Hi, some footwork and smashing question

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by wishyq, Sep 19, 2012.

1. wishyq

wishyq Regular Member

Footwork

Hi, i wonder what is the good starting standing stance? i am a right-handed person.
    So i am wondering is standing 2 feets together (at the same level) or right leg behind of left leg.
    i saw this video telling me to put 2 feets at the same level. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPZ9j6Tr9g4
    but all my school team player all place their master foot at the front (right for right-handed, left for left handed)

Smash

I wonder what is the position of a forehand smash.I take reference to this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGKOLrzwSAo
    I wonder is it a must to twist your elbow to the front before you contact the shuttle and hit it and follow through the action. I ask this is because i feel the action is very ackward to me and after trying it, i feel my shoulder feel like breaking and my school team player advice me that you must feel right when you execute the smash and if you find it a chore, you are doing it wrong.

2. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

why not u try on court yourself, if you find 2 foots together are more comfortable, then use it that way ; vice-versa. Although i don't always watch guide on youtube, but i do always watch international players play, and there is where i learn :D

P.S : his student doesn't look natural, they look like robots :p(no offence)

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I didn't listen much to that footwork video but when I watched it, the right foot of the coach and the player is slightly forward. Note that they are doing singles court coverage.

As for the smash technique, can you indicate what you mean by twist? Just say which part of the video. i.e. the time.

4. wishyq

wishyq Regular Member

For the smashing video, at 02:49-03:01.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Seems nothing too out of place in the video. If you have a problem doing that movement, perhaps you are not rotating your upper body enough. You might think you are rotating but check using a camera phone. Often we think we can do an action, but sometimes it's not quite the same as the expert players.

6. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there,

An effective stance of readiness is foot preparation on court that can effectively allow a player to:
    - Respond quickly to an opponent shot
    - Return quickly to his optimal base location between each shot.
    By having such agile respond, the chance to produce a winning shot or an opportunity for a winning shot is much higher.

By understanding this, regardless while you're at position of readiness and your foot is at the same square level or one of them is slightly inches in front while on stance or between shots, your stance is your leading foot that follows your racket hand, all of this can be your effective stance of readiness if the outcome of all your hits can produce winning results.

Its only the matter of your adaptation through constant practice to which stance criteria that eventually will suits you effectively and not because your colleague said so.

The video explain well to address your question. If the method of your smash feels awkwardly and you feel like your shoulder is breaking then simply enough that your smashing technique is not correct. The reasons that such condition occur most likely because:

- You're not rotating your upper body to facilitate that enough downward force while making your swings
    - Your follow through from your smash most likely does not end to left side of your body but rather purely perpendicular to the incoming birdie
    - There is no snapping or corking from your wrist at the moment of impact and that downward force comes hugely from how fast your shoulder swings.
    - Your racket foot is not positioned in front of your non racket foot after smashing

It's hard to tell why unless there is a video of you playing but if the outcome of your smash is not satisfactory then you're technique or footwork or both can be the reason.

Do this simple check list before you smash:

Your legs
    Before smashing - racket foot behind your non racket foot
    While smashing - your racket foot switch into front position while your non racket foot moves behind
    After smashing, your racket foot lands in font of your non racket foot

Your body
    Before smashing - waist facing near parallel to the incoming birdie with your shoulder and racket arm situated behind ~ 90 degree perpendicular to your body with your non - racket arm in front
    While smashing - body torso rotate
    After smashing - body completely rotate with shoulder and racket arm swinging forward

Your arm
    Before smashing - racket arm palm facing outwards (pronated)
    During smashing - Shoulder swings, arm extended and supinated (palms turns into facing inwards). Snap wrist at moment of impact
    After smashing - Follow through the swings by ending it at your left side of body

SS

7. wishyq

wishyq Regular Member

hm, i think it is due to not twisting my upper body enough and hence forcing my elbow to twist inward, causing my shoulder strain. Thanks guys for your help :D. Now i need to start to develop my muscle memory as i think i alway not twisting my elbow to obtain a higher contact point.

One fast and stupid question, i should be position sideway (perpendicular to the net) and be left side of the birdie when prepare to execute the smash? (i am a right-handed guy)

#7 wishyq, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  8. patrick2197

patrick2197 Regular Member

blogger
    I think that one of your feet should be in front because it is much slower to move back and forth than it is to move from left to right. I would recommend that you go here for badminton smash tips and badminton smash training videos.

9. patrick2197

patrick2197 Regular Member

blogger
  10. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Yes. Sideways with left shoulder facing the net/ birdie. Preferably, balance your racket arm and shoulder by lifting your non racket arm pointing the birdie.

SS

11. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

Regarding the footwork, the position of the feet depends on the where you expect the shuttle will land. If the shuttle is expected to land sideway of your body, it's better to have both feet level. And if you expect the shuttle to land at the front or rear court, it's better to have the right foot slightly in front for quick turns.

About the smash, i have tried lifting my elbow higher and twisting it before contact. The trajectory is sharp, but it's still lacking power. I'm still figuring out the best way to balance between power and getting good angles for smashing.