Defensive shots (forehand/backhand) - mostly backcourt Recommendation

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jickman, Sep 24, 2012.

1. jickman

jickman Regular Member

student
    So i have some questions i want to ask the community

I have problems of pulling off defensive shots when i'm near the net, and my opponent puts it on the backcourt. Sometimes i end up pulling it for the forehand defensive shot, but not always. What recommendation can you give me ( or video links) that can direct me to the proper technique. I find it a very weak point in my game and would love to train and learn what works the best.

Thanks

2. Pizza Fish

Pizza Fish Regular Member

from what you're saying, you mean you have difficultly lifting from the front court to your opponent's back court, correct?

the most important things, in my opinion, you need to check for:

do you have the proper grip? the grip is important as it dictates the way your arm must come in to hit the proper shot.

do you have good footwork? footwork is essential to every part of badminton. you need to be able to come in to the net quickly so you have time to hit the correct way. even if you hit it correctly but are late to the bird every time, you will not hit the way you want it to go.

try to check if these two things are correct or need improving first by comparing to online videos or perhaps asking a coach for help (best option). posting a video of how you hit it would make it easier for forum members to critique your technique.

3. jickman

jickman Regular Member

student
    Hmmm what i meant is if i was close to the net, and my opponent hits it at my backcourt:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAKZnmLUbK8 Like at the beginning when the guy in the yellow had to stretch and did a cross court forehand shot. It's relatively a shot when the bird is between your shoulder and waist.
    Thats what i meant in my case, for example when my opponent its a net shot, and i hit back and he puts it all the way at the backcourt while im still near the mid or front court.

4. Pizza Fish

Pizza Fish Regular Member

oh i understand now.

still, the same principles i outlined earlier apply to every shot in badminton.

in fact, i believe the footwork element is even more crucial to this shot. to hit this shot, you would need to have even faster footwork to get to the shuttle in time. its almost like a drive when hit, except you cannot really take it in front of you. you would have to get back to hit it almost next to your body which is not easy to do. if you get back quickly enough, you should be able to execute the shot with relative ease.

ideally, you would try to hit it earlier when the shuttle is higher in the air to give yourself a better chance to hit any shot you need to hit. if you don't even have time to hit it from shoulder height, you could also take it lower to the ground. by the time the bird is lower, it would slow down more and give you an extra half second to hit a shot from the waist (although this is even harder).

basically, this all boils down to footwork, how well you recovered from the net shot just before having to run for this one, then how well you run to get this one back. as long as the way you hit it is good, then focusing on footwork would bring the greatest improvement to your game, far more than just being able to return a shot like this.

5. AirStyles

AirStyles Regular Member

Student
    oh....

Well. The very first thing you actually need is footwork. With good footwork, those situation will be more rare.

Another is to train your "Wrist clear". If you can clear a badminton shot with only small wrist movement, then you can easily hit it up from that position. (Though I call it a wrist clear, you don't actually only use your wrist, you actually need to use your whole body to actually generate the power. ) Like all shots in badminton, it's more technique than strength. It won't be hard once you learn how to generate the power through right technique.

In short...

Fundamentals. You're lacking in this area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hK9dJU_33o

Lee Chong Wei at 00:28. That's what you're trying to do if you're on the defensive.
    See how he only use his wrist? I can tell you that he actually generated most, if not, all of power from his core.

#5 AirStyles, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  6. AirStyles

AirStyles Regular Member

Student
  7. phili

phili Regular Member

It might also be you base position. You need to adjust it depending how good your drop/net shot was, e.g. if you didn't pressure your opponent much there is no need to move your base forward.

8. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

agree plus getting caught out by deceptive shots.

Grips important forehand grip and panhandle grip for late backhands that have gone behind me. I find the backhand ones hard my returns always end up being slow drops which often get punished with tight nets. Need to drive it more but find it hard