Stiff, 4U, even balanced racket?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by mkinhu, Sep 24, 2012.

1. mkinhu

mkinhu Regular Member

Hi, I'm an beginner - intermediate player looking to buy a new racket. I mostly play doubles (occasional singles), and I like controlled drops, drives, net play, and of course some smashing.

Thoughts on the artery tec ti 99 4U? Would it be too stiff? Enough power? I'm currently using a low end wilson (too head heavy for me - its hurting my wrists). Open to suggestions.... Budget around US $100-150. Light (4U), stiff (or mid-flex), even balance (maybe head light?).

2. 96382

96382 Regular Member

If you have to deal with wrist injuries, wait til they are gone. Then do some 1-2 months regulary 4 times the week 5-10min some simple wristtraining, for example swinging your racquet at high pace back and forth, starting slowly.
    This is probably also caused if your racquet is stiffer than you are used to. Be sure to have proper technique and after little wrist training (swinging the raqcuet at shoulder height will train your shoulder as well) you wont have problems.

Then you go and buy whatever you like. To be honest i know some pretty good players playing with some 60$ racquets. Try some out, buy one, focus on proper stringing and technique.

3. mkinhu

mkinhu Regular Member

Thanks for the tip. I don't think its an injury; I played today and there was a little pain in the beginning but it went away.
    Currently I'm playing with wilson air hammer stretch 90, which is medium-flexible. Do you think it will be hard to adjust to the victor artery tec, which is super stiff?

4. 96382

96382 Regular Member

For stiffer racquets and/or higher string tensions you will need good developed wrist and shoulder muscles (and technique of course) if you are going to play any serious games.

It depends on you whether you can adapt a new racquet easily. In my experience it is easier to do the "upgrade" (stiffer) than changing to flexier racquets again.

5. radmaszeal

radmaszeal Regular Member

engineer
    artery tec ti99 is more head heavy in 3U, not sure bout 4U though. just a head's up.

6. bobbinbette

bobbinbette Regular Member

I have an artery tec ti99 in 4U and that is my most trustworthy racket.

If you are looking for a stiff and even balance racket, then I would definitely recommend this.

It may be getting a little old now, but I still prefer this racket to just about any racket I have ever tried.

It is lacking a little bit in the power department compared to the z-force or other super head heavy rackets, but it swings much more quickly and smashes can still provide quite a punch provided that you have good form.

7. bobbinbette

One last thing I forgot to mention.
    The BP on my at ti99 is around 298-300mm, but it swings and feels more even balance than other rackets in that range.

8. AZbadman

AZbadman Regular Member

Sales and Marketing
    Get a z slash or sw 37

9. mkinhu

mkinhu Regular Member

Thanks bobbinbette. Thats good to know. Just wondering... which strings are you using? tension? I just ordered my racket (woohoo!) with BG 80 at 21 lbs. I'm thinking of calling them and increasing it to maybe 24 lbs.

10. mkinhu

mkinhu Regular Member

Thanks AZbadman. Those are a bit out of my price range though.

11. 96382

96382 Regular Member

First of all use the tension you are used to. Then add ~1lbs more each time it is restrung til you cant handle it, then go one step back. Your feeling will change over time anyway.

Some may point out that stiffer racquets and certain strings need a specific lowest tension to play out their design/full potential. But youll have to be able to handle it of course. Graduate step by step.

12. bobbinbette

I completely agree with 96382.

I play with mine strung with zm65 at 26 x 29lbs and it feels fantastic to me.

I can't recommend this tension for everyone. Especially if you're used to 21lbs or even 24 lbs.

Go up in tension slowly and make sure you can handle whatever tension you choose.

13. mkinhu

mkinhu Regular Member

My last stringing was a few months ago with bg 65 at 23lbs. That felt fine. I'll be getting my new racket strung with bg 80 at 24 lbs next week. But I've heard bg 80 feels much tighter than bg 65, so this might be a bigger jump than I'm expecting. Plus bg 65 probably lost some tension over the past few months. I think I will be fine though. Hopefully I can adjust to the new tension AND new racket.

14. cooc67

cooc67 Regular Member

Get a NR800, The TOP !

15. mkinhu

mkinhu Regular Member

Thats the newest nanoray right? I've heard its pretty awesome! Have you used it? Its way out of my price range though.

16. cooc67

cooc67 Regular Member

The new NanoRay is very cool ! The 800 is very good for the double :)

17. isaac225

isaac225 Regular Member

student
    artery tec ti99 quite stiff and head heavy..4U si ok or mayb u can give a try on brave sword series..

18. visor

visor Regular Member

A Trinity 2 or Precision Pro around 85g would be right for you.

Also if you're used to bg65 23lbs (which is probably 20lb by now), then you'd better reconsider bg80 at 24lbs. I'd even suggest 22lbs to start.

19. mkinhu

mkinhu Regular Member

Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about it now. The racket is on its way and its been strung with bg 80 at 24lbs. We'll see how it goes, and if necessary I will just get it restrung. Btw, can you use the same string for restringing?

20. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    For your budget I recommend the 4u Spira22.