forehand vs backhand serve?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Jet91, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Jet91

Jet91 New Member

i mostly play doubles and was wondering about this. i see a lot of people using a backhand serve and often they serve short, they try too hard for a low serve and their shot hits the net and they struggle to flick serve as well.a forehand serve seems much more reliable, especially in the low level play that i am playing right now. a forehand serve makes it dead easy to flick as well. i just don't get why everyone uses a backhand serve in doubles, especially in beginner level. is it just copying the pros or do people actually find they get more control?i guess in the end it's what works best for you and if a backhand serve works best then by all means. however, i'm just curious on people's thoughts.

2. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I use the backhand serve cuz my forehand serve sucks.

Chirag Deshpande likes this.
  3. utvctang

utvctang Regular Member

Student
    In doubles i prefer backhand, just feels better. I only use forehand in singles for the clear serve (or w/e it's called)

4. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    it's a quicker swing for a backhand serve, where if someone uses a forehand serve it requires a longer swing, not to mention you can't serve in front of you with a forehand serve, so you have to position yourself in such a way that you occupy more room for a forehand serve. especially for doubles you want a serve that is compact and quick. besides, it doesn't require that much to flick serve since on service for doubles is the first back line, not the second. because of the compactness of the serve it gives you more control. because of the quickness of a doubles game, it is more precise to serve as close to the net as you can to prevent an attack from your opponent right away, having a backhand flick serve controlled mainly by your thumb will give you that accuracy.

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    because what you witness is at the low level, that's why they serve short or into the net. it's got nothing to do with the type of serve itself.

6. 96382

96382 Regular Member

there are several reasons to only use the backhand serve in doubles (in singles there is no real advantage). However, if you are content with your forehand serve and you dont think it causes any disadvantage in your early game, then it is fine for that level. With more experience you may change, but thatis no problem at all.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

The problem is not the type of serve but the level of play that you're in. ;)

As you and your opponent's level improve then you will find that you have no choice but to serve backhand. ;)

8. yerrorice

yerrorice Regular Member

More people use the backhand serve rather than the forehand because there is less distance between the birdie and the racket meaning there is less chance for error.

bsserve.gif VS fsserve.gif

9. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

op makes a good point for BEGIINERS.

backhand serves definitely have advantages at an advanced level, no doubt about that.
    but i also think that forehand serves are easier to learn and control for beginners.

that having said, a lot of beginners just mimick the technique of advanced players, so they do backhand serves as well...

10. 96382

96382 Regular Member

Despite that, there are still players in international senior events (former world tour players) who use the forehand serve and get away with it.
    But in modern Badminton it gets more and more replaced. Forehand serve is mainly used in womans singles nowadays.

11. kampungboy

kampungboy Regular Member

Sales
    Can anyone here comment if one of the advantages (in singles game) of backhand serve (racket leg in front) is the server instantly in ready position once he/she served compared to forehand serve (racket leg behind)? I am using forehand serve and at times, I find it difficult to retrieve a close return net shot.

12. 96382

96382 Regular Member

Yes if you do short serves most of the time it is better to have the racquet leg in front of you - ready to pounce like in net play situations. But because your oponent is already waiting for the shuttle, that advantage can be turned - the receiver can go for placement or speed or deception. That can put you under a lot of pressure - maybe you can reach the well placed shuttle at the net better, but the other options are still there.

In both ways: You have to do the split step after your serve and get your feet ready for most possible returns. Read your opponents body language and adjust your position to that.

When you serve high and your opponent awaits it, take a defensive stand.
    Forhand serve low: while doing split step get your racquet leg in front of you. You end up standing similair to the backhand serve. Maybe some shots to your rearcourt are easier to reach from that start, others may not.

All in all, both are used in professional play, depending on how comfortable each player is with his serve and the experience he/she has gained with it.

It is not the way of serve that decides your return, but your footwork!

13. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    A player that plays a poor backhand serve sounds like a player that hasn't practiced their serve enough. Note: you could remove the word "backhand" and this statement would be true for all players, all serves whether using forehand or backhand!

Why do they serve backhand when its not a good serve? Because you have to start learning good technique somewhere! Its like if you are learning to do a jump smash. There is only so much practice you can do with a standing smash before you have to start hitting bad jump smashes, which eventually become good jump smashes!

Good luck to all you servers!

14. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    When I started playing badminton (many years ago) I used a forehand serve. This was a good easy action to play as a beginner to the game. I didn't need to serve tight to the net, all I was aiming to do was get it over the net and in the service box.

As I got better, I found that my forehand serve was starting to give the opponent too much time to react, so my coach told me to bend and tuck in my elbow so that the impact point was closer to the net.

This was better, gave my opponents less time to react whilst still allowing me to play a diagonal serve as well as flick serves well. However it was a little inconsistent when it came to playing low serves.

I then started to try the backhand serve, this allowed the contact point to be even closer to the net giving my opponent even less time to react. I was able to play low serves even more consistently as the shuttle was in front of me and I didn't need to tuck my elbows in, in an awkward swing motion.

As I had a strong backhand, flick serves weren't a problem so I had the best of both worlds. I can vary my serve with slices, play in-to-out angled serves and drive it flat which I wasn't able to do with the forehand serve.

Never looked back since... (except for today! :p)

Chirag Deshpande likes this.