realistic.' The whole idea is outmoded and working against badminton in England. I wish you luck in getting into your county team Sheldon Zhang. My advise is be as visible and as enthusiastic as you can. And don't be above kissing some butt either. Be careful which club you join as well, there are fashionable places to play.

I know nothing about county badminton in Cambridgeshire except what UKP has already said, traditionally they are not that strong, so I would not want to comment upon their setup. The fact that they do not have county practice sessions is not a good omen, placing even more importance on the Restricted. If you are really lucky you might find that some of the more committed players meet up for some training sessions under their own steam, one of those involved might be kind enough to invite you along.

Best of luck!

13. other

other Regular Member

Student
    lol........you should see their website........"last updated jan 2003" or something like that........oh well, i guess there's not much point joining county if i dont get into cambridge uni next year.....lol...notts, london and southhampton arnt in cambs i dont think. hehe....it would be cool to be in the team....(an actual level of ability people would generally comprehend....instead of my current "i'm not "too" bad"), and of course to play with better and better players:) hehe...i hate playing with other people's racquets...both mine are off to be restrung. one is second hand and lowlowlow tension, the other one's strings have little cuts in them where they cross:eek:

14. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

More clarity. County badminton selectors have a love-hate relationship with university students. Generally speaking they hate them, the little bastards show up for three years, win local tournaments, beat their friends in the local leagues, and beat county players, but then leave. Sometimes they love them, but you have to be an excellent player or foreign. If you are going to Uni then compete on the BUSA scene, less arse-aching politics, more alcohol (except Essex county 1st team) and more fun. Play the tournaments, annoy the locals and worry about county badminton once you are done.

15. other

other Regular Member

Student
    hehe.....i'm coming from the cynical point of view as well tho. i'm applying for medicine, and therefore would be nice in the interview to say...."i play for the county"....i'm sure that whatever uni i get into (hopefully) will compete in national....or at least regional badminton so i'll get plenty of chances there. hehe.....also medicine is pretty much 6 years....so they can hate me for a little while longer;) (hopefully) What's BUSA? i could prob look it up @ google.....but i might as well ask

16. tokkalosh

tokkalosh New Member

Student
    Hi, my coach said i am nearly ready to join county, i'm 15 and in Cambridgeshire, i came second in the doubles and singles tournament in the city of Peterborough for my age and the age above, losing to someone in my school in singles, who is an advanced county player and losing to him and his brother(3rd in the country at doubles) in the doubles tournament.

will counties get told about these such tournaments and does anyone know the dates for these restricted tournaments and junior county tournaments

17. tokkalosh

tokkalosh New Member

Student
    I just found out i missed this years restricted tournament it was on my b day :(

But anyway when im 16 will i have to go to the U19 tournament