Racket Suggestion - Intermediate Player!

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by minigem, Sep 21, 2012.

1. minigem

minigem Regular Member

Internet Marketer
    Hey guys,

I've been playing badminton for almost 6 months and consider myself as intermediate player. I've been using Babolat F2G Essential but it seems like it's not already suited on my play style. I want to buy new racket so I need some recommendations.

I always play doubles. I always do clear, net, drive shots and occasionally smash. I don't still have much power and speed so I'm 60% defensive and 40% offensive.

What racket do you think will fit on my play style? I prefer Yonex and my budget is $150 - $250.

Thanks in advance :)

2. apachesun

apachesun Regular Member

Student
    arc saber Z slash, or nanoray 800

3. minigem

minigem Regular Member

Internet Marketer
    ArcSaber Z Slash is for offensive/aggressive play style. Nanoray 800 seems to be okay since it's for double player. But as I have read the features of the racket, it looks like it's for fast players.

Any more suggestions guys? Thanks!

4. nooooooooooo

nooooooooooo Regular Member

nanoray 700 RP - stiff racket
    or
    nanoray 700 FX - flexible racket

5. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Victor Bravesword 11

6. minigem

minigem Regular Member

Internet Marketer
    Seems like Nanoray 700 FX is a good choice. Any more suggestions?

7. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    as an intermediate player but only have been playing for 6 months, you certainly learn quick. however, i would recommend more drills to improve the power and speed you need. but if you don't like the racket that you're using, most probably you won't want to play badminton with it. i would recommend you an even balance racket first because you're still learning a lot (i'm assuming) about your game. because you occasionally smash, and always do clears, nets and drives, an even balance racket or a head light racket would be more suitable. but remember, power and speed do not come from the racket itself, but from your arm. so you can buy whatever racket we might suggest, but please focus MORE on your training, footwork and hitting drills.

arcsaber and muscle power series are even balance
    nanospeed and nanoray series are head light balance

8. minigem

minigem Regular Member

Internet Marketer
    Thank you for your insights. Actually I started playing badminton 5 years ago but I stopped and started playing again 6 months ago. I'm now serious on this sport and play twice a week. I always improve my power and speed but it seems that my racket is not helping. Even if I hit a shuttle with my full power, I don't feel that it has a power. So I think changing a racket to improve my power and speed will be better.

I think I need a control racket with some power and speed features so I can do net, clear, drive shots properly and do some attacking to improve my arm. Do you think Nanoray 700 FX will be good for me?

9. Gunnersfan

Gunnersfan Regular Member

Student
    imo, control is more to a person's skills and techniques....
    it's how you hit the shuttle how you control the power of the hit...
    any racket would do as long you train your skills and techniques...
    i still can play control game with VT70, given it is a head heavy racket..
    if you want racket suggestion, VT70 and Arcsaber 7 maybe perfect according to your wants, a bit head heavy which gives power but still maneuverable....
    but like gundamzaku said, you can buy whatever racket we might suggest, but please focus MORE on your training, footwork and hitting drills.
    it's worth more than an expensive racket....

#9 Gunnersfan, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  10. minigem

minigem Regular Member

Internet Marketer
    Okay. Now I understand. I need to practice more first, develop my skills and abilities. I'm still in the process of learning so I might change my play style as I learn more.

I'll just buy a stiff and even balance racket. I think this will do good for my training :) Anyone can suggest a good stiff and even balance racket?

11. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Yonex Carbonex 20 ... you cannot go wrong with this one ;)!!

It is EVEN and BALANCED in EVERYTHING and IN EVERY WAY except on the pocket (cost about USD120-)

#11 maxout, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  12. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Yonex Arcsaber 8DXVictor SW35

13. minigem

minigem Regular Member

Internet Marketer
    Money is not a problem. So I'll check your recommendations :D

14. gundamzaku

working professional
    i think the other 700, the repulsion one will be better for you. tho while the racket is still very light, it has a more flexible shaft that allows for more power. i have both 700 and that's the only different i could notice.

15. gundamzaku

working professional
    i think you also want to think about what kinda of shots you're more likely to hit and also shots you enjoy placing the most. ok, granted in a serious game you need all the variations which will put you in the best situation to win. but if you're also playing for fun a lot of times, very often you will have a chance to choose your favorite or better shots. so if enjoy a reaction game like doubles and fast drive exchanges, you might want a nanoray or nanospeed. headlight will allow you to react a bit quicker. if you love to smash from the rear court and let your partner take care of the front, then armortec or voltric will be a better racket. now if you have a more complete game and does a bit of each different kinds of shot, then maybe arcsaber is the way to go. this is just my opinion and a very very general guide to the different characteristics of rackets.

on a pro level i've seen them use a head light racket and can still execute a smash shot with power. so just demo a bunch of racket, and feel it out. pay attention to how feels in your hand.

16. Smashing4life

Smashing4life Regular Member

Arcsaber 10 is a great example of a stiff even balanced racket. It's my fave and great in every aspect of the game.

17. slowmotion

slowmotion Regular Member

Student
    Victor Bravesword 11 or Kason F9, depending on which area you want to have an additional boost. From your description, i would recommend Bravesword 11 though :)