Best way to train stamina?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by WoOZY, Sep 19, 2012.

1. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

Currently I am trying to prepare for a tournament in mid November and I would like to do well. One of my key area of deficiency is stamina.

If I play singles at 100% of my ability, I can only sustain myself for about 1 game and I'm completely drained after. If I play at 70%, I can last 7 games but the results are terrible.

I'm fairly large (6'2, 205lbs) and medium build. I definitely play the power game but I'm trying to slow the game down once in a while and use drop shots. But I have very little confidence in my drops, so I rarely use it.

Any pointers for stamina training would be much appreciated.

2. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Running.

My coach said to go for a 5km run everyday (should be 20-30min). And I hate running...so I don't do it. Alternatively, I suggest play singles game at 100% as much as you can. Eventually you will see your stamina improve as well.

My stamina sucked royally when I first started playing singles a year ago (once a week for 1hour...get in about 3-4 games). I can get about 2 games 100% (with my VT-ZF) but my next 2 games are more like 70% (where I switch to my N90II) with maybe 5min break in between.

I've started incorporating jump rope skipping as well. To get a better spring off my crappy split-step and jump consistently and higher.

3. KayakerSteve

KayakerSteve Regular Member

911 Dispatcher
    WoOZY, I am a similar build and these are a few of the things I do. Not only does it improve stamina it will make your court movements more efficient so it is a double gain.

Chinese Fast Feet 1&2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnnUGFtoP5Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFKAnvg_RQE

Black Knight Shadow Trainer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgx1x4G1xfA

The Shadow Trainer has 4 different speed settings, and each speed as a normal or turbo setting. You can adjust the length of the rally and target court areas, front, back, right side, left side or full court. It is also nice because you can do it alone, before or after your partners are there.

Shuttle Pickup Drills:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1ZIiVKwLgA

Shuttle pick up drill can be done a few ways. We usually start with the 2 birds in the back forehand corner, pick one up return to centre then place it in backhand corner, repeat this until the birds have been in all corners and are returned to where they started. You can add side rails and front and back centre too if you want. With this drill we sometimes race against an opponent on the other side of the net doing the same drill. (people work a little harder when they're competing)

All of them more fun than running to improve stamina, in my opinion.

Steve

4. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I hate the shuttle pickup drills. I do it for all 4 corners with 3 shuttles in each corner. I'm always out-of-breath and my legs and quads burn. But it did help improve my lunges...so I can't complain too much.

5. KayakerSteve

911 Dispatcher
    It will improve lungs and lunges. We do it with 2 birds, rest while somebody else does it then go again. 4 times is enough for me.

You are right, skipping is good too.

6. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

Ya I avoid running because I'm afraid it will hurt my knees and ankles. Also, I don't know how to pace myself properly...
    And i might also have ADD... So I've always hated drills :p
    I might try skipping though... Skipping and 100% games more often sounds interesting :D
    Might try to pick up on swimming and elliptical...

7. KayakerSteve

911 Dispatcher
    WoOZY, I don't know how old you are, how long you have been playing or what level you play at, but if you want to improve as a badminton player you NEED to do drills. In a game situation where you are giving 100% you will not be moving properly if you don't have a strong foundation, your footwork will not be good and it will deteriorate as fatique sets in impacting any stamina you have. By doing drills you will create a foundation that will be there, even when you are exhausted.

When you build a house you start with a strong foundation, if you don't it will crumble under stress.

I have been playing badminton for quite a while now, and have probably spent more time doing drills than a lot of players have spent playing. My coaches have made me, and I make my students. There are ways to make it more enjoyable but they NEED to be done.

Drills will create a strong foundation, improve stamina and increase your mental strength.

You might hate drills, but if you do them, and do them properly you will love the results.

Like one of my coaches use to say "Practice does NOT make perfect, practicing perfect makes perfect."

8. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

How much badminton do you play a week and how much of that is singles?

9. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

This post ended the thread. Well said good sir

10. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

Ughhh drills... I have the attention span of a 5 year old...

11. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I'm particularly interested in the mental aspect. Could you please elaborate how drills may increase one's mental strength?

12. KayakerSteve

911 Dispatcher
    When you enter a match against a tough opponent with a game plan, it takes mental strength and commitment to stay within the strategy, to not give up and go with the easier shot or allow them to dictate the pace of the play. This is another thing you excercise when you are doing your drills. It is easy to do them sloppy or improperly, it is easy to skip them or just do some but by being mentally strong you will prevail over the drills, this will also increase your confidence and allow you to prevail over opponents.

Is there anyone that doesn't feel mental strength is required to be successful on the badminton court?

13. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

WoOzy, Heed kayakersteve's words. Drills are tedious, but you will have to learn to endure it sooner or later -- in badminton and in life. There is no good job out there which doesn't involve concentration and some hard repetitive work. Unless, perhaps, if you are a Kardashian. :)

14. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    The two best ways I find for training stamina (although I'm too lazy to do it now) are:

1. Cycling.
    2. Skipping.

With cycling I do about 20miles a go with a few hilly areas so I can train my quads. I mix it with some short full-on sprints for about 1-2mins at a time. The good thing with cycling is it is non-impact unlike running, so it is good for my knees. It is far more enjoyable than running and you can go at your own pace and also have rests while still travelling, downhill.

I sometime go offroad as well which really helps with core muscles and upper body strength (I have a mountain bike).

As with skipping, this really is an excellent way to train stamina. Boxers uses it all the time. I used to do it in my younger years but now I just can't be bothered. But as it doesn't take much space and all you need is a rope, you can pretty much do it anywhere.

Having said all the above, I don't really practice what I preach as I no longer play matches due to injury but I do enjoy cycling from time to time.

15. AirStyles

AirStyles Regular Member

Student