User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 52
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nr Southampton
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Stretching after training

    Just curious to find out if people tend to stretch after games or training sessions. If so what stretches and do you find it helps prevent stiffening up the next day?

    Stretching is one of those things I keep meaning to do after playing but rarely bother with...

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    647
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I do it after every training session, stretching helps your muscles to relax. I always feel like newborn after I'm finished stretching

    This video was really helpful to see what stretches you should do
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K4kH...ure=plpp_video

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nr Southampton
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Really good video - thanks for that. Will need to give them a try this week.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Frankford, Ontario
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hmmm. Stretching may make you feel better, but there is absolutely no accredited research which shows that it is beneficial in reducing post-exercise pain or stiffness, or in any way improves performance. In fact, there is a substantial body of research which shows that stretching before exercise is actually counter-productive.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    homeland
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruffle View Post
    Hmmm. Stretching may make you feel better, but there is absolutely no accredited research which shows that it is beneficial in reducing post-exercise pain or stiffness, or in any way improves performance. In fact, there is a substantial body of research which shows that stretching before exercise is actually counter-productive.
    Please do some more research on this topic, both your answers are not the full truth

    However this topic is about stretching after training. In fact you should not do stretching right after very hard excercises (giving new impulses/variation in training/max resistance and intensity training), when your muscles are already damaged. Other muscle groups that are not involved can be stretched as it will/may improve several aspects.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Frankford, Ontario
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 96382 View Post
    Please do some more research on this topic, both your answers are not the full truth
    I didn't do the research - I merely did a review of research literature. I won't go into all the evidence I found, but here is one snippet, the conclusions from a review of a set of research papers, by Herbert and de Noronha called "Stretching to prevent or reduce muscle soreness after exercise" and published by Wiley in 2008:

    "The effects of stretching reported in individual studies were very small and there was a high degree of consistency of results across studies. The pooled estimate showed that pre-exercise stretching reduced soreness one day after exercise by, on average, 0.5 points on a 100-point scale (95% CI -11.3 to 10.3; 3 studies). Post-exercise stretching reduced soreness one day after exercise by, on average, 1.0 points on a 100-point scale (95% CI -6.9 to 4.8; 4 studies). Similar effects were evident between half a day and three days after exercise.

    Authors’ conclusions

    The evidence derived from mainly laboratory-based studies of stretching indicate that muscle stretching does not reduce delayed-onset muscle soreness in young healthy adults.
    "

    We can argue that the samples were small, and the authors acknowledged that, but I've found other independent publications which come to the same conclusion.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    homeland
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I agree with you about the muscle soreness. Stretching before and after excercises can have different effects, both positive and negative. It really depends much on the person and kind of excercises and stretching program. I think there are enough studies available on the internet.

    And if it makes you feel better, why does that not mean that it can improve your performance?
    It is really hard to make general conclusions here.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Frankford, Ontario
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 96382 View Post
    I agree with you about the muscle soreness. Stretching before and after excercises can have different effects, both positive and negative. It really depends much on the person and kind of excercises and stretching program. I think there are enough studies available on the internet.

    And if it makes you feel better, why does that not mean that it can improve your performance?
    It is really hard to make general conclusions here.
    It certainly is. The problem with measuring performance improvement is that it is very difficult to do subjectively. So people tend to fall back on objectivity, like "feeling better will make you play better" and other mantras. All I can do about that is to ask two questions to try to get evidence to support that kind of statement: where is the supporting research, and is there any vested interest in that research?

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Victor has some nice stretching articles on its site:

    Concept:
    http://www.victorsport.com/column-co...9WFcLiwf&r=145

    Lower body static stretching:
    http://www.victorsport.com/column-co...7LDRJ1Gd&r=499

    Upper body static stretching:
    http://www.victorsport.com/column-co...qCvHWEie&r=188

    Dynamic stretching:
    http://www.victorsport.com/column-co...t6KhwI1t&r=768

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    homeland
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruffle View Post
    It certainly is. The problem with measuring performance improvement is that it is very difficult to do subjectively. So people tend to fall back on objectivity, like "feeling better will make you play better" and other mantras. All I can do about that is to ask two questions to try to get evidence to support that kind of statement: where is the supporting research, and is there any vested interest in that research?
    And the problem there is that the performance improvement itself is very subjectively dependend. Many people adjust in different ways to certain training/stretching programs. That is probably the reason why sports science just isnt that far here.

  11. #11
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Stretch a lot. Before, after, during. Keep the muscles loose. It allows you to make a quick jump or land hard without to much wear and tear.

  12. #12
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You should do some stretching before and after playing.It will relax your body. It works on me.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smashikon, Driveland
    Posts
    689
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    scientific proof on stretching is mediocre...
    noone really knows if stretching is good, if you better stretch passively or actively.
    the only thing that is a bit more "proven" is that extensice passive stretching before sports may be counterproductive. it lowers the muscle tone and therefore your ability to jump and run explosively. you can compare it maybe to a lose rubber band that has too little responsiveness (of course your muscles recover, but that takes some time, so excessive stretching before a game is probably no good idea...).

    stretching after sports should be done with caution, too. your muscles are already "under-fire", so it's probably good not to stretch very excessively and hard. i personally have the feeling that some LIGHT stretching helps me.

    if you want to do something for your flexibility, it's probably better to do some extra session with a good stretching programme and not to incorporate excessive stretching in your badminton sessions.

    but yet again: scientific proof is very vague...

