Yonex Carbonex 16

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Amcom, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Amcom

Amcom New Member

Hi All, i'm currently using Carbonex 16 and it surf me more than 15 years+.
    I guess is the time to change these racket due to the frame is not strange enough.

I do not know what brand and racket i should buy to replace these Carbonex 16, any recommandated racket that similiar to this Carbonex 16 ? I'm play "Control" (defense) most of the time.

Please point me some direction.

2. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    If I remember correctly Carbonex 16 is a rather flexible and even balanced racket. If you go for a Yonex racket you should look for an Arcsaber that's not to stiff. Try Arcsaber 7 for example. That is if you want a smooth transition.

I played with carbonex rackets (mostly 20 and 21) for a long time and found that Arcsaber 8DX was really easy to use.

3. Amcom

Amcom New Member

I cant find any Yonex ARCSABER 7 here, but there is a Yonex ARCSABER 10PG.

Is Yonex ARCSABER 10PG similiar to Yonex ARCSABER 7 or 8DX ?

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The Arc 7 will be a lot cheaper. The 10PG is stiffer and more expensive, and the 8DX is the stiffest of the lot.

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I haven't played with a Carbonex 16 before but as I collect these old racquets I have the 9, 11, 14 and 15 which are similar.

The newer isometric racquets will not have the same feel as the Carbonex so do not expect it to give you that nice communicative feel that an oval shaped racquet and boxed section frame would.

As suggested above, the Arc7 would also be an obvious choice, although the 14 and 15 and indeed my 20 and 21 are all slightly more towards the head heavy end of the even balanced spectrum.

Although I personally rate the Arc8DX as one of the best racquets Yonex has made, I don't think it is a natural progression from a Cab16, the shaft would be too stiff. If you want to keep that traditional feel, Yonex do still make Carbonex racquets. Generally speaking as a player improves, they would tend to develop a liking towards stiffer racquets. So if that is true for you, you may want to choose perhaps a new Cab20/35?

However if you want to try some of the new technology around in an isometric frame, I would suggest looking the folllowing.

ArcSaber 7
    ArcSaber 5
    ArcSaber 008

Also, one that may come as a surprise for some would be the ArcSaber Z-Slash. Of all my isometric racquets this is probably the one that I think most closely resembles the feel of a carbonex - probably due to that slim frame design thats more akin to an oval shape. Whilst it does have a stiff shaft, it is also a little longer and thinner, which allows it to flex more - again mimicking that of a carbonex, say an original Cab21 which is very "whippy".

Hope that helps. :)

6. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i agree, go with a more current Carbonex will suit you best. on a side note, i was gonna ask if he's willing to sell his cab16 but he's in KL and i'm afraid it'll break in transit from KL to US.

7. dinitial

dinitial Regular Member

In Asia Carbonex 20. 21, 35, 50 should be available in shops. The Cab 20 and 35 are even-balanced.

If you want to try something new, the Arcsaber 7 and Voltric 7/70 would be a good choice.

8. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Try Carbonex 8000Ti - I will say that will be a good replacement to Cab16 and cost only RM119.90 ... Cab20 cost RM409.90 ... so don't forget to do the maths !! :rolleyes:

You can find Cab8000Ti at Sports Direct Subang Jaya or 1-Utama (Jusco)

PS: You may noticed from my posts that I have a habit for seeking out GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY Yonex and Victors minus the "premium" hype prices :D

I believe that you should be in possession of a GOOD racquet for badminton BUT more importantly will be to possess GREAT TECHNIQUES !!

#8 maxout, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  9. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

@maxout - do you have feedback about cab 8000ti. I'm interested in buying one for the famed "solid feel" and classic oval head. :D

10. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

easy answer. cab35. It is available and lighter than cab16. stiff and great control. lacks power but he say he need control.

11. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    it's great that yonex and many badminton players still thinks it's worth it to have the Carbonex line continue with new products in the market worldwide. unfortunately for me in the USA, the only new Cabs are 35 ad 50. most of the ones mentioned in this thread alone aren't available in the market, or we have to pay a premium for people to bring them over to sell.

the cheapest full graphite Cab is the 8600ti. i have 4 of them for i used them in tournaments once upon a time.

on another note, i was wondering if there will ever be an isometric head racket that could provide the same feel as an oval head racket, that compact solid feel.......anyone???

12. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Cab8000Ti (Made in Taiwan) - I love it ... play just as great and solidly as its more "expensive" Made in Japan cousins. Personally, I think you are paying a hefty premium for Made in Japn label, I normally go for the highest and best that Yonex has for "Made in Taiwan" and they are usually aimed for intermediate market level.

13. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

That's great feedback. Earlier I was torn between Arc or Cab, now torn between which Cab to buy (6 Light, 8800 Power, 8000Ti). :D All Cab(s) should have the same feel you reckon?

Sorry if I'm kind of hijacking this thread.

14. maxout

maxout Regular Member

The best advice I can give is for you to get a feel and hold of ALL 3 Cabs and choose the one you like best.

Personally, I like the Cab8000Ti the most, second only after the venerable and iconic Cab20 !! :D And Cab20 cost 3X more ... :eek:

15. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

The best option I had was to do some swing tests of the rackets, and based on the swings I bought the CAB 8800 Power today.

In the evening I had a session of playing with it, and my initial feel is that true to its name the box frame delivers solid feeling shots (if you hit the sweet spot), which brings me to the fact that myself being used to Isometric head, percentage of sweet-spot hits are lesser. This is one of the areas I wanted to improve on, and the CABs should help me achieve it. :eek:

Specs (in case anyone else is searching the forums like crazy): :D
    Model: Carbonex 8800 Power
    Weight: 3U
    Grip: G4
    Flex: may be mid-flex (didn't feel too flexy)
    Balance: Head heavy

Well these are the initial impressions. Will try to post an update a week or two playing with it.

16. Amcom

Amcom New Member

Thank to all the feedback....really apperciated to help me choose the replacement racket.
    i will test to hold cab 8000 Ti first,i will test the nanospeed 4500 too. arc 7 or arc8dx is too expensive too me.

17. Amcom

Amcom New Member

Thanks all, finally I settled down with Apacs Tantrum 200.