Ashaway XW1000

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Ch1k0, Sep 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Hi has anyone used this racket yet? Hope to get some feed back on it haha because I just took the plunge and got it from Eric off ebay :D

2. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    can't wait to hear your review about it. i've always wondered about ashaway rackets since all the ones i see that are in the US market are really light!!!

3. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Hahaha I wish I could review well but I'm still not that good a player but I'll do my best :D

4. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

Maklike Tier used to have one of these. I think he sold it off by now but he might be able to provide a short review if he manages to take a break from his racket designing...

Some of his comments about it:

"""Plays similar to Victor BS12. Awesomely fast - it's essentially a woven BS12. If you're a fast swinger, you want this racket!

I've only played two games with it, but I'd describe it as kinda feeling a little like a BS12, but it feels like it carries its weight evenly, whereas I felt the BS12 carried its weight in the T, which felt a little weird to me. I'd rate it Stiff- a very playable stiffness, with great torsional stability. The head shape is kinda like a cross between a Bravesword (near the T) and a slim Meteor everywhere else.

Slightly less stiff than a BS10, close to old spec BS11, maybe a tad stiffer. Lovely fast doubles racket."""

5. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

I have 2 of these rackets. It does feel quite similar to the BS12 and yes it is insanely quick. I had trouble timing the shuttles with mine as I'm used to stiffer, head heavier rackets like the MX80.

I have two grips on both mine and they still feel incredibly balanced. Drives, especially drive defence are wickedly fun with this, I can flick smashes to both sides of the court with no real discomfort. Defence is a breeze and clears are effortless. Smashes didn't feel as hard with the XW1000 to me but again this could be my preference for the head heavy sticks.

Definitely a good racket for doubles!

6. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    It just came! :DDDDDDD

I have it strung with Red ZyMax65 at 25lbs

Length is 670mm

BP is 297mm with the stock grip on.

Sorry got I got no digital scale so I can't give weight but it's supposed to be 88g xD

I own an MX70 and BS09 and what I really feel on taking a few test swings is that it really feels like a combination of both. Like what BlueTornado said. The bottom is like a BS and the rest is like a Meteor. It swings just a lil slower than my BS09 which has BG80 at 24x26lbs and Karakal Red PU Super wrapped and a racket handle band to hold the **** tape that comes with the grip rofl.

The BP is 288mm. Yes the BPs are different but the initial feel I get makes me concur with the opinions that it performs like a BS12.

I did the random useless flex test with my hands haha..They seem to flex about the same :D About to put an RKEP G16 Power Grab on it and see how much change I get it. At the same time I'll get to test the grip out during my game tomorrow :)

7. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Well I don't know why but...This is kinda weird..After adding the G16 my BP changed to 280mm ._____. Maybe the ribbing in the over grip is the cause of the extreme change in BP o.o Anyone else using the G16 ever faced that?

8. yerrorice

yerrorice Regular Member

Isn't the G16 an over grip (pretty thin?) I wouldn't think it would change the BP that much :O

9. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Yeah it's pretty thin that's why I'm really surprised..Just test swinging it I can already feel the difference D: I really suspect it's the ribbing sewn into the center of the grip. It's essentially a rubber piece sewn onto the center of a normal overgrip.

10. yerrorice

yerrorice Regular Member

Woah, is the grip heavy? (I was planning to buy some out of curiosity :D)

11. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Well. Just got back from playing. Had a couple of hours with it :D Tbh I tried the grip for 1 game and I just ripped it off x.x The feel just didn't sit well with me. So I played with the stock grip and with the BP back to 297mm.

The best way to sum this up for regarding this racket is..I LOVE IT 8D

The medium flex in the shaft give my smashes more power. The speed it great for net play. If it was stiffer like a BS 11 it would definitely be better at the net. Clears from end to end are effortless. Barring my low skill and not so good judgement, this racket is a really good all rounder!

I can definitely see this being my go to racket for a long time to come ^^ it really easy on the arm. The accuracy with this racket is good enough for me at my level. Most of my lousily placed shots were all really down to human error. I would definitely recommend this for any begginers all the way up to intermediate. Heck even advanced players can use it if their arms are tired after playing with stiffer rackets for most of their session.