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ipoh
    Posts
    1,164
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    As our body ages, more concern is emphasize on the durability of one's body to entertain the explosiveness of this sport. Also you might rather want to concentrate on retaining, if not improving, the durability of your body to handle the stress on your muscles and bones. In short, unless you want to be a champion for a day and no more, do light stretching. ( light or intense is quite personal to every individual). So unless the game you are playing involves the hand of your girl that you are betting, or your Ferrari that you are risking, don't go overboard without stretching or warm up.

    Preparation before and after a game

    ** Warm up and do stretching before a game. If you get injured or have cramps often, you can say goodbye to badminton faster than you think.
    ** Warm down after a game too. This is akin to divers going into depressurization chamber after a deep dive. If divers surfaced immediate after a deep dive, they will die of water in the lungs. If you don’t warm down after a game, your body will deteriorate and muscle cells will die. This is equivalent to being champion for a day, and retirement soon after. J
    ** No cold water drinks after a game. This is like pouring cold water on your car engine when it’s sizzling hot leading to engine failure. Drink warm water. Then you can enjoy cold drinks after, but not at least after 30mins.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KL, Malaysia
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pakito View Post
    As our body ages, more concern is emphasize on the durability of one's body to entertain the explosiveness of this sport. Also you might rather want to concentrate on retaining, if not improving, the durability of your body to handle the stress on your muscles and bones. In short, unless you want to be a champion for a day and no more, do light stretching. ( light or intense is quite personal to every individual). So unless the game you are playing involves the hand of your girl that you are betting, or your Ferrari that you are risking, don't go overboard without stretching or warm up.

    Preparation before and after a game

    ** Warm up and do stretching before a game. If you get injured or have cramps often, you can say goodbye to badminton faster than you think.
    ** Warm down after a game too. This is akin to divers going into depressurization chamber after a deep dive. If divers surfaced immediate after a deep dive, they will die of water in the lungs. If you don’t warm down after a game, your body will deteriorate and muscle cells will die. This is equivalent to being champion for a day, and retirement soon after. J
    ** No cold water drinks after a game. This is like pouring cold water on your car engine when it’s sizzling hot leading to engine failure. Drink warm water. Then you can enjoy cold drinks after, but not at least after 30mins.
    I don't agree with your cold water theory.
    After ingested, it will still be in the stomach and would have heated up fast to reach body temperature. It is like pouring water into the water container in the car and not the engine.
    Last edited by rogerv2; 02-21-2013 at 02:46 AM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ipoh
    Posts
    1,164
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rogerv2 View Post
    I don't agree with your cold water theory.
    After ingested, it will still be in the stomach and would have heated up fast to reach body temperature. It is like pouring water into the water container in the car and not the engine.
    Taking into consideration that our bodies are not made up of metal and we do not run at speeds over 200km/h, the water container in the car does actually supply the same water to the engine (if you are talking about the radiator spare tank). More often than not, we pour just water that is slightly cold or warm into the radiator or tank, and not ice water, which we drink when we are hot. So in the same way, the water we drink does circulate around to the rest of the blood stream and does not stay in the stomach forever. You may not think it does anything to harm your body, but try doing this from young till old. when you reach 40s and 50s then you will experience the setbacks from feeding your body cold water when you running at extremely high temperature after a game. Maybe some of the older generation can share on this topic. Well I'm saying that I'm still very young . While you may think that our body temperature when hot will have heated up the icy cold water which we drink, take heed that heat travels from hot to cold, not vice versa. So in a way, you body loses heat real fast if we consume like one huge glass of cold icy water. That being said, you don't see professional players drinking water from a ice container at the 11 point stage. Even LD use it to say that the cold water caused stomach upset so much that he couldn't compete.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KL, Malaysia
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pakito View Post
    Taking into consideration that our bodies are not made up of metal and we do not run at speeds over 200km/h, the water container in the car does actually supply the same water to the engine (if you are talking about the radiator spare tank). More often than not, we pour just water that is slightly cold or warm into the radiator or tank, and not ice water, which we drink when we are hot. So in the same way, the water we drink does circulate around to the rest of the blood stream and does not stay in the stomach forever. You may not think it does anything to harm your body, but try doing this from young till old. when you reach 40s and 50s then you will experience the setbacks from feeding your body cold water when you running at extremely high temperature after a game. Maybe some of the older generation can share on this topic. Well I'm saying that I'm still very young . While you may think that our body temperature when hot will have heated up the icy cold water which we drink, take heed that heat travels from hot to cold, not vice versa. So in a way, you body loses heat real fast if we consume like one huge glass of cold icy water. That being said, you don't see professional players drinking water from a ice container at the 11 point stage. Even LD use it to say that the cold water caused stomach upset so much that he couldn't compete.
    Lets face it, you dont have any proof to justify your statements. It is all hearsay and assumptions.
    Just because some players dont drink cold water does not mean the opposite is a fact.
    They could be blindly following some folklore stories they heard.
    I have relatives who ban their children from drinking cold water or anything cold because it will harm their health.

    I had a very good laugh seeing you use LD to illustrate your point with cold water.
    Everyone who is not a LD fanboy knows that was just a smokescreen to let CJ win.
    Last edited by rogerv2; 02-21-2013 at 10:12 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •