Feeling strong

Discussion in 'Jonas Rasmussen Forum' started by Cheung, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Jonas,

Poul-Erik mentioned that going up to the 1996 Olympics, he felt very strong in training.

I have heard of elite atheletes having periods of feeling 'strong', and periods when they feel not quite on top of their game.

Considering that you and Lars had not won major doubles tournaments together before the WC, I'd like to know how you felt on your physical condition and playing condition before the start of the WC.

Did you feel 'strong' before the tournament during training sessions? How about your 'feel' for the shuttle during training sessions? Did you feel any better than previous stages in your professional career?

I'm guessing you were anticipating reaching the semi-finals of the WC - how were you rating your chances before, and as, the tournament progressed?

Cheung

2. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    Up to WC

Hi Cheung!!

Lars and I didn´t have the "strong" feeling you are talking about up to the WC.

We had the opposite feeling. To say it like it was: We played like ****!!

We couldn´t get our gameplan to work in practise matches and we didn´t seem to work very well together.

When we got to Birmingham we didn´t have many expectations about winning the title. Therefore, with every win we gained in confidence and in the end we didn´t think we could lose.

I think this explains it pretty much together win a little bit of luck, but I think all World Champions need a little bit of luck to win!!!

Jonas

3. Rohly

Rohly Regular Member

At least you made it work when it was most needed!