BG65TI to VS850

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by zerosaber, Sep 22, 2012.

1. zerosaber

zerosaber Regular Member

Hi everyoneee

I currently use bg65TI at 30lbs and was wondering how vs850 compares to bg65TI.

I know people have said both strings lose tension pretty fast. Do you guys thing that bg65ti loses tension faster? Or Vs850. Im pretty used to the tension loss of bg65ti so i don't really mind if vs850 loses tension at the same rate, as long as the tension doesn't feel lower than the total loss of BG65TI.

Reason for wanting to try the VS850 was because I heard it has a hard feel, but not sure how hard it is compared to BG65TI and BG80. And also I heard it was a grippy string.

Really like using bg65ti but was hoping for a strong with a hard feeling and grippy feel. I have used Bg80 but was hoping to try new strings.

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

65Ti is quite "metallic" feeling, especially at high tension, but take it from me: VS850 is King Iron. The best-feeling string I have ever tried, better even than BG80. It's got some grip, certainly, but it not as much as BG80 by any means.

Tension loss... I've found that hand-stretching VS850 really improves matters - I've got two identical rackets, one with BG80 and one with VS850, and they seem to be loosening at exactly the same rate. Without prestretch, VS850 is terrible at holding tension, worse than 65Ti.

3. zerosaber

zerosaber Regular Member

thanks Mark! would it be good to use ECP instead? i would prestretch by hand but i dont have any experience with it and hence dont want to make the string into something less than ideal or uneven..

4. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    Just out of curiosity, did you try comparing manual prestretching and the prestretching with the WISE?

Because when I compare VS850 with BG80 strung on the same racquet model, VS850 seems to lose more tension

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

ZS, there is a thread on pre-stretching in the "Equipment and Techniques" forum. It is, IME, especially important with VS850.

So far I have found no difference in tension-holding between manual and ECP pre-stretch - once the slack is pulled out, it seems the string is as tension-friendly as it's ever going to get. There is also the danger of going past the string's "creep point" if ECP pre-stretch is used.

6. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Mark, how would you rate BG65Ti against NBG99?

I've asked this question before on another thread but still haven't got an answer.

I saw your review on NBG99 but now I know you've tried BG65Ti before I'd be interested to know your thoughts on comparing the two strings.

BG65Ti is one of my favourite strings, yes tension loss is there but it has very easy to tap power which is what I like and also it does have good control and feel despite being a thick string.

I'm thinking if putting NBG99 on either my Arc 10, ZS or 8DX to see what its like but would like to see others view on it first before cutting perfectly good strings.

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

N99 has far, far better control; I've always found 65Ti very slippery (and being a control player, that makes it useless to me). N99 can't match 65Ti for maximum power, though.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

@Mark:

re vs850 pre stretch by hand, how much extra length are you getting after its done? I'm getting around 7-8 inches extra, just wondering if I'm pulling hard enough. Tks.

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

That sounds about right - it gives the most up to slack I've ever seen!

You really need to either be a stringer or have access to a very cheap stringer if you're going to use this stuff.

#9 Mark A, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  10. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    Mark A, thank you for all the useful info on VS850. i second what you said. prestretch is very very very important, and it's a very stiff string with lots of grip!!!

11. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    What Prestretch% do you put on the wise?
    And if its 20%, do you lower your tension on the few top crosses even more than if prestretch was off?

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I play low-30's, so I was only confident with +10%. With my tension I do the top cross 4 lb lower, then add 1 lb per cross until I reach the right tension (usually at the lowest shared hole at the top).

13. bk_ngo

bk_ngo Regular Member

Senior Manager
    I have just started to use VS-850 @28lbs with 5% pre-stretch on my ArcSaber 8DX, is this setup good enough for maintain my tension over 27lbs over the time till it dies.

14. asdsadas2008

asdsadas2008 Regular Member

Student
    Tbh i don't really know whether VS850 really lost tension as much as people say but based on my personal experience it will loss around 1ibs of tension after some time and stays on that level for quite a while. Last time i strung my racket with VS850 was around 2 months ago at 25 ibs, no prestretch. Now the tension is around 24ibs and still strong, i play 2 sessions a